Will This Dagnosis Code from Ship Medical Center Be Adequate for Insurance Coverage?

psberg

I’m currently on HAL Westerdam and get off in Tokyo in 2 days.  I picked up a cold with a hacking cough which has been going on for about 9 days.  Saw the ship’s doctor 2 days ago and was given amoxicillin and cough syrup.  Also took a Covid test (negative).  I bought trip insurance with primary medical and zero deductible.  When I received the ship’s invoice (over $200) for the visit, the diagnosis code was R05 Cough.  No further info.  Is this sufficient to support an insurance claim?  It seems to reflect the symptom rather than a diagnosis.  I would like to know whether I should request additional information to support a claim before I leave the ship.

54 minutes ago, psberg said:

I’m currently on HAL Westerdam and get off in Tokyo in 2 days.  I picked up a cold with a hacking cough which has been going on for about 9 days.  Saw the ship’s doctor 2 days ago and was given amoxicillin and cough syrup.  Also took a Covid test (negative).  I bought trip insurance with primary medical and zero deductible.  When I received the ship’s invoice (over $200) for the visit, the diagnosis code was R05 Cough.  No further info.  Is this sufficient to support an insurance claim?  It seems to reflect the symptom rather than a diagnosis.  I would like to know whether I should request additional information to support a claim before I leave the ship.

We have found that travel insurance is not as difficult as some home (USA anyway) health insurance in terms of "covering something".

This is just our experience, but if there is a legitimate bill for medical treatment or meds/etc., then the claim was paid without question.  But they do need a receipt!

Perhaps this depends upon insurers?

GC

3 hours ago, psberg said:

Let's see if we can get Hank in on this. He has experience.

Calling @Hlitner to the white courtesy phone

7 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

We have found that travel insurance is not as difficult as some home (USA anyway) health insurance in terms of "covering something".

This is just our experience, but if there is a legitimate bill for medical treatment or meds/etc., then the claim was paid without question.  But they do need a receipt!

Perhaps this depends upon insurers?

GC

Thanks for responding.  I visited Guest Services today and they advised that I would need to pay a fee to get more records released.  I decided I would file the claim first.  If the insurer balks at paying, then I would have to go back to HAL to try to get the information.

55 minutes ago, psberg said:

Thanks for responding.  I visited Guest Services today and they advised that I would need to pay a fee to get more records released.  I decided I would file the claim first.  If the insurer balks at paying, then I would have to go back to HAL to try to get the information.

Please double check about getting those records from a Ship's Medical Center *after* you have disembarked.  That may not be easy...

What travel insurer do you have?

You sound like it's very "iffy"....?

GC

On 2/14/2024 at 7:42 PM, psberg said:

Hi psberg,

Did you already contact who you bought your policy from for their help? If not, call or email them so they can help you with your claim.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo