Equinox - select dining at Silhouette

TrinityFL

Has anyone booked this dining option? If so, how did it work out? Wondered if it was necessary or whether the ship has an anytime dining system. Saw there was a $10 cancellation fee without 24 hour notice. 

Edited by TrinityFL
To clarify question.

1 hour ago, TrinityFL said:

Has anyone booked this dining option? If so, how did it work out? Wondered if it was necessary or whether the ship has an anytime dining system. Saw there was a $10 cancellation fee without 24 hour notice. 

I’m currently on the Equinox and I did not select a dining time so I was assigned the late dining. Ignored that and showed up at 6pm for ‘anytime dining’ with no problem at all. 

7 hours ago, TrinityFL said:

No cancellation fee for Select/Any Time Dining.

Pre booking is not compulsory just an option - we always pre book. Just like any restaurant if it's full when you arrive you will have to wait. Wait times will vary and if its more than a few minutes you will be offered a "buzzer" enabling you to wait in a venue of your choice.

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

No cancellation fee for Select/Any Time Dining.

Pre booking is not compulsory just an option - we always pre book. Just like any restaurant if it's full when you arrive you will have to wait. Wait times will vary and if its more than a few minutes you will be offered a "buzzer" enabling you to wait in a venue of your choice.

It is listed on the app when you book ahead. I actually got charged for a no show in Oct. but the reversed it before I saw it . The $10 charge and reversal shows on my invoice

24 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

It is listed on the app when you book ahead. I actually got charged for a no show in Oct. but the reversed it before I saw it . The $10 charge and reversal shows on my invoice

Is the $10 charge new?  I've never seen it when I'm online selecting dining times. Not even for Specialty dining.

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:

so you weren't charged. I would put it down to a glitch in the system. As a curtesy we always tell the check in staff if we won't be dining the next night. If you have pre booked and then book a Speciality meal that automatically cancels your Anytime Booking for that night.

Just now, the penguins said:

so you weren't charged. I would put it down to a glitch in the system. As a curtesy we always tell the check in staff if we won't be dining the next night. If you have pre booked and then book a Speciality meal that automatically cancels your Anytime Booking for that night.

Sorry pushed to soon. We never use the App which seems to be notoriously unreliable. We do everything through My Account on the website

Just on for a 9 night cruise. Chose Select, as 6 seem too early, and 8:30 too late. Wa sable to pre-select 7:00 for 7 of the nights, and 6:30 for the others. 
However, we felt very rushed through dinner the first night. As we were finishing or salads, they already had the next course in hand, ready to serve. Our dinner was less than 45 minutes. Nice it you don’t want to spend hours at dinner, but we just felt rushed.

using the app, we were able to look at the next evenings menu, and decided to try the Oceanview. We had a nice experience, although we had to get our own food. We sat outside at the back of the ship, and watched the sunset. Enjoyed it so much, we ended up going every night. Never got charged for a no show. 

The menus don’t change very much. They had a different theme, and only a few items followed the theme. So not for everyone. But we had great weather each night, and were very happy. By the way, we sat next to the captain or the entertainment staff or cruise director every night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rakes5 said:

Just on for a 9 night cruise. Chose Select, as 6 seem too early, and 8:30 too late. Wa sable to pre-select 7:00 for 7 of the nights, and 6:30 for the others. 
However, we felt very rushed through dinner the first night. As we were finishing or salads, they already had the next course in hand, ready to serve. Our dinner was less than 45 minutes. Nice it you don’t want to spend hours at dinner, but we just felt rushed.

using the app, we were able to look at the next evenings menu, and decided to try the Oceanview. We had a nice experience, although we had to get our own food. We sat outside at the back of the ship, and watched the sunset. Enjoyed it so much, we ended up going every night. Never got charged for a no show. 

The menus don’t change very much. They had a different theme, and only a few items followed the theme. So not for everyone. But we had great weather each night, and were very happy. By the way, we sat next to the captain or the entertainment staff or cruise director every night. 

At one time there was 'service' at tables in a certain roped off location in the OV which helped new staff integrate into their duties in the dining room.  Lately I've been thinking it would be a great experience if they would set tables on the outside deck WITH tablecloths and proper service like the MDR.  I know Oceania and some others have that alternative to main dining.  Would alleviate the crush of early diners BUT on the downside would probably require more hires.  We've tried dining in OV and it didn't work for us as well as for you. 

4 hours ago, rakes5 said:

we always pre book for 6.30 (arriving at 6.15)and share a table of 6. X sets aside 2 hours for the slot so never felt hurried. Generally finish by 8.15 which is perfect for a Rest Room Break before the 9.0pm show in the theatre.

• 2 months later...

We have always used anytime dinning, but for our next cruise it was full and we are assigned the early dinning at 6pm. 

That is the time we are leaving most ports.  Must you be in the dinning room by 6pm?   Will they lock you out if you arrive late?   

And I read above that you can just go to 'anytime dining' even if you are assigned the early dining?  Is that always true?

3 hours ago, itsanita said:

We have always used anytime dinning, but for our next cruise it was full and we are assigned the early dinning at 6pm. 

That is the time we are leaving most ports.  Must you be in the dinning room by 6pm?   Will they lock you out if you arrive late?   

And I read above that you can just go to 'anytime dining' even if you are assigned the early dining?  Is that always true?

Yes, you are expected to be in the dining room as close to 6:00 as possible.

No, you cannot to go anytime dining. The buffet or a specialty restaurant would be your option.

7 hours ago, itsanita said:

ask as soon as you board if you can swop to Anytime - there may well be passengers who are trying to swop to Fixed

I have Anytime Dining and can make reservations starting at 6:00 pm. But the App shows opening times from 5:15 to 9:00 for Celebrity Select Dining at Silhouette. Do they begin service at 5:15? Can I just show up at 5:15 without a reservation and be seated?