How is insurance through the cruiseline

csoud68

Different from insurance through a 3rd party? 

We always get the cruise lines ins but now I'm wondering why people have seperate policies in place.

Does the cruiseline insurance not cover what the medical bills would be?

I mean if the insurance offered they the cruiselines stinks I'd rather refuse that and get a seperate travel plan through a reputable company?

I don't want to be stuck with a 30k helicopter bill for example..I'd just stop cruising if the risks were that great. My hmo certainly won't do spit if I'm on a cruise..

27 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Different from insurance through a 3rd party? 

We always get the cruise lines ins but now I'm wondering why people have seperate policies in place.

Does the cruiseline insurance not cover what the medical bills would be?

I mean if the insurance offered they the cruiselines stinks I'd rather refuse that and get a seperate travel plan through a reputable company?

I don't want to be stuck with a 30k helicopter bill for example..I'd just stop cruising if the risks were that great. My hmo certainly won't do spit if I'm on a cruise..

I can't speak to the differences in specific limits such as medical or medevac/etc., between "cruise line" and "third-party" insurance.  For one thing, there are different types of policies of each, so there's no exact comparison like that possible.

However, one very important reason we would never get "cruise line" insurance is that it wouldn't cover a lot of our travel.  We may stay someplace for a few days prior to the cruise and ditto elsewhere afterwards, and these are *not* likely to be only the two ports.  For example, if our cruise ends in Italy, we may spend several more days in other Italian cities, etc.

Third party coverage would insure us from the moment we walk out the door to start our trip to the moment we walk back in.  And we get to select from a variety of coverage choices.  However, in our case, we've found one insurer/policy that works well for our needs AND they have paid without quibbling for several claims, including some large claims.  And they've paid within about 2 weeks of our submitting all of the required documentation.

Note:  RECEIPTS are required; the insurers have a right to prevent/detect fraud, etc.  But this has not been a problem.  We've never had a receipt questioned, be it for medical costs, extra hotel nights, alternate transportation, or the refund of the full cost of an entire cruise and land trip that was cancelled before it started (twice, alas).

[Edit added for full disclosure: We once forgot to get a receipt for the *tip* for avery small taxi fare, so the tip amount was declined.  The amount was far too small to fuss over.  The taxi fare was paid without question.]

We are among those here on CC who work with and recommend 

www.TripInsuranceStore.com 

They are a broker (no extra charge to the travelers) who work with several vetted insurers.  CALL them, and they'll speak with you and help you figure out what the most appropriate coverage is for your specific needs.  (They do not try to upsell; quite the opposite.)

We remain grateful to those here on CC who recommended TIS to us just over 10 years ago.  Our very first large trip including a luxury celebration cruise, was cancelled at the last minute for medical reasons, and we got every cent back, when otherwise, it would have been a "100% cancellation penalty".

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Like 1

There are 2 advantages for cruise line insurance in my opinion.

1) It includes "Cancel For Any Reason" in the base cost and allows you to cancel up to scheduled departure.  3rd party offers CFAR at an additional cost and requires 48 hour notice prior to departure.

2) The price is fixed no matter your age. 3rd party prices increase as you get older.

The disadvantages

1) Low medical limit. $20K on most. 3rd party offers plans of $50K, $100K, and high if you wish. 

2) Cruise line policies pay as "Secondary". You have to files claims with your other home-based policies first, wait for payment or denial, then send all that documentation in to get fully reimbursed. Some 3rd party policies offer "Primary". You only have to deal with them.

3) The cruise line will offer no assistance when it comes to filing your claim. They just sell it, receive the commission, the rest is on you. 3rd party, if you go thru a broker such as mentioned above, will assist you and intervene if necessary.

4) Cruise line plan is fixed. You can't mix and match for what fits YOUR needs. 3rd party can.

5) Cruise line insurance does not offer to work with the hospital for direct pay if required before treatment will begin. Some 3rd party policies do offer this service (at their discretion).

Just as a side note: Many cruisers think evacuation means emergency evac from the ship. This is not true. Emergency evacuation from the ship will not cost the patient a dime. This is done via international treaty by Navies or Coast Guards around the world under at Safety at Sea or like a Search & Resue thing. Evacuation once medically stabilized from 1 hospital to another is where evacuation costs to the patient comes in.

Hope this helps.

One other thing that may distinguish a cruiseline policy from a 3rd party is what you get if you have to cancel.  Some cruiseline policies will only reimburse you with vouchers/credits to use on a future cruise with them within some specified period of time whereas 3rd party insurers will reimburse you with cash.  

Our advice is whatever insurance you decide on, READ THE POLICY CAREFULLY.  

Understand what it covers.

Understand what it does not cover.

Understand the cancel reasons.

Understand what constitutes a pre-existing condition and the stability period.

Above is very good advice, but every insurance policy and company offers a different product and (IMO) their goal is to NOT pay out.

Read and understand and don't just think you are covered because you bought a policy.