Reliability of Pre Booked Ubers?

We really hate going on cruise ship bus tours and always look for alternatives. In Brisbane we'd like to go to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. From what I've read, taxis are expensive and Ubers can go to surge pricing. Figure the best way to go is to pre book and Uber. Any thoughts?

Hi Yehootu

One thought to look at, get the ship bus shuttle to the CBD, there is a river cruise to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary from the Cultural Centre River Pontoon. A short walk from the CBD, costs $99 Leaves 9am returns 1:30pm from Sanctuary, arrives 2:45pm back in Brisbane with 3h 15min at the sanctuary.

For information and to book, contact Mirimar Cruises:
Ph: 0412 749 426
Email: info@mirimarcruises.com.au

8 hours ago, Yehootu said:

We really hate going on cruise ship bus tours and always look for alternatives. In Brisbane we'd like to go to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. From what I've read, taxis are expensive and Ubers can go to surge pricing. Figure the best way to go is to pre book and Uber. Any thoughts?

If 9.00am doesn't work there are also taxis and busses from the CBD. 

https://lonepinekoalasanctuary.com/getting-here/

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Yehootu

One thought to look at, get the ship bus shuttle to the CBD, there is a river cruise to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary from the Cultural Centre River Pontoon. A short walk from the CBD, costs $99 Leaves 9am returns 1:30pm from Sanctuary, arrives 2:45pm back in Brisbane with 3h 15min at the sanctuary.

For information and to book, contact Mirimar Cruises:
Ph: 0412 749 426
Email: info@mirimarcruises.com.au

The trip on the Mirimar is OK, but it takes a lot of time when a visitor doesn't have much spare time.

Other alternatives are to go from the CBD to Lone Pine by taxi ($35-$45), or by public bus. The bus is #445 that departs from Stop #12 at the City Hall in Ann Street (in the middle of the CBD). The journey takes 36 minutes and it runs every hour. Departures are at 8.30, 9.30 etc and the cost is only a few dollars per person. You can pay with your credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). You need to 'tap' the card onto the reader on the bus when you board and also when you leave the bus. You should get off the bus at stop No. 42. It is a 3 minute walk to the Sanctuary.

10 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Yes indeed. Anywhere in the world a 32km taxi ride from one side of a city to the other would be expensive. An Uber will be less, but still expensive. I am not big on bus travel, but it is only for transit. We sussed out the same tour for late 2022, but met up with friends for lunch instead.

Taxi is around $80 each way, Uber around $60 each way. Add your Sanctuary ticket prices of $54 each, and for 2 people in $AU, and for a rough comparison:

Ship tour (also includes Mt Cootha lookout): $300

Return ship transfers to city plus ferry and admission: $280

Taxi and admission: $268 (variable)

Uber and admission: $228 (variable). I would suggest pre-booking your Uber for both trips anyway. Not so much for the price, but to ensure availability.

Going independent is more flexible, and I get that you are not tied to a rigid itinerary. I am not a fan of inflated priced ship bus tours either and tend to avoid them. Personally though, for a days experience in a foreign port, there isn't enough of a price difference for me to overlook the easy option and use up some OBC. We have spent quite a few hours on tour buses in Hawaii, and had lots of fun. Maholo.

The most economical way to get to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary would be by the ship's shuttle bus to the CBD (if the return time is flexible), then a public bus. Taking the bus would only take 15 minutes longer than a taxi but, because the bus only goes every 30 minutes, it would probably involve extra time while waiting for the next bus.

I wouldn't be took keen on booking an Uber to pick me up from the cruise terminal. My experience is that if the pick-up location is a bit out of the way (as the cruise terminal is), sometimes the Uber simply doesn't turn up. I and also my daughter, have had that happen a few times when booking an Uber to pick us up from either my home, or hers.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The most economical way to get to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary would be by the ship's shuttle bus to the CBD (if the return time is flexible), then a public bus. Taking the bus would only take 15 minutes longer than a taxi but, because the bus only goes every 30 minutes, it would probably involve extra time while waiting for the next bus.

I wouldn't be took keen on booking an Uber to pick me up from the cruise terminal. My experience is that if the pick-up location is a bit out of the way (as the cruise terminal is), sometimes the Uber simply doesn't turn up. I and also my daughter, have had that happen a few times when booking an Uber to pick us up from either my home, or hers.

That's kinda of what I was looking for. I have ship tour already booked, It's Sold Out now, but was looking for longer at Sanctuary. Guess we'll ride Da Bus.   Mahalo

Glad I pre booked the Koala holding and pictures for my wife.

• Like 1