Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

7 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for sharing the Legendary tile pics @canadianbear I don't have one and didn't know they're larger. Nice reminder of what sounds like a fabulous cruise.

It has been great-was a bucket list for me to snorkel in the South Pacific especially after we had to cancel a previous one.  My favourite was snorkeling with the sharks!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

It has been great-was a bucket list for me to snorkel in the South Pacific especially after we had to cancel a previous one.  My favourite was snorkeling with the sharks!  

Your pictures have been terrific. I almost went diving w/the sharks in So Africa but decided not to when I learned they lured them by chumming. They called it swimming, but then referred to it as "cage diving" as I researched more. I would love to have had what I consider (for me) is a once in a lifetime experience, but I can't support that treatment of animals. 😪🥺

I did snorkeling with stingrays once and just cannot imagine snorkeling w/sharks - good for you!! I am sure you'll enjoy those memories for a long time and hopefully have a great picture for your wall. 😊

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Your pictures have been terrific. I almost went diving w/the sharks in So Africa but decided not to when I learned they lured them by chumming. They called it swimming, but then referred to it as "cage diving" as I researched more. I would love to have had what I consider (for me) is a once in a lifetime experience, but I can't support that treatment of animals. 😪🥺

I did snorkeling with stingrays once and just cannot imagine snorkeling w/sharks - good for you!! I am sure you'll enjoy those memories for a long time and hopefully have a great picture for your wall. 😊

I hadn’t expected to like the snorkel with sharks but loved it and got so many videos. I’m so happy my old underwater camera worked so well.   A few years back we did the snorkel with whale sharks in La Paz and that too was amazing.  I also love snorkeling with turtles.  

Not sure where our next cruise will be as our son & his wife & their little one would like a Caribbean cruise & we’d love to go to watch over our grandson while they snorkeled.  The only time they can go is January or February.  

• Like 5

@BermudaBound2014 Thank you for this excellent LIVE thread and your tips for do-it-yourself on Hilo.  The whale watching excursion looked fantastic.  What company did you use?

@Breezy66We are thinking of booking a helicopter tour too.  Is there a reason you booked with Viatour instead of directly with the company?  What was the refund policy if the ship doesn’t make the port?

I will be on this cruise in 2025 and am trying to organize my Hawaii shore trip excursions.  I have HIA credit to use but prefer private excursions . If you or anyone else on the cruise have any suggestions , I would appreciate it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon from the magnificent Koningsdam where we are meandering along at 13 knots heading toward San Diego under bright blue skies and glass like sea conditions. Folks, it’s glorious!!

I’m in shorts and a T-shirt and it is nice and toasty in the sun, but the minute I sit in the shade I’m chilled. Temp in the app says 66 at 2:00 pm so we definitely aren’t anywhere near the equator any longer. 

Sadly, I have given up my playpen for the remainder of the cruise because with several towel blankets it’s still quite chilly. Even my exposed nose got cold yesterday while peaking out. A big difference from last week where the only way to chill a nose was to stick it on ice.  Not sure how to advise others to pack other than to say both the Heat Miser and the Snow Miser have made an appearance (BTW, that’s still one of my favorite Christmas tunes if that tells you anything about my state of maturity). 

Since there was no dance class today I decided to channel my inner Forest Gump and walk 5 miles up on deck 11 where it’s full sun with a gentle breeze. There literally isn’t a cloud in the sky today. Have I mentioned it is simply glorious? Well, It’s simply glorious. 

Yesterday, I discovered lime salad dressing at the deli and ate not one but three caprice salads (ok, one for lunch and two for dinner- they are small,  stop judging). Took 33 days for me to find it, but this stuff is legit. Nice and light, super refreshing type of dressing. Can’t be a lot of calories either which is a bonus. Don’t make the same mistake I did and be sure to try this out earlier in the cruise. I’d do shots of it if they’d let me.

Last night was more of the same. BBKings had the night off so we were all in Rolling Stones. The last set wrapped up at 11:15. Most folks were already in bed. Nightlife just isn’t HALs strong suit which is part of the reason they just can’t shake the dreadful (yet well known and decades old) stereotype as the cruise line for the “newly wed or nearly dead”.  It’s a shame really because there are many very active people onboard who are ready to help HAL put that negative image in the rear view mirror! HAL is trying too with the music hall, and they are getting really close. A few more tweaks and HAL can appeal quite strongly to the retired Gen Xers. 

IMO there is no better cruise line for offering unique itineraries at affordable prices and even though the entertainment schedule is lacking (my personal desires), I am excited to announce that a large group of us have had so much fun together that we have booked this itinerary in 2026!

For me, the timing of this trip is perfect. I can travel with hubby all of January (his slow month at work), jump on this girl for a spin around French Polynesian by myself, then meet hubby in Maui for 7 more weeks of sunshine and exceptional golfing. Life.Is.Grand. 

There are at least a dozen of us booked for 2025 and an other dozen booked for 2026 if that tells you anything about how much we have all enjoyed this cruise. When I say I have met life long friends onboard, it’s no joke. Many of us have become a cruise family over the last 33 days. Not only are we planning to cruise together again, but some of us have made plans to visit each others homes this summer and one couple may come meet hubby and i in Maui next month. Not sure if all long cruises are like this or not, but I will be forever grateful to both CC and social media for connecting me with “my people”.  They have elevated this cruise beyond measure. When things are all said and done, it’s the connections i have made that I will cherish mostly. I will be crying disembarkation day. 

Tonight is dressy and the third time they will be serving unlimited lobster at the lido. I can’t imagine anyone having a single complaint about the food or service onboard. It’s simply the best….

E955FCD0-1AA9-4BE2-A198-CB2ECD63D41E.jpeg

687D199C-F8BE-4FBE-959D-7B168F55EFA4.jpeg

871FF613-7C5B-4989-AA4C-1D16E756CE0E.png

27B49610-6ECF-4C4E-851A-4535B169E960.jpeg

664D66CE-EA43-4E29-9F58-BA61DC9CD5A5.jpeg

C595F453-1C9E-402B-8743-A98A970A9271.jpeg

Last nights sunset

113064ED-60B2-4E49-8B3B-025768D52416.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for sharing the Legendary tile pics @canadianbear I don't have one and didn't know they're larger. Nice reminder of what sounds like a fabulous cruise.

I wonder when the Legendary Voyage tiles were introduced? We were on the Tales of the South Pacific Legendary Voyage, and did not receive any tile, not even a regular one. But it sounds like there are a number of ways that Legendary Voyages are different now - a work in progress?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ineke said:

I wonder when the Legendary Voyage tiles were introduced? We were on the Tales of the South Pacific Legendary Voyage, and did not receive any tile, not even a regular one. But it sounds like there are a number of ways that Legendary Voyages are different now - a work in progress?

I honestly don’t know.  We booked this cruise ages ago and I’m sure it wasn’t called Legendary at that time.  We received regular tiles and then these ones so I am as surprised as everyone else.  It has been a wonderful cruise and yes, I think it’s a work in progress.  Plus the legendary bag too surprised us. 

• Like 3

Many thanks for your great live-from thread. I haven't chimed in a lot but I've been following you guys as you floated around the warm waters of the Pacific. 🏆🏆🏆

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There are at least a dozen of us booked for 2025 and an other dozen booked for 2026 if that tells you anything about how much we have all enjoyed this cruise. When I say I have met life long friends onboard, it’s no joke. Many of us have become a cruise family over the last 33 days.

Wow, what a nice endorsement. Unfortunately one thing I've learned from following along is that this cruise wouldn't be a great fit for me. 😭 When you first set off I had visions of booking it next year or the following one. I really appreciate this thread because it helped me see that -- wonderful as it is -- it wouldn't be my cup of tea at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@BermudaBound2014 Thank you so much for all of the great information. We look forward to meeting you next year. I do have a question for you and I know you must be very busy as this journey comes to an end. You mentioned having difficulty with an excursion. We have the same excursion booked using HIA credits. I may want to find a replacement, but wanted to hear from you. I know you said you were working with HAL and hoped for a solution. Is there anything you can share about this? Again, thank you so much!

• Like 1

We were on the cruise before this one and we normally do "self-disembarkation".  Well, I made a management decision to not do it this cruise, BIG MISTAKE.

We only had one bag but did not want to deal with it in the elevators and crowds etc as we were in no rush to debark.  So I put the suitcase outside our door.

We had breakfast in Lido and waited until called to disembark.  OMG we took the stairs the elevators were a nightmare.

We got into the terminal ok but despite it being later in the morning, the luggage was not unloaded and ready to be picked up!

They had us standing off to the side and wait and wait and wait we did.  It was very frustrating.

Never again, we will go back to "self-disembarkation".

We realize this was not HAL's fault but the long shoremen and I hope your return to San Diego is much smoother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Koningsdam Ball and Chocolate Surprise were a disappointment. By the time my husband and I finished our 7:30 fixed time dining, the venue was so packed the hallway in back was full as well. I guess that is to be expected when you invite over 2000 people to a room that holds maybe 300. We left after about 15 minutes of standing without a drink and went to another bar. But we were sad to miss the party, I don’t understand why they couldn’t use the lido deck so everyone could participate. 
These past seadays the events have seemed to be more crowded than the first part of the cruise. To play 30 minutes of trivia you have to show up 30 minutes early to get a seat. Every event seems people are turned away. It was not that way earlier in the cruise. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Nice to come back from breakfast & find these on our bed.  They are larger than the other tiles we received previously. 

IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

Leaving mine in my cabin. More unnecessary clutter. I appreciate it is a tradition but time to move on.

Edited by anniegb

1 minute ago, yellowjacket_cruiser said:

Koningsdam Ball and Chocolate Surprise were a disappointment. By the time my husband and I finished our 7:30 fixed time dining, the venue was so packed the hallway in back was full as well. I guess that is to be expected when you invite over 2000 people to a room that holds maybe 300. We left after about 15 minutes of standing without a drink and went to another bar. But we were sad to miss the party, I don’t understand why they couldn’t use the lido deck so everyone could participate. 
These past seadays the events have seemed to be more crowded than the first part of the cruise. To play 30 minutes of trivia you have to show up 30 minutes early to get a seat. Every event seems people are turned away. It was not that way earlier in the cruise. 

Agree venues are too small to support these type of events.  We never got in to the gala either as people went to trivia and very few ever left just stayed there.  I’m sure it was another great evening at BBKings but again too small of a venue.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, yellowjacket_cruiser said:

Well I was there and chocolate surprise was for me - no chocolate offered.

Management know these public venues cannot possibly accommodate everyone who wants to attend. One of the drawbacks of ever larger ships.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yellowjacket_cruiser said:

Only 30 minutes early? You were lucky!

1 hour ago, anniegb said:

Well I was there and chocolate surprise was for me - no chocolate offered.

Management know these public venues cannot possibly accommodate everyone who wants to attend. One of the drawbacks of ever larger ships.

I don’t understand, it was for you because you don’t like chocolate? I am hoping they fix some of these things before next year. Especially trivia; it is our favorite thing we do. Janet

• Like 2

I hope everyone who posted about the Ball and Chocolate Surprise remembers to put this information on your post cruise survey.  I think using the Lido pool would be nice too.

Safe travels home everyone.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We booked this cruise ages ago and I’m sure it wasn’t called Legendary at that time.

I just checked on two future bookings.  They are listed as Legendary.  I had no idea they were Legendary when I booked them.  The cruise you are on being one of them - the 2026 voyage w/same itinerary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anniegb said:

Leaving mine in my cabin. More unnecessary clutter. I appreciate it is a tradition but time to move on.

Someone posted on Facebook.  If you leave something for the crew or whomever can use it- you must label it Crew or by name, otherwise they save it at lost and found, thinking maybe you want it back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@BermudaBound2014  I enjoyed following along on your adventure on the Konigsdam.  We look forward to meeting you on the 2025 Legendary Voyage.   It sounds like a wonderful trip with caveats such as make your own fun and be prepared for crowding because of poorly scheduled events.   Have safe travels home and will see you in 2025.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

We were on the cruise before this one and we normally do "self-disembarkation".  Well, I made a management decision to not do it this cruise, BIG MISTAKE.

We only had one bag but did not want to deal with it in the elevators and crowds etc as we were in no rush to debark.  So I put the suitcase outside our door.

We had breakfast in Lido and waited until called to disembark.  OMG we took the stairs the elevators were a nightmare.

We got into the terminal ok but despite it being later in the morning, the luggage was not unloaded and ready to be picked up!

They had us standing off to the side and wait and wait and wait we did.  It was very frustrating.

We realize this was not HAL's fault but the long shoremen and I hope your return to San Diego is much smoother.

Unfortunate to hear - not the way you want to end a cruise. Safe travels home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

Yikes 😳…I have a feeling ours will not go smooth either.  Guess I’m thankful now we have a later flight and not in a rush.  We have one bag each but also carry on so no way can do the self disembarkation this time.  After being away 38 days we’ve had to reshuffle our suitcases to get under the 50 pound limit 🤦‍♀️….shouldn’t have bought those 2 duty free bottles on the ship 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2