Need advice for my BIL

My brother in law has booked a couple rooms on Royal Caribbean with embarkation 6 weeks away.  His wife has been battling cancer and has not been recovering as they had hoped.  My BIL and his wife are in one room with a grandchild and their adult son and his wife are in another room with the two other grandchildren.  It is looking like my BIL and his wife won't be able to go on this cruise.  Could the adult son be assigned to BIL's room with one child (name change, charge incurred) and adult son's wife stay in the other room with the other two children?  Right now RC rep is saying my BIL will lose 75% of his fare (paid in full) if he and wife don't go on cruise and am I correct that RC doesn't allow five passengers in a room?  Then adult son, his wife and three children are stuck as well since their room only holds four passengers. Thank you for your advice in advance!

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

My brother in law has booked a couple rooms on Royal Caribbean with embarkation 6 weeks away.  His wife has been battling cancer and has not been recovering as they had hoped.  My BIL and his wife are in one room with a grandchild and their adult son and his wife are in another room with the two other grandchildren.  It is looking like my BIL and his wife won't be able to go on this cruise.  Could the adult son be assigned to BIL's room with one child (name change, charge incurred) and adult son's wife stay in the other room with the other two children?  Right now RC rep is saying my BIL will lose 75% of his fare (paid in full) if he and wife don't go on cruise and am I correct that RC doesn't allow five passengers in a room?  Then adult son, his wife and three children are stuck as well since their room only holds four passengers. Thank you for your advice in advance!

@Ourusualbeachwould know. I'm not 100% positive, but on rcl you can usually do a name change without a charge, though this is after final payment. One name on the booking has to remain the same. 

• Thanks 1

Swap passengers. Put the son in the BIL's room and move the BIL to the son's room.

Then if the BIL and wife don't show up (without canceling), the rooms are still preserved.

Anything else would cause a reprice.

Good luck to your BIL's wife to kick cancer's butt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

@Ourusualbeachwould know. I'm not 100% positive, but on rcl you can usually do a name change without a charge, though this is after final payment. One name on the booking has to remain the same. 

Hi firefly333!  So either BIL would have to go on cruise or wife with cancer? The child is assigned to this room but needs an adult.

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Swap passengers. Put the son in the BIL's room and move the BIL to the son's room.

Then if the BIL and wife don't show up (without canceling), the rooms are still preserved.

Anything else would cause a reprice.

Good luck to your BIL's wife to kick cancer's butt.

Hi smokeybandit!  Even though they spoke to RC rep today, they could do this room switch then have BIL and his wife not show?  Like speak to another RC rep and do a name change?

Edited by ninjacat123

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hi smokeybandit!  Even though they spoke to RC rep today, they could do this room switch then have BIL and his wife not show?  Like speak to another RC rep and do a name change?

Right. They wouldn't cancel, they just wouldn't show up on cruise day. Then the rest of the group would have two rooms for 5 people. Depending how the rooms were booked you may need the BIL on the phone with you when you talk to RC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hi firefly333!  So either BIL would have to go on cruise or wife with cancer? The child is assigned to this room but needs an adult.

Smokey knows. I'd say if grandchild is in there, you might even be allowed to change bil and wife name, since says one original name has to remain of original booked. Grandson is original booked. Do you have anyone else who can go?

Move a adult in with grandson if that's all you need. Do a name change. I have not heard of a fee to do a name change. Whichever you remove from the booking the other can be a no show, if you just need one name change. I would keep 3 in cabin if thars how its booked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1