College Fjord, AK

Cerbiattina

Hi Everybody!

At the end of May, my husband and I will take a 14-day cruise to Alaska glaciers with Grand Princess. Before getting to Whittier, the Cruise itinerary mentions one two-hour scenic cruise to College Fjord. From the description, "..Upon entering College Fjord, Alaska, passengers on Alaskan cruises may be able to see Harvard as the last of five glaciers in a row, separated by miles and mountains, just as Harriman's scientists could...". It does mention Prince William Sound which we want to see. I was looking for activities in Whittier since the ship will stop there from 12:30 am to 8:30 pm the next day. I  found another 5.30-hour cruise with Phillips Cruise Tour; in particular, the 26 Glacier Tour. It looks amazing; however, I am afraid it is going to be a sort of Deja Vu because Princess already goes to Prince William Sound and Harvard Glacier the day before. However, Phillips Cruises spends three extra hours at College Fjords. QUESTION: Have any of you done both? Could you share your opinion? How different are they? Is it worth going back the next day with Phillips Cruising? Also, as an alternative, I was looking into the Glacier Quest Cruise to Blackstone Bay, always offered by Phillips Cruising. Have you ever done that cruise? Is it worth it? If none of them works, I was thinking about going for a hike and visiting the military museum. We don't want to rent a car, do the tunnel and go to Anchorage. It seems like too much time driving around. Do you know any train-ride round trip from Whittier that is worth doing? Any input is much appreciated. Thank you!

Some of it might be 'repeat',  but it is a very different experience!!!

The 27 Glacier Cruise will get you more up close and personal... on a smaller boat, which is different than a ship.  You will feel the cold breeze,  feel and hear the boats reinforced base cutting thru the water and chunks of ice, etc...   You will be closer to any seals that are out there on the ice, etc...

You do get to see the smaller areas, and 'Surprise Glacier' etc.   

We did not do a round trip and spend that much time cruising Alaska.  We did Southbound, so for us. yes, we were glad we did it and highly recommend! 

I am not familiar with the other toors you mention...  So, I wouldn't know which one might be best for you.  But, if you are so inclined to choose one of these tours, I think you should consider it !   

Also, do you have to opportunity to get off the ship and tour Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm on the smaller boat.  That is another excellent opportunity!

Edited by Wishing on a star