Hawaii 16 day - HAL or Princess

iankh

My husband and I are considering booking a roundtrip cruise from Southern California to Hawaii. It's between HAL and Princess, and I'm looking for feedback. While I resent being told I'm an "old person" my husband and I are in our late 60s and early 70s. We previously did about 6 cruises with Disney, and did a California coastal cruise with Princess about 5 years ago. My husband is a vegetarian and the cruise was a food nightmare. Supposed vegetarian dishes were made with parmesan cheese, which is not vegetarian because it's made with rennet, an enzyme derived from cow or sheep stomach. Ultimately, we were told that the line considers it vegetarian, and the exact words we were told were, "Eat at your own risk." But that was five years ago, and times have changed, and we're willing to give it another go.

Both HAL and Princess have similar itineraries, but HAL comes out about $750 more.

We're not quiet or sedate, but we're not party people either, and even in our younger days we weren't big on deck parties, but we don't like being bored either. We like a laid-back environment, and we're just looking to have a good time.

I've found postings that compare the two lines for Alaska, but that might be a different kettle of fish (or tofu). I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on the two lines beyond Alaska. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, iankh said:

...My husband is a vegetarian and the [Princess] cruise was a food nightmare. Supposed vegetarian dishes were made with parmesan cheese, which is not vegetarian because it's made with rennet, an enzyme derived from cow or sheep stomach. Ultimately, we were told that the line considers it vegetarian, and the exact words we were told were, "Eat at your own risk." But that was five years ago, and times have changed, and we're willing to give it another go.

I've found postings that compare the two lines for Alaska, but that might be a different kettle of fish (or tofu). I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on the two lines beyond Alaska. Thanks!

I can't speak for (or against) Princess, as my bookings with them have always ended up cancelled. But I am a HAL fan-girl and can tell you that HAL menus are very clear what is vegetarian or vegan. If the needs are more explicit than that, you can arrange with special services to receive tomorrow's menus the night before and choose from what can be made to your specifications.

I think you will be very happy on HAL.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iankh said:

My husband and I are considering booking a roundtrip cruise from Southern California to Hawaii. It's between HAL and Princess, and I'm looking for feedback. While I resent being told I'm an "old person" my husband and I are in our late 60s and early 70s. We previously did about 6 cruises with Disney, and did a California coastal cruise with Princess about 5 years ago. My husband is a vegetarian and the cruise was a food nightmare. Supposed vegetarian dishes were made with parmesan cheese, which is not vegetarian because it's made with rennet, an enzyme derived from cow or sheep stomach. Ultimately, we were told that the line considers it vegetarian, and the exact words we were told were, "Eat at your own risk." But that was five years ago, and times have changed, and we're willing to give it another go.

Both HAL and Princess have similar itineraries, but HAL comes out about $750 more.

We're not quiet or sedate, but we're not party people either, and even in our younger days we weren't big on deck parties, but we don't like being bored either. We like a laid-back environment, and we're just looking to have a good time.

We've done HAL and Disney to Hawaii, and taken several Princess cruises.

I'd look at the itineraries of both possible cruises and select the one that I'm most interested in.  If they are really the same, I'd probably go with Princess, depending on how big the price difference is.  This is mostly because I'm not a fan of HAL's entertainment offerings recently.  But, either would work for me.  

• Like 1

My only experience with Princess was 'your cruise' a couple of years ago but out of San Francisco.  The cruise itself was OK, we sailed at Christmastime. We're very low-key travellers, like some entertainment and good ports but enjoy just being on the cruiseship equally.

But the lead-up to get everything in order was an absolute nightmare with the medallion system Princess insists on using.  I'm fairly computer literate, but I couldn't get that thing to work properly ... I banged around for weeks.  Then I discovered (grateful for CC forums!) that the medallion system has been a disaster for YEARS and Princess does little to fix it.  Some people have no problems at all, but LOTS of people find it frustrating.  Princess pax just assume it's 'them' and continue to try over and over to accomplish the smallest task.  I find this attitude trickles down a bit while onboard.  While at sea, a large section was without water one day for 8 or 9 hours.  We received no notice, no information, no explanation, no apology.  So I was sad, but not surprised, to read about your food challenges on your last Princess cruise.

Medallion works a little better once on board.  It was kinda fun, actually.  To prove my point about user-unfriendly, during the first 3 days of the cruise the internet center was open most of the day and staffed with literally dozens of people (my first helper was a dancer).  So there was little waiting; good because I had to go back about 6 times to get in gear.  People just couldn't make the system work.  So I'd go with HAL.  

• Thanks 1