Bed configuration

Grace61

We sail to Alaska in June on the Royal Princess, Whittier to Vancouver.

My husband and I have a regular balcony cabin, Port side, very near the aft lifts on deck 10.  Hopefully that won't be too noisy, but that's not my question.

We sleep in a big king sized bed at home.  So I'm going back and forth on how to request the bed configuration.  In the app it says Queen or Twin.

Now, we've been married for 40 years, but we are not spooners, I like my space when I sleep, and also a lot of time when it's just two beds pushed together you get an uncomfortable dip in the middle anyway.

I'm leaning toward the twin configuration, I think we'll sleep better that way.  But is there any advantage either way otherwise, like space in the cabin or something else?

Its a personal preference to be sure.  Our last cruise we decided to opt for the twin configuration.  I too like my space.   Prior to that we did the Queen.   I never noticed a dip or "crack" in the middle.  Either one works fine for us.

• Thanks 1

Funny story.  

I was once on a Carnival ship with a request for a Queen (two twins put together).  One night, one of us ended up on the floor.  The bed had split in half.  Someone didn't secure the two beds.  That was before mattress toppers.  I don't think this happens anymore.  

One more thing to consider. Twin beds have the fluffiest most comfortable duvets.  Queens have a thin/flat blanket.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Funny story.  

I was once on a Carnival ship with a request for a Queen (two twins put together).  One night, one of us ended up on the floor.  The bed had split in half.  Someone didn't secure the two beds.  That was before mattress toppers.  I don't think this happens anymore.  

One more thing to consider. Twin beds have the fluffiest most comfortable duvets.  Queens have a thin/flat blanket.

We love the "queen" beds on Princess!  So comfy!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grace61 said:

We sail to Alaska in June on the Royal Princess, Whittier to Vancouver.

My husband and I have a regular balcony cabin, Port side, very near the aft lifts on deck 10.  Hopefully that won't be too noisy, but that's not my question.

We sleep in a big king sized bed at home.  So I'm going back and forth on how to request the bed configuration.  In the app it says Queen or Twin.

Now, we've been married for 40 years, but we are not spooners, I like my space when I sleep, and also a lot of time when it's just two beds pushed together you get an uncomfortable dip in the middle anyway.

I'm leaning toward the twin configuration, I think we'll sleep better that way.  But is there any advantage either way otherwise, like space in the cabin or something else?

We sleep on a King at home too and we're not spooners either even after almost 49 years....I get hot at night.   Anyway the two twins pushed together are fine, I think more like a King than a queen.  And there's no dip at all! Princess beds are so comfy!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

We sleep on a King at home too and we're not spooners either even after almost 49 years....I get hot at night.   Anyway the two twins pushed together are fine, I think more like a King than a queen.  And there's no dip at all! Princess beds are so comfy!!

I agree, and I'm another one who get's hot at night. The Princess "Queen" beds are definitely what I call King beds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To confirm your suspicion, they do shove the two twin beds together and re-sheet them for a queen, then move the end tables to the sides. So to answer your question, were do you want the end tables? Because the mattress will be the same. 

Queen sized and King sized are different dimensions in different countries, but it's plenty big.

We've had both fresh and new, which is pretty good, also dips and lumpy with the so called Princess Luxury Bed. YMMV. Good or bad, it's a foam mattress and sleeps hot. Ask the steward for a blanket instead of the duvet.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

To confirm your suspicion, they do shove the two twin beds together and re-sheet them for a queen, then move the end tables to the sides. So to answer your question, were do you want the end tables? Because the mattress will be the same. 

Queen sized and King sized are different dimensions in different countries, but it's plenty big.

We've had both fresh and new, which is pretty good, also dips and lumpy with the so called Princess Luxury Bed. YMMV. Good or bad, it's a foam mattress and sleeps hot. Ask the steward for a blanket instead of the duvet.

I usually just use the top sheet over me.  I can never get the cabin cool enough at night so I always have my little fan.  However, I love the beds they have now!