Booking specialty dining on Premier

Thascales

Hi all,

Never sailed on Princess before so just wanted some advice. 
We’ve booked a Princess cruise and the premier upgrade means we have two specialty meals available to us.  
When I go to book it on the app, it tries to charge me rather than letting me use the premier upgrade. 
Anyone  one know how we can book it without having to pay? 

No, it's not that your cruise must be paid in full. Many people have this issue (or confusion). It *looks* as if it is going to charge you at the beginning of the transaction,  but if it "senses" properly that you have Premier it *should* zero out at the final screen. Some people have posted that this may not work properly...if it doesn't work for you then you can get it refunded while on board, usually back to OBC.

My bad on paid in full, wasn't too sure.

I did have this exact issue with the app. I previously made a reservation for Sabatini's through the app no problem. I later tried it for Sterling Steakhouse and it wanted to charge me. Others suggested to use the web version of the app to make reservations. I decided to give it a try that and it worked no problem. So it might not hurt for OP to try as well. Much easier than trying to get refunded while on board.

5 hours ago, Thascales said:

Hi all,

Never sailed on Princess before so just wanted some advice. 
We’ve booked a Princess cruise and the premier upgrade means we have two specialty meals available to us.  
When I go to book it on the app, it tries to charge me rather than letting me use the premier upgrade. 
Anyone  one know how we can book it without having to pay? 

I had the same problem. Be careful as I used the advice to do via the web where it showed no charge. It still charged me. 

When I called Princess I learned that it was charging me because we were not fully paid up. It won’t show up free until you’ve fully paid the cruise and not just the deposit. 

12 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

I had the same problem. Be careful as I used the advice to do via the web where it showed no charge. It still charged me. 

When I called Princess I learned that it was charging me because we were not fully paid up. It won’t show up free until you’ve fully paid the cruise and not just the deposit. 

I was fully paid up and waa only able to book 1 free, charged for other bookings- hope to get refund for the second 

22 hours ago, Disco340 said:

Others suggested to use the web version of the app to make reservations. I decided to give it a try that and it worked no problem. 

The "web version" is the *only* way I try to do dining reservations...either standard or specialty.  It just seems to offer a better track record of success.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:33 AM, kenzie said:

I was fully paid up and waa only able to book 1 free, charged for other bookings- hope to get refund for the second 

Did you cancel one of your reservations and then book a replacement for another restaurant, time, or day?

On 2/19/2024 at 2:52 AM, jagoffee said:

Did you cancel one of your reservations and then book a replacement for another restaurant, time, or day?

No - I was booking 5 speciality, 2 I thought should be free but it only allowed me 1 free. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Sun Princess in late April, paid in full of course. I went to book our two included specialty dinings and was charged for them. Even less confidence inspiring is that there is absolutely nothing to show we paid for them except it being in my credit card's transaction history. No receipt from Princess nor does anything in the Personalizer or Medallion App show that we made these payments. I'm not going to be surprised if when we get on board and we try to get it fixed (do I see the host at one of the specialty restaurants? Or Passenger Services?) that they tell us those are our two included meals and they have no record of us paying.

I am always amazed how people think they need to book in advance. We have been on 60 Princess cruises and have never ever had any issue with getting into the venues on the same day we decide to eat there. I have never seen any of the venues full after 7:30 or 8:00. We generally look at the dinner menu in the morning and if there is nothing that hits our fancy we get a reservation through the dine line. They never book every table in advance

Edited by memoak

We have premier and I booked on app and my credit card was charged. I called Princess who advised me it would be rectified on board, I advised them I wasn’t happy as we don’t sail until 27/4 and will be out of pocket until then …..they weren’t prepared to refund 

Our experience is in a similar thread and we were charged for our 2 specialty dinners despite having the Premier Package . Onboard told yes we would be refunded and had constant help and advice from the Princess person back home tasked with finding out why the refund  was not returned . The refund came approx 4 months later , happy that it was resolved but there were many emails involved and a fair amount of angst . Seems a shame that Princess is still mis managing this . Having said that , our next cruise later this month seems to have the 2 reservations in place with no charge yet !🤷‍♂️

I cancelled the two I had booked which given how far out I am from the cruise should trigger refunds. I then tried using Chat on the website to ask why I wasn't seeing my dining credits. The chat agent tried booking them and encountered the same problem. He opened a ticket but I doubt anything will happen. Given memoak's comment above, if needed, we'll try booking on board.

6 hours ago, memoak said:

I am always amazed how people think they need to book in advance. We have been on 60 Princess cruises and have never ever had any issue with getting into the venues on the same day we decide to eat there. I have never seen any of the venues full after 7:30 or 8:00. We generally look at the dinner menu in the morning and if there is nothing that hits our fancy we get a reservation through the dine line. They never book every table in advance

The cruise before our last one only had 9:00 available when we booked on board for both dinners. And Crown had no time. 

On 2/29/2024 at 10:36 AM, Shone216 said:

We have premier and I booked on app and my credit card was charged. I called Princess who advised me it would be rectified on board, I advised them I wasn’t happy as we don’t sail until 27/4 and will be out of pocket until then …..they weren’t prepared to refund 

If you cancel the reservations, you should a refund to the original form of payment.  
if you currently try to book additional nights, does the AP tell you that you have credits to use?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, 2and2 said:

The cruise before our last one only had 9:00 available when we booked on board for both dinners. And Crown had no time. 

Go to the venues themselves as I said we have always been able to get in. It helps to get to know the managers.  And we have no issue with late dining even at home we rarely eat before 8:00

Edited by memoak

It took us 2 1/2 hours to eat at Sabatinis two weeks ago on Regal. I am not complaining, just saying I personally think if you can reserve a good time pre cruise, why not.

• 1 month later...
On 2/29/2024 at 11:19 AM, memoak said:

We have been on several as well and so far have had zero luck getting into Crown Grill because we had no reservations! Maybe one day!

52 minutes ago, RDJ said:

We have been on several as well and so far have had zero luck getting into Crown Grill because we had no reservations! Maybe one day!

Have you tried eating at 8:00 or so and just walking up ?  

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Have you tried eating at 8:00 or so and just walking up ?  

We have tried walking up and we have tried going when they first open and we always turned away. We have not tried walking up at 8, we’d never eat dinner that late lol