Walk In At Manhattan Cruise Terminal

tmal2

We are boarding Getaway tomorrow and staying at a hotel just up the street and plan on walking to the terminal in the morning. Is there a specific location that walk on passengers have to go to? I know the drop off area for cars is upstairs. What do walk ups do?

Thanks

@tmal2

We've been dropped off at street level by an Uber in the past.  

There are porters for incoming passengers down at that level.  You can give them your bags if you are checking those.

There are elevators going up to the check-in level from the street level.

Edited by JandC_Cruising

22 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

@tmal2

We've been dropped off at street level by an Uber in the past.  

There are porters for incoming passengers down at that level.  You can give them your bags if you are checking those.

There are elevators going up to the check-in level from the street level.

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, UKstages said:

go to 48th street and twelfth avenue and just walk across the street. there will be porter(s) to take your bags, then head up in the elevator.

We are staying on 48th..just up the street from pier 88. Hopefully that's the the ship will be at. Otherwise I may have to walk 5 minutes farther. LOL

it's either going to be 88 or 90.

it's been 88 for almost every cruise this year. the only reason it might shift is if there is another ship in town, which io don[t think there is tomorrow. have a great cruise!

Here are some photos from the MCT Pier 88 area, should help ... very easy with traffic lights to safely cross wide 12th Ave. Looking at the corner of W.48th St & 12th Ave. from different angles - giant elevators & escalators will going up & down to level 2 for embarkation.  You can't possibly miss seeing the GA walking toward the Hudson River and Pier 90 is right next berth over.

PXL_20220923_130454696.thumb.jpg.c42687e519eac54077edc52907e60822.jpg

PXL_20220923_130506062.thumb.jpg.a06fd479f70a92ab31c8adf6637d0224.jpg

PXL_20220923_124554123.thumb.jpg.fc2b26792c48e4815adc382beeb51946.jpg

Happy cruising ... Bonus generic info-guide 

18 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Here are some photos from the MCT Pier 88 area, should help ... very easy with traffic lights to safely cross wide 12th Ave. Looking at the corner of W.48th St & 12th Ave. from different angles - giant elevators & escalators will going up & down to level 2 for embarkation.  You can't possibly miss seeing the GA walking toward the Hudson River and Pier 90 is right next berth over.

Thank you, we did walk the area today and noticed all the large gates that were closed..I'm assuming they will be open tomorrow.

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

I would like to add to not bother trying to take the footbridge over 12th avenue.  There is a staircase at the ship end but no ramp (there is a ramp at the other end) which is a problem if you have luggage. Maybe not for someone young but it was a problem for me.  There was a sign at the door to the Intrepid museum to call a certain number for access.  Its easier just to cross the street on foot. There is a well marked crosswalk, lights and also a cop there directly traffic.  Plenty of people and activity around

16 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

We walked across that earlier today. Since we are staying on 48th that would a tally be out of our way since we can cross right there.

3 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

We walked across that earlier today. Since we are staying on 48th that would a tally be out of our way since we can cross right there.

Some people might think that crossing 12 th ave would be scary and or dangerous. It wasnt. The footbridge, in my opinion, was not worth the effort.  That's why I wrote to not bother with it. 

4 hours ago, tmal2 said:

Thank you, we did walk the area today and noticed all the large gates that were closed..I'm assuming they will be open tomorrow.

The gates are only open when a ship is in port. They will be open tomorrow

I know I'm too late to the party...I'm still going to throw out Sullivan St. Bakery for breakfast. Get it when you disembark (if disembarking at MCT). You can't go wrong! I know, I know...I'm a broken record about that place.

Hope you had a pleasant walk.

@Smitheroo I had to laugh at your "too scary" regarding 12th Ave. Not at you, but certainly not a hard highway to cross. There's red lights, y'all! It's Manhattan.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:15 PM, cruiseny4life said:

I know I'm too late to the party...I'm still going to throw out Sullivan St. Bakery for breakfast. Get it when you disembark (if disembarking at MCT). You can't go wrong! I know, I know...I'm a broken record about that place.

Hope you had a pleasant walk.

@Smitheroo I had to laugh at your "too scary" regarding 12th Ave. Not at you, but certainly not a hard highway to cross. There's red lights, y'all! It's Manhattan.

I know!  It wasnt scary at all. But it could have been.  It has a great crosswalk and lights. So what is the purpose of the footbridge? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

I know!  It wasnt scary at all. But it could have been.  It has a great crosswalk and lights. So what is the purpose of the footbridge? 

The footbridge is two blocks south at 46th St and is there to ease crossing 12th Ave. for those visiting the Intrepid Museum.

You're only going to have a police presence to control traffic at the 48th St crosswalk on days when a ship is in port, while the Intrepid is open virtually every day of the year and by having the footbridge there isn't the continual disruption of traffic on 12th Ave. by pedestrians crossing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The footbridge is two blocks south at 46th St and is there to ease crossing 12th Ave. for those visiting the Intrepid Museum.

You're only going to have a police presence to control traffic at the 48th St crosswalk on days when a ship is in port, while the Intrepid is open virtually every day of the year and by having the footbridge there isn't the continual disruption of traffic on 12th Ave. by pedestrians crossing.

Doesnt the lights still change at 46th street regardless of whether there are passengers crossing or do you mean passengers crossing against the light. I crossed at the footbridge and there was a cop at that crossing. At least I think it was 46th st. I know I came off the footbridge, walked down to 12th ave and waited till I got the green light to cross. There was a cop right there screaming directions at the cars coming out of the pier.   I made a dry run the day before (I didnt notice how the footbridge didnt have a ramp on the water side since I didnt have a suitcase on the dry run) and like you said, no cop that day and also no ship.  The day of the sailing was obvious.  Lots of people and activity

29 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Doesnt the lights still change at 46th street regardless of whether there are passengers crossing or do you mean passengers crossing against the light

There are "Walk" buttons that pedestrians can push to initiate a traffic signal change that would stop traffic on 12th Ave. That can result in traffic backing up . It's also there to discourage people from crossing against the light.

Again, the main reason for having the footbridge there is for visitors to the Intrepid Museum. The footbridge goes to the museum reception building. 

Edited by njhorseman

48 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There are "Walk" buttons that pedestrians can push to initiate a traffic signal change that would stop traffic on 12th Ave. That can result in traffic backing up . It's also there to discourage people from crossing against the light.

Again, the main reason for having the footbridge there is for visitors to the Intrepid Museum. The footbridge goes to the museum reception building. 

as long as you dont have luggage the footbridge is fine if someone preferred that for some reason.  Maybe they should warn people before starting out on it that there is no ramp on the other side. There is a sign with a number to call for access at the Intrepid museum building.  It doesnt actually say  "footbridge to the Intrepid ship" (if it does, I missed) so it would be nice for someone to know that there is no ramp on the other side.  The staircase is fine if you have no luggage and for some people, it might be okay with luggage but I wasnt going to take a chance

officially known as the "pier 86 pedestrian bridge," it was designed in the 90s to provide easy access to both the intrepid and the circle line cruise pier. it wasn't completed and opened until the early 2000s.

prior to the introduction of the footbridge, there was just a painted crosswalk and it was kind of a deathtrap, although i'm not sure anyone was actually hit.  also, tour busses and cars used to be able to pull up near the intrepid, but once hudson river park and its bike paths were built, that was no longer possible. that's why the footbridge was developed at a cost of something like ten million dollars, if memory serves, mostly due to construction surprises along the way.

22 hours ago, UKstages said:

officially known as the "pier 86 pedestrian bridge," it was designed in the 90s to provide easy access to both the intrepid and the circle line cruise pier. it wasn't completed and opened until the early 2000s.

prior to the introduction of the footbridge, there was just a painted crosswalk and it was kind of a deathtrap, although i'm not sure anyone was actually hit.  also, tour busses and cars used to be able to pull up near the intrepid, but once hudson river park and its bike paths were built, that was no longer possible. that's why the footbridge was developed at a cost of something like ten million dollars, if memory serves, mostly due to construction surprises along the way.

thanks for the explanation.  I remember the Circle Line tours from my youth but the Intrepid wasnt there nor the parks. Its all very nice.   I see to recall running across the street dodging traffic and under overhead rails or maybe just overhead roadway back in the 1960's to get to the ships. Was there a major cleanup of that area since then?  Im assuming that the "docks" were in the same area as the current pier is now.  I cant remember how I got from the Port Authority down to the docks, must have walked.   Fun times!   I could answer this question if I researched old newspapers as the shipping schedules gave the locations. 

Edited by Smitheroo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

thanks for the explanation.  I remember the Circle Line tours from my youth but the Intrepid wasnt there nor the parks. Its all very nice.   I see to recall running across the street dodging traffic and under overhead rails or maybe just overhead roadway back in the 1960's to get to the ships. Was there a major cleanup of that area since then?  Im assuming that the "docks" were in the same area as the current pier is now.  I cant remember how I got from the Port Authority down to the docks, must have walked.   Fun times!   I could answer this question if I researched old newspapers as the shipping schedules gave the locations. 

Too late to edit.....  Just googled "NYC docks in 1960's" and they were where they are now.  They must have cleaned up the road in front of them.   There were also some docks down by Greenwich Village. I remember visiting HAL liners there.  My friend and I were 19, got picked up by some foreign guys (turned out to be crew from the SS Rotterdam in Washington square. Had a few drinks, walked a long way down to the ship and they showed us all around the deserted ship.  Good grief, that could have turned bad but they were very nice young men.