How long after flight arrives should you book private transfer to hotel?

Agree with telling the driver, also add what baggage you have checked.  We just recently arrived in Rome and from landing to getting our bags was about 90 minutes.  Reason - so many flights arriving at same time and baggage took forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Agree with telling the driver, also add what baggage you have checked.  We just recently arrived in Rome and from landing to getting our bags was about 90 minutes.  Reason - so many flights arriving at same time and baggage took forever.

90 minutes sounds close to what I was estimating. It’s been 13 years since I’ve been to Rome. Last time we took the train to Rome, and walked 20 minutes to our hotel with luggage. I remember it was doable but certainly an inconvenience. I think I prefer to spend extra on a transfer after arrival and from the hotel to cruise port. Also reduces the risk of getting passport stolen by avoiding trains. 

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

90 minutes sounds close to what I was estimating. It’s been 13 years since I’ve been to Rome. Last time we took the train to Rome, and walked 20 minutes to our hotel with luggage. I remember it was doable but certainly an inconvenience. I think I prefer to spend extra on a transfer after arrival and from the hotel to cruise port. Also reduces the risk of getting passport stolen by avoiding trains. 

90 minutes is more than enough. As mentioned,  a good car service will monitor your situation closely, and be there (right outside baggage claim) when you are ready.

• Like 1

I’ll be the first to admit I love walking out those doors and seeing a driver waiting with a sign with my name. But…

1.  Fixed taxi fare from FCO to Rome Central is 48 euros. 
2.  In December for my last trip to Rome I ended up having to wait for driver about 15 minutes even though we’d been communicating since I’d landed. 
3.  Then car was parked all the way on the opposite end of terminal (I was traveling with a mobility impaired individual and this is a problem.). Taxi stand was right outside the door we exited. 

In the future I’ll probably just grab a taxi to my hotel if it’s just the two of us. 

Edited by Girr
  • Like 1