Reykjavik Car Rental

LottieET

We’ll be in Reykjavik over two days in July on the NCL Prima. We’d like to rent a car, park it in the cruise port and use it over the two days. I’d like to hear the positives and negatives to that plan from folks that have done it. Also any suggestions for audio guides while we drive around? It’s our first time there. 

Self driving in Iceland is pretty easy, once you navigate out of the city streets.  I hang out on the TripAdvisor Iceland forum and I've never heard anyone mention an audio guide.

Where do you want to explore in the area?

I’ll check out trip advisor as well. It seems like there's apps you can download with guided tours. I was hoping someone had insight into one of those. It would be nice to be on our own schedule and visit what we’d like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 2:02 PM, Seminole1975 said:

Can you rent a car at the cruise ship port? We will be on a Windstar ship and would like to rent a car when our cruise is over. 

Hertz, Blue and Lotus all have offices in town that are near the port.  I believe that Europecar has an office at the port.

• 3 weeks later...

There is an app on apple that does driving tours. It uses gps and gives directions as well as commentary. It’s called scenic Iceland Reykjavik tour. The tour cost $39. We’ve used similar ones in other places and they are wonderful 

• Like 1