Ubers in Kahului (Maui)

palolake

We'll be porting in Kahului next month and plan on taking an Uber to the Maui Ocean Center.  Someone made a comment that they had to walk really far from the ship to get to the area where they could get an Uber.  Then I started looking at how easy (or hard) it was to get an Uber anywhere in Kahului.  Now I'm getting concerned that we may have a problem getting there or, more concerning, getting back to the ship.  Has anyone had experience getting an Uber there?  Especially right at the port?

Edited by palolake

4 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

I think you want the Hawaii board; not the West Coast of the mainland.

Correct...

@palolake, neither taxis nor Uber/Lyft are in unlimited supply on Maui. Its not like a major city. So, if you are getting off early, you will have a better shot.

I can't speak to where you have to go to meet them.

On 2/24/2024 at 6:27 PM, scottca075 said:

Getting back is the hardest part.

The walk to get an Uber is less than a mile.

Agree. Also echoing Bruce, Ubers in Maui are much less plentiful than most folks expect but there are still enough of them that it works. Given that Kahului is near the airport (where there is consistently the largest concentration of Ubers) you are generally find getting one there most of the time. 

Coming back is the issue. Headed back from the Maui Ocean Center you aren't travelling a great distance but you aren't near a major resort area either where they tend to concentrate. During the day I find the more limited number of Ubers are in and around the major resort areas of Wailea and Kaanapali which you'll be nowhere near. Ubers become far more plentiful and available towards the late afternoon into evening. 

I would say take the Uber over to the MOC and then just be prepared to have them call you a taxi if one isn't available to go back. If you did head down to the beaches in Wailea for example afterwards, by the time the later afternoon rolled around you'd be able to get an Uber from most major resort there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Agree. Also echoing Bruce, Ubers in Maui are much less plentiful than most folks expect but there are still enough of them that it works. Given that Kahului is near the airport (where there is consistently the largest concentration of Ubers) you are generally find getting one there most of the time. 

Coming back is the issue. Headed back from the Maui Ocean Center you aren't travelling a great distance but you aren't near a major resort area either where they tend to concentrate. During the day I find the more limited number of Ubers are in and around the major resort areas of Wailea and Kaanapali which you'll be nowhere near. Ubers become far more plentiful and available towards the late afternoon into evening. 

I would say take the Uber over to the MOC and then just be prepared to have them call you a taxi if one isn't available to go back. If you did head down to the beaches in Wailea for example afterwards, by the time the later afternoon rolled around you'd be able to get an Uber from most major resort there. 

We don’t have a problem taking a taxi either. If we can take a taxi or Uber to the ocean center, would we be guaranteed to have a taxi to get us back to the ship?

7 minutes ago, palolake said:

We don’t have a problem taking a taxi either. If we can take a taxi or Uber to the ocean center, would we be guaranteed to have a taxi to get us back to the ship?

Either or-- it won't make a huge difference. Frankly Uber will be easier on the front end from Kahului. Having them call a taxi for you might be easier on the return. 

Guaranteed is a strong word but they can call one for you just like anywhere else. I don't see you having an issue finding a ride back-- just build in a little time. Everything on Maui happens a little slower than you're most likely used to. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, palolake said:

There would be ZERO guarantee. It depends on if a cab, nearby is available.

In the "old days" I would have simply rented a car because the rental companies sent shuttles to the port, but since Covid and the new CONRAC at OGG most, maybe all, shuttles have stopped.