Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I sympathise. Perhaps you understand a bit better why we guys pay for the PE seats, particularly with the seat reclining situation.  Long haul economy on most airlines is sadly cramped and uncomfortable, ironically the older planes may well have more padded, wider seats.

100 per cent I started to appreciate it

Just feel the prices charged are too steep for the extras you get 

But I guess it's supply and demand. Enough must be happy to pay those prices 

I paid less to upgrade to business class to New York about 10 years ago ish (albeit in  one of those auctions)

Prices for everything seem to have gone mad

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

100 per cent I started to appreciate it

Just feel the prices charged are too steep for the extras you get 

But I guess it's supply and demand. Enough must be happy to pay those prices 

I paid less to upgrade to business class to New York about 10 years ago ish (albeit in  one of those auctions)

Prices for everything seem to have gone mad

Indeed.  I've had to book economy to Japan for my May 2025 flight, not looking forward to it but £1,600 with Cunard sounded a bargain when I looked at May 2024 prices! If fares go down, which I doubt, I can always drop the flight.

On seat pitch there was an interesting review by a well known consumer group in March this year.

Here's the long haul UK results from Heathrow/Gatwick/Birmingham and Manchester

Best long haul airlines for seat pitch (leg room)

TUI - 33 inches

Emirates - 32 inches

Singapore Airlines - 32 inches

British Airways - 31 inches

Etihad - 31 inches

KLM - 31 inches

Air Canada - 30 inches

American Airlines - 30 inches

Virgin Atlantic - 29 inches

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Maybe one of our mathematicians could calculate the revenue difference between economy and PE, so we can see whether the premium P&O are charging is really needed or is just profiteering.

Looking back on last year's thread about Virgin flights I noticed the charge on them was considerably lower than that for the TUI flights and that was increased again this year.

The flight cost, seat fee and repeat itineraries are the reason I currently have no Caribbean fly cruise booked after January 2024.  For only £900 more than we are paying for that cruise we have 35 nights on QM2 in a balcony cabin in January 2025,.

We have booked PE with Virgin from Manchester to New York in April 2024 for a TA,that was an extra £750,bit different to a flight we had in 1989 from Manchester to Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines,a 20 hour trip which cost £60 for First Class,those were the days!😎

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 12:16 PM, ighten said:

It does seem this was bound to happen once P&O put a mega ship into the Carribean that caters for mainly UK based pax. There simply are not enough seats using the normal airline fleets capacity.

Last year, we flew back from Barbados on the same day that Arvia finished its cruise, and Barbados airport was absolutely chaotic with long queues snaking all around outside the terminal, so it suggest that maybe the airport is struggling to cope with the large numbers.

8 hours ago, English Tim said:

Last year, we flew back from Barbados on the same day that Arvia finished its cruise, and Barbados airport was absolutely chaotic with long queues snaking all around outside the terminal, so it suggest that maybe the airport is struggling to cope with the large numbers.

Unfortunately that's quite normal for Barbados.  At least using the bonded designated cruise lane we avoid the worst of it at security.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, English Tim said:

They keep you on the coaches now I think if queues are bad 

46 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The gates they send you to to board within Barbados airport aren't big enough to cope with so many people returning home on same day either

Chaotic there as well

Just stay seated and go last is the best idea! The plane will still be there.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Last time we were there queues for different planes were crossing all over each other. You didn't even know which planes queue you were waiting to be last for!!

Lol

Never mind, those who've spent two weeks on Arvia will be so used to queues of all types it will just seem like a normal day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Never mind, those who've spent two weeks on Arvia will be so used to queues of all types it will just seem like a normal day!

Lol, very droll 😁

I was once in the latter end of a very delayed queue for a flight and was getting a little huffy. There was a very well dressed and well spoken gentleman behind me who just said quietly with a smile “we people at the back of the queue are the most important, all those other people in front cannot fly until we are seated!”. I always think of him when I am getting impatient in a queue for boarding any form of transport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anyway I want to see just how long the queue for people with walking sticks (who have only sent 6 emails and filled out 3 online forms) is going to be?

And what exactly those people choose to do with the walking stick once they eventually get to the front of that queue!!

Lol

Could be a dangerous place to be!!!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And what exactly those people choose to do with the walking stick once they eventually get to the front of that queue!!

Lol

Probably pop it on a sunbed to reserve it for tomorrow.

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Anyway I want to see just how long the queue for people with walking sticks (who have only sent 6 emails and filled out 3 online forms) is going to be?

Lol

They won't be at Barbados because they're being denied boarding ... hell of a shorter queue for you guys and plenty of empty cabins if you need to move due to noise issues!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They won't be at Barbados because they're being denied boarding ... hell of a shorter queue for you guys and plenty of empty cabins if you need to move due to noise issues!

There will be less noise issues as there won't be any walking sticks clip clopping across the decks😁

• Haha 5

On 11/11/2023 at 2:08 PM, yorkshirephil said:

Maybe because it is a new airline and P&O don't want the hassle, I have not come across that statement before as usually when an aircraft is chartered the baggage allowance is negotiable, or used to be. To be fair 33kg overall is not too bad.

I’ve had a response from Maleth Areo within an hour of contacting them confirming;

23 kg hold baggage 

10 kg cabin baggage ( no dimensions) but suspect the usual size applys. I’m happy with that and the swift response.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Geoff1964 said:

I’ve had a response from Maleth Areo within an hour of contacting them confirming;

23 kg hold baggage 

10 kg cabin baggage ( no dimensions) but suspect the usual size applys. I’m happy with that and the swift response.

Well done, glad you are happy with the outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Geoff1964 said:

23 kg hold baggage 

This is the response I got from Maleth too regarding luggage. 

The only thing not stated which I did ask was can we bring a cabin case + a backpack/ handbag for under the seat. If anyone knows this I'll be very grateful, usually I only take a backpack however, I have a few books to pack as extras for this flight which I don't want to carry in my bag.

43 minutes ago, EmilyJay said:

This is the response I got from Maleth too regarding luggage. 

The only thing not stated which I did ask was can we bring a cabin case + a backpack/ handbag for under the seat. If anyone knows this I'll be very grateful, usually I only take a backpack however, I have a few books to pack as extras for this flight which I don't want to carry in my bag.

On Azura in 2021 I took a 10kg cabin bag and a rucksack as hand luggage. I think as long as it can fit under the seat in front it should be fine. My Mum and sister are going on Friday (with Tui) so if I remember I’ll report back.

I’m assuming P&O are giving the same allowance for Maleth and TUI so everyone gets the same. 

On 11/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, molecrochip said:

I don't believe that Tui have changed and their leg room remains 32".

Strange .They advertise 34" for their 787 dreamliners. Every long haul I've done with them has been 34 which has been much better than Virgin or BA economy, the Virgin Caribbean fleet being absolutely diabolical.  

"Most of our long-haul flights are on high-spec TUI 787 Dreamliners, so you’ll have at least 34 inches of legroom – that’s more than most planes. "

https://www.tui.co.uk/discover/top-tips-for-long-haul-flights

Have things changed?

Edited by doog442