ASCENT 2/4 to 2/11/2024 – Awesome – The “Ooops"

NCL seems to be a better fit for you. Sorry that you had to suffer while sailing on such a beautiful ship. It’s funny but I thought the burger was very good, I mean it’s not my mom’s hand made, but it was tasty and no tummy issues. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Nice.  We have our oldest son in Texas near Austin and 2 GKs.  What an eyeopener going to the grocery store (the size of a small mall back north in the summer) the first time and see the # of butchers and the % of custom cuts (and the size) and the size of the 'meat department.'

Seriously, we could use a golf cart for the entire store.

Down here in FLL for the non-summer, we can't comparatively find meat to a 10th of the scale (quality, cut) and everything is prepackaged (generally, no meat counter or live butchers) even in the large grocery chain stores.

In the summer, we have these though.

image.thumb.jpeg.88c6e186f1d156d59c0b03cf8e1d2769.jpeg

nice lobsta!

BTW  we get great meat here on West coast of Fla..   Many ranches mid state..  I guess you avoid most  food in the buffet as it sits out for who knows how long....

Wonder what you'll dislike on your next  X cruise!

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, SouKnoMe said:

NCL seems to be a better fit for you. Sorry that you had to suffer while sailing on such a beautiful ship. It’s funny but I thought the burger was very good, I mean it’s not my mom’s hand made, but it was tasty and no tummy issues. 

We've done and will do Celebrity (demographics and age group, best MDR at sea, Solarium and ship non-amenities - slides, roller coasters, go-carts), MSC (Yacht Club, upcoming B2B Seascape, a different experience and a treat), NCL (Haven or Spa Balcony, Mandara Spa, the best at sea for us, for a couple hours a day, cool atrium game shows, Food Republic) and Royal (Oasis and Quantum Classes, for promenade activities, up top water venues Flo Rida, iFly etc. and specialty dining). 

As you can see, each have something we particularly like for different experiences.

Celebrity a good fit and and a highly upgraded experience with the E Class ships.  We were 99% over the top happy with the cruise and have another 2/3rds of the ship to experience.  Will be on 12/1 and 12/8 B2B.

The two issues weren't cruise enders, just offered as "Ooops" FYI.

We simply didn't eat the hamburgers at the Mast Grill if served out of the warmer knowing that they cooked them 1-2 hours earlier.  We will ask for a fresh cooked burger next time and see what happens, or go later when they run out of the precooked and see the grill being used. A YouTuber cruise reviewer compared the NCL burger to the Carnival burger; hands down to Carnival because NCL precooked the burgers and put in an oven warmer. 

The beverage package was an experiment, we learned.  It wouldn't be any different on any other line if we tried there likely.  Not really a big deal as spouse doesn't drink (a half a sparkling once or twice). Not a fan of the 'both in stateroom must have package' policy given such, but we'll go back to it.  I'll likely be buying some 'friends some drinks' more casually, especially noting those cash paying.  😏

2 hours ago, hcat said:

nice lobsta!

BTW  we get great meat here on West coast of Fla..   Many ranches mid state..  I guess you avoid most  food in the buffet as it sits out for who knows how long....

On Silhouette in December 10N SC, we did the buffet for breakfast and lunch quite a bit. Celebrity buffets are well known for one of the best at sea along with the MDR, which we did all but one night.  Did a thread on that cruise, excellent. We usually do the live carvings in the buffet and snag some hot fries for lunch. Sometimes fresh pizza or pasta.  Not big eaters.  We go before the stampede as we are up real early and our day timeline is pre-most.  We do enjoy watching the stampede as we're seated. 😀

Next X cruise is 12/1 and 12/8 B2B Ascent.  Will look for a live cooked burger at the Mast grill and have the beverage package (premium upgrade via CC); so those "Ooops" can't repeat.  

Looking quite forward to seeing and experiencing the other 2/3rds of 'everything' on the Ascent.

3 hours ago, hcat said:

nice lobsta!

IMHO the buffet is a mess.  Way too many people to make it a classy experience.  I avoid at all costs.  It takes way too long to get an omelet in the morning.

Is the popularity because people can pile on the food?  No servers either ...

Edited by NMTraveller

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

IMHO the buffet is a mess.  Way too many people to make it a classy experience.  I avoid at all costs.  It takes way too long to get an omelet in the morning.

Is the popularity because people can pile on the food?  No servers either ...

The buffet (all) is (are) a topic for its own.

Our take previously posted re: entertainment value, with an edit ~

Actually, IMO there is no better entertainment at sea than a view vantage observation seat and table near the center of the breakfast or lunch 'buffet' (various names on ships) during the cattle drive.  Love it.  Such balance, grip and gravity mastery of volumes of plates, entrees, sides and extra's despite hip checks, elbows and the famous and frequent "immediate stoppers and directional shifters" and of course the irony of the "last minute dash to get the Diet Coke."  😉

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Nice.  We have our oldest son in Texas near Austin and 2 GKs.  What an eyeopener going to the grocery store (the size of a small mall back north in the summer) the first time and see the # of butchers and the % of custom cuts (and the size) and the size of the 'meat department.'

Yes sir.  We are very fortunate.  There is usually just two of us and they will even cut a brisket to "our size".  😋

• Like 1

I’m on the Ascent now and like it so much I booked two more Edge class sailings. 

1. I have the zero proof package. I was also confused about the additional tip on alcoholic drinks. I first tipped extra and then didn’t when I realized it said gratuity was included. I didn’t notice any particular difference in service. I booked a zero proof on my upcoming sailing with my mom because neither of us are big drinkers. Just doesn’t make sense. I’ve only had about 4 alcoholic drinks the whole trip. 

2. I thought the food at the mast grill wasn’t great. But is it EVER really great at the complimentary pool deck grills? I can’t remember one cruise where that food has been good. The specialty restaurants have been great, which is what I care about. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The buffet (all) is (are) a topic for its own.

Our take previously posted re: entertainment value, with an edit ~

Actually, IMO there is no better entertainment at sea than a view vantage observation seat and table near the center of the breakfast or lunch 'buffet' (various names on ships) during the cattle drive.  Love it.  Such balance, grip and gravity mastery of volumes of plates, entrees, sides and extra's despite hip checks, elbows and the famous and frequent "immediate stoppers and directional shifters" and of course the irony of the "last minute dash to get the Diet Coke."  😉

I always thought that the best entertainment at sea was the dinners on the magic carpet while the ship was moving.  Imagine dining with 30 MPH + winds ...  My business plan was to rent baseball gloves so that the diners could catch the food and napkins that were flying around.  😉  A real show if you have not seen it before ...

Are they still serving dinner out there with the ship moving?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, roxannex said:

I’m on the Ascent now and like it so much I booked two more Edge class sailings. 

1. I have the zero proof package. I was also confused about the additional tip on alcoholic drinks. I first tipped extra and then didn’t when I realized it said gratuity was included. I didn’t notice any particular difference in service. I booked a zero proof on my upcoming sailing with my mom because neither of us are big drinkers. Just doesn’t make sense. I’ve only had about 4 alcoholic drinks the whole trip. 

Nice, glad you're having a good time.  Absolutely beautiful ship in all regards.

I guess having only four alcoholic drinks you only good four slips after showing your card?  Glad you didn't notice any difference in service or get any nastiness from a server when signing the slip with only the auto gratuity.

22 hours ago, roxannex said:

2. I thought the food at the mast grill wasn’t great. But is it EVER really great at the complimentary pool deck grills? I can’t remember one cruise where that food has been good. The specialty restaurants have been great, which is what I care about. 

We had another thread on our review of our 10N SC Silhouette sailing in December, our first post-pandemic cruise and  first Celebrity since 2013.  It was great.  We booked last minute and could only muster a mid-deck veranda and MDR (Select).

That's where we first notice the "change" in the Mast Grill from our numerous cruises of the Solstice Class ships where we frequented it for just a burger or a dog and a drink most days 2013 and prior where our burgers and dogs were cooked to order and served hot off the grill.  That changed.  The burger was disgusting on Silhouette, one ate a bit the other tried to kill it with ketchup. Both nauseous after for a while.  So, yes it used to be really great on the pool deck and a BIG difference from other lines we sailed.

I subsequently happened upon the Mast Grill out for my daily 1-1.5 hour mid-morning walk as I was drawn to the smoke and aroma of gilling burgers.  It was 10-10:30AM daily.  We then recalled when we got our first burger (and last) that nothing was on the grill and they got them from a warmer underneath the counter.  Put 2 and 2 together and got 4.

We observed the same on Ascent on our recent February cruise and never used the Mast Grill all week.

CC member comments have been helpful.  Now, we'll only get a fresh cooked to order burger at the Mast Grill upon request or not at all.

We only enjoyed one specialty restaurant (Le Grand Bistro), for lunch (we were in Aqua and had BLU) and it was "fantastic!"  We've got a December B2B on Ascent to give the others a try.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:21 PM, Texed said:

Yes sir.  We are very fortunate.  There is usually just two of us and they will even cut a brisket to "our size".  😋

Whoa.  We've not seen or done a brisket since the three sons left the nest.  Big meat for sure?

I like your comment on the 'just the two of us' and 'our size.' 

After decades with the 3 boys (all multi-sport athletes) for Saturday night steak (T-bones, Ribeye's, whatever) wow all of us could eat some big ones from the grill with potatoes, breads, etc.  

Now, just us years and years later, a whole lifestyle change with the following 'healthy' tenderloin steak and appropriate portion 🙄 (we 'split it' and still have 1/3 left over for Sunday) on a pan for sear then into the oven (in FLL versus the grill in the snow in NH) with green beans.  😳 😌

image.jpeg.c83b8ecfcac4e6ef4821ffefbb5f69ae.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c9c92832a2e7f239eeaf00865d5efe4.jpeg

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I always thought that the best entertainment at sea was the dinners on the magic carpet while the ship was moving.  Imagine dining with 30 MPH + winds ...  My business plan was to rent baseball gloves so that the diners could catch the food and napkins that were flying around.  😉  A real show if you have not seen it before ...

Are they still serving dinner out there with the ship moving?

You know, during our whole week we didn't even go there just to sit.  You're so right about the wind, unless there is some day service at a port, not a dining venue when underway.  I don't even know if they can serve during lunch for a port day?  Must depend on if they are using the MC for something?

The Mast Grill (open air location on top) on the Solstice Class used to also serve either Taco style chips with salsa dip.  Big plate.  It was fun to watch the people go down the stairs, or around the corner, and watch the wind take those chips and send them on their way.  😆

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

I like your comment on the 'just the two of us' and 'our size.' 

just us years and years later, a whole lifestyle change with the following 'healthy' tenderloin steak and appropriate portion 🙄 (we 'split it' and still have 1/3 left over for Sunday)

Steak and Eggs Sunday morning is/are great.  😋

• Like 1

This is my first time on celebrity. But on Princess, RC, NCL and Disney, I don’t ever remember a good burger. But I’m super picky, which is why I usually only eat in the specialty restaurants. They have been great—although I wouldn’t do Le Petit Chef again. That was the least good. It was cute but once was enough. Eden was the best. Fine Cut was great. Rooftop Grill was surprisingly good despite it being less money than the others. Raw was good but the portions were very small, which is a little strange since the portions are so generous in all the other restaurants. I’m doing Le Voyage tonight. Also, the salads in the Eden Cafe were very good! I found them the last day. I’ll do a write up when I’m off, but I had a really good time despite having a lingering cough of 4+ months than no one can figure out. People probably think I have Covid. 😢😢😢😢 (Also why I did not drink much since doctors think it could be silent GERD.) The next trip is a Mother’s Day cruise. Maybe I’ll stop coughing by then? I’m really looking forward to that because I took my mom on Princess in December after not cruising for probably 10 years, and it was pretty disappointing. I think she’s going to love it. I hope the Beyond has a piano player. I think I heard this was new on the Ascent, and I have enjoyed him so much!!!

If I could give two “ooops” they would be the placement of the walking path. And although I actually really LIKE the infinite veranda the captain locked us out all morning. Did not like that. But I find it very relaxing. And my mom likes to sleep with the balcony door open so she’ll be thrilled! 😂

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:53 AM, At Sea At Peace said:

We've done and will do Celebrity (demographics and age group, best MDR at sea, Solarium and ship non-amenities - slides, roller coasters, go-carts), MSC (Yacht Club, upcoming B2B Seascape, a different experience and a treat), NCL (Haven or Spa Balcony, Mandara Spa, the best at sea for us, for a couple hours a day, cool atrium game shows, Food Republic) and Royal (Oasis and Quantum Classes, for promenade activities, up top water venues Flo Rida, iFly etc. and specialty dining). 

As you can see, each have something we particularly like for different experiences.

Celebrity a good fit and and a highly upgraded experience with the E Class ships.  We were 99% over the top happy with the cruise and have another 2/3rds of the ship to experience.  Will be on 12/1 and 12/8 B2B.

The two issues weren't cruise enders, just offered as "Ooops" FYI.

We simply didn't eat the hamburgers at the Mast Grill if served out of the warmer knowing that they cooked them 1-2 hours earlier.  We will ask for a fresh cooked burger next time and see what happens, or go later when they run out of the precooked and see the grill being used. A YouTuber cruise reviewer compared the NCL burger to the Carnival burger; hands down to Carnival because NCL precooked the burgers and put in an oven warmer. 

The beverage package was an experiment, we learned.  It wouldn't be any different on any other line if we tried there likely.  Not really a big deal as spouse doesn't drink (a half a sparkling once or twice). Not a fan of the 'both in stateroom must have package' policy given such, but we'll go back to it.  I'll likely be buying some 'friends some drinks' more casually, especially noting those cash paying.  😏

Understood. It’s funny to me that people spend so much on a cruise and are so engrossed in burger comparisons across cruise lines. I see it in other comments that the highlight on Carnival is Guy’s? Or is it Johnny Rockets? They all are equivalent to Whataburger in my mind. Now if we’re comparing fries, I prefer crunchy over undercooked soggy. 😂 I think I may eat one burger and have pizza once on a cruise. I prefer the food from the specialty dining or the other free restaurants over ocean view or burgers. But to each their own. And the 1% oops as you called it seemed much heavier as described. 

Glad you enjoyed the rest of your cruise. 🚢 

2 hours ago, SouKnoMe said:

Understood. It’s funny to me that people spend so much on a cruise and are so engrossed in burger comparisons across cruise lines. I see it in other comments that the highlight on Carnival is Guy’s? Or is it Johnny Rockets? They all are equivalent to Whataburger in my mind. Now if we’re comparing fries, I prefer crunchy over undercooked soggy. 😂 I think I may eat one burger and have pizza once on a cruise. I prefer the food from the specialty dining or the other free restaurants over ocean view or burgers. But to each their own. And the 1% oops as you called it seemed much heavier as described. 

Glad you enjoyed the rest of your cruise. 🚢 

The attention the 'burger Ooops' got was a bit surprising, from very important, to what do you expect to specialty dining.  Just going 'with the flow' in responding. 🍔

That's us for fries also.  Even dark.

Mast Grill is pool side, we're in bathing attire, sometimes wet, so the quick burger is simply convenient. For us to go change, go to lunch at a sit down and reverse, we'd be leaving our loungers for quite a while.  Risky. So, again, just a plain, fresh cooked burger and/or dog for us with some fries was the plan.

Yep, became a heavy issue, starting on the Silhouette in December and again on Ascent recently.  We just don't believe the extent (volume) and length (time ahead) of the precooking is good and the response from the hospitality officer that 'it's still within the acceptable time period for safety' simply not the right answer.

As stated earlier, we were 99% over the top happy with the Ascent cruise and have booked a B2B for 12/1 and 12/8.