whale watching in Dominica Caribbean

Nearpost345

I was wondering if anyone had taken the official Windstar whale watching tour out of Rousseau Dominica. We are on the Windsurf next month and curious to know how the tour went for you and in particular which tour guide/company Windstar uses. Thank you.

We were on the Surf in January and while we did not go, we spoke to people that had been on it and they were raving as they had encountered several dozen whales including one that went right underneath their boat.  We saw the pictures.  Wish we had gone

Thank you Misty, that is very encouraging. Last night I was watching “Patrick and the Whale”, a documentary about Patrick Dykstra’s encounter with sperm whales in Dominica. It was very inspiring.

By the way, your review of the Windsurf caribbean cruise destinations is also very much appreciated. Thank you again!

5 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

By the way, your review of the Windsurf caribbean cruise destinations is also very much appreciated. Thank you again!

Let me know if you need more info on the ship or the stops as we have done all these islands several times on the Surf, Legend, Pride and Star.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:09 PM, Nearpost345 said:

I was wondering if anyone had taken the official Windstar whale watching tour out of Rousseau Dominica. We are on the Windsurf next month and curious to know how the tour went for you and in particular which tour guide/company Windstar uses. Thank you.

This Saturday we board Wind Surf and we have signed up to do this excursion, we will be doing it this coming Monday. I plan to be reporting daily doing a Live from The Wind Surf here on CC, so stay tune. I will start reporting Thursday night journaling our journey to St Maarten, staying at the hotel provided by Windstar.

• Like 1

Hopefully it’s okay to ask the following in here. We are on the March 9th Star Collector 14 day cruise out of Sint Marteen. Does anyone know :

Which days are the beach bbq days organized by The WindSurf

Which ports, if any, can you simply tender to shore and find a beach and bar/cafe without fussing with taxi’s or tours.

Fwiw we are an active late 60’s couple.

We have booked tours in Virgin Gorda and Dominica, and will likely book one or two more, but we’re trying to get a sense of how to broadly strategize our time and funds without booking tours everywhere.

Misty and Laffnvegas, thank you again for your patience and input. Apologies to Jazzbeau if I’m not going about this in the correct thread.

Okay, sorry for being a pest, I’m sure it’s for a good reason but I can’t edit posts here.

I reread Misty’s review and beach bbq days will be on Virgin Gorda and Pigeon Island. One more question ….. Is it possible to check out snorkels and masks from the sports platform even if one is not going on a tour of any kind? We’re experimenting with not checking bags for this trip, so trying to save room.

6 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

Is it possible to check out snorkels and masks from the sports platform even if one is not going on a tour of any kind? We’re experimenting with not checking bags for this trip, so trying to save room.

You  can pick up snorkel gear when you board, keep it in your room all week and bring it back on the last day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

That’s great Misty 👍

Dear Nearpost, We did your 14+day trip in January we met Misty Morning on board. We have been to the Caribbean on the Surf many, many times and more and I with my father sailing as a young person. When I go I am simply interested  in going to the beach for my daily swim. We go to the  beach almost everyday in the am, back to the ship by 1, afternoon on ship reading, exercise in the pool, etc. I will concentrate on beaches for you.

BVI's Jost we love White Beach, open air vans meet you  ashore to take you there 10 minutes 5-10 dollars pp pending on how many people in the van, we love Gertrude's because less crowded, the best conk  fritters anywhere. Easy to call a van to return, long walk up a huge hill and down.

Virgin Gorda: great beach for the Barbecue, all the toys.

Sophers Hole Cab it, lots of good beaches

Anguilla:Road Bay  the beach is where you land, lots of places to rent chairs and umbrellas.

St.Kitts: Carmbola Beach Club,  lovely beach, about 15-20 minutes Taxi, about $25, small entrance fee comes with chairs and umbrella

Ils des Saints: Terre -De - Haut Lovely island,  Plage de Pompierre,  about 1 mile from town, sometimes you are walking with goats and cows, up hill going, lovely beach, lots of trees for shade, picnic tables, no chairs to rent lovely bay beach for swimming. In the town on the main street to the right from where you get off, a great  crêpe  maker, better than Paris, he is grumpy, however he was not there in Jan. but the crêpe was still outstanding, 5 E.

St. Barts: walk to Shell Beach , need water shoes, lots  of  shells, nice bar, St. Barts is so pricey plan on cabs $50 one way, nice walk along the marina and town to beach, good beach for swimming.I French grocery shop there, example chicken  bouillon  cubes just beware of expiration, seafood bouillon , cheeses ( can't bring in to US nice to eat with a glass of wine on return to ship )

Pigeon Island St. Lucia: nice beach day in park, all the toys are there beach is not huge but good swimming

Antiguia Falmouth Harbor: cab it to beaches again nice beaches

Dominica: Not great beaches but a fabulous island lots to see in nature, the island to take a tour, terrific, gritty market 1/2 mile from ship, great herbs, 

I hope this helps. Great 2 weeks, we love every second. Happy Sailing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1