Mediterranean Cruise -- Near Identical Itinerary Except Ibiza vs. Split

Nick2266

We are looking at a Norwegian cruise in the Mediterranean for our family (2 adults and 2 adult children), and our two preferred itineraries are nearly identical. They're both 11 days, but one has 11 ports of call and the other 12. The difference is the 11 has Ibiza plus day at sea, while the 12 has Split plus ending in Trieste. For those who have been to both, which location did you have a better experience with, Ibiza or Split? The 12 port trip looks to be slightly better weather-wise too, simply because it occurs in early to mid May instead of late April to early May, if that will make much of a difference in the decision. The 12 port trip is actually the one immediately after the 11, with the same ship. The 12 port trip is about $200pp more.

We are not taking airfare into this consideration, but do plan to spend a couple days before and after in the area (Rome and Barcelona or Barcelona and Trieste).

59 minutes ago, Nick2266 said:

We are looking at a Norwegian cruise in the Mediterranean for our family (2 adults and 2 adult children), and our two preferred itineraries are nearly identical. They're both 11 days, but one has 11 ports of call and the other 12. The difference is the 11 has Ibiza plus day at sea, while the 12 has Split plus ending in Trieste. For those who have been to both, which location did you have a better experience with, Ibiza or Split? The 12 port trip looks to be slightly better weather-wise too, simply because it occurs in early to mid May instead of late April to early May, if that will make much of a difference in the decision. The 12 port trip is actually the one immediately after the 11, with the same ship. The 12 port trip is about $200pp more.

We are not taking airfare into this consideration, but do plan to spend a couple days before and after in the area (Rome and Barcelona or Barcelona and Trieste).

So I'm trying to understand -- if you take the 12-day trip, you don't get Rome?  That would be a HUGE minus for me in terms of my recommendation.

Also, these days in the Med, the earlier in the season you are, the fewer crowds. Many of the ports get unbelievably packed starting as early as May (including Dubrovnik and Santorini in particular....)

Strictly considering the difference between Split and Ibiza, I'd take Split every day but then I'm not a big fan of 24-hour clubs, loud parties and not even beaches, really....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nick2266 said:

For those who have been to both, which location did you have a better experience with, Ibiza or Split?

ibiza is beaches and clubbing  Should you want a beach day followed by a day at sea, of the two this should be your choice.

Split is VERY different, and has become a favourite with cruise pax, and for those not interested in a beach day, this would be the preferred port of call.

I would favor  Split over Ibiza. Split has a great old town to wander thru, tons of seaside cafes to sit and people watch. I think Trogir ( a small town not to far) is home to many yatchs and depends on the time of year, a very big music festival.   Ibiza has lost its shine from the party island days it was known for

Do take travel into consideration too.  Rome to the port of Civitavecchia is a 75/90 minute trip with many options for the transportation.  Trieste is 2 hours from Venice and much fewer transportation options (and much more expensive). Both Rome and Trieste have train options if you can all handle your own suitcases.

Barcelona is no problem as it is a short taxi trip to/from the port.

Ibiza is beach and sun (and party central), however the old town of Ibiza is lovely and certainly worth a half day rambling around the meandering streets.

Personally, I would prefer Split, but having embarked/disembarked on two cruises in Trieste, I would really need a very, very strong reason to make me want to go there again.