San Francisco to Alaska Question about Weather

kpgibbs

Hello,

I will be cruising June 6th, 2024, from San Francisco to Alaska.  We are at sea the first three days.  What kind of weather can we expect the first two days?  Just wondering how warm it will be.

Thank you.  

We have done this cruise a number of times, and even in June you can expect the weather heading out of San Francisco and up the Pacific Northwest Coast can be cool. I would never classify it on any of our trips as warm - even in the nicest weather conditions. There have been some trips where that passage has been downright cold and windy - definitely not pool weather. There is an old joke attributed to Mark Twain, who apparently said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". This unfortunately has some truth in that it can be quite cold and foggy. Just prepare for it to be cool and be pleasantly surprised if it is warm!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

There is an old joke attributed to Mark Twain, who apparently said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

While it is often attributed to him, he never actually said that.

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

This unfortunately has some truth in that it can be quite cold and foggy.

That hasn't really been true in a long time. When I first moved to the Bay Area in 1996, there was fog 300+ days a year and the temperature rarely made it into the 80s. By the time we moved to Vancouver ten years ago, that was down to maybe 30, and these days, SF often sees temperatures into the 90s and 100s.

3 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

That hasn't really been true in a long time. When I first moved to the Bay Area in 1996, there was fog 300+ days a year and the temperature rarely made it into the 80s. By the time we moved to Vancouver ten years ago, that was down to maybe 30, and these days, SF often sees temperatures into the 90s and 100s.

Often is not true.  It is only likely to have maybe 10 or days maximum per year of temperatures above 90 degrees. and there clearly is fog/overcast way more than 30 days per year, particularly along the coast.  Now if you go inland, it can be very different weather with a variance from San Francisco to the far East Bay of up to 30 or more degrees 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I'm not really sure what you are talking about, but it is not San Francisco in June. Just take a peak at the averages for June in 2023. The highest temp on any day for the entire month was 68 with 18 cloudy days and 12 sunny days. And once you get out of the Bay heading up the Pacific Coast in open waters, it can be quite cool and windy. I've done the San Fran to Alaska cruise 6 times, and I can assure you it was never in the 90's to 100's at any point along the way going or coming back.

• Like 3

As a long-term East Bay resident, and who’s sailed north to Alaska many times in May/June, it’s always been cool, and often overcast the first few days leaving SF. Certainly not Caribbean pool weather by any means! Blankets are in good supply poolside. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m with all of you that say SF is cool, misty, and cloudy most all of the summer. Only a freak day would you ever hit 90+. Now, inland is a different story😊

• Like 3

It's always a crap shoot for weather in SF.  Even the day prior is no indication of the next day.  Plan for layers leaving SF and Alaska.  We went in September from Vancouver and coming back to SF.  In Alaska we wore long sleeves and ski vests even when up on the glacier.  We had very little rain.  We had friends pass us going north the next week and they got rain every day and were cold.  Glacier Bay will be very cold we couldn't put on enough clothing to keep warm.