Advice on Cabin Location: Discovery Princess, somewhat limited mobility

terrajarret

Hi Everyone! My mother and I are going to be on the Discovery Princess this Spring, we're currently booked in a mid-ship standard balcony on the Marina deck, right next to the panoramic elevators. My mother has somewhat limited mobility in that it's best to limit time on her feet when possible. I booked this room because I thought being mid-ship next to an elevator may accomplish that and also booked our meals in the Juneau dining room so that if she wanted to head back after dinner it would be close. Since then, I have heard that the lines for the mid-ship elevator can be VERY long. 

I looked to see what else was available and there are several rooms on Dolphin deck near the aft elevators. They also have larger balconies though are the same class room. I'm wondering if the aft elevators may be less crowded to the extent that it would be worth looking into switching rooms and changing our dinner reservations to the Ketchikan.. I have only cruised once before, on a fairly small ship, some time ago, so I don't REALLY have an idea of how much of a walk it may be from say, the theater to the aft rooms. In other words, don't know how much walking there actually is on ship. 

She is also a smoker. . . and I know the aft has a smoking section near, I'm not sure if there is one close to our currently booked room. 

Any recommendations? 

Aft:  closer to aft dining room and maybe smoking area (not sure where it is on the Royal Class ships).  Easier access to Buffet.  Might have less elevator traffic.  Do all 4 elevators go down to Ketchikan Dining Room?

Much farther walk if she wants to do anything in the Piazza.  

Could you walk the stairs and meet her on destination floor?  Dolphin is closer to the action.

According to the Princess deck plans, all four aft lifts go down to the Ketchikan Dining Room on Deck 6 (unlike some other Princess ships).

If she wants to go back to the cabin after dinner, aft would be fine. However, if she wants to go anywhere else, it's a long way from aft. It is a really long walk from the aft dining room to the theater. DW has mobility issues, and we have found it is generally better to get a cabin midship.

I suggest you look at the deck plans. Look at all of the things you think she may want to visit (theater, shops, bars, etc.) and decide which location looks more convenient.

• Like 2

We have been on the DISCOVERY many times.  We don't smoke so our cabin choices were usually mid ship as it cabin would be closer to activities. Our next cruise is March 16 and we were lucky to get an upgrade to an aft deluxe balcony so we can enjoy the wake!

Since she is a smoker, I would suggest aft cabins.  There are only two areas where smoking is allowed: deck 17 aft and starboard aft area near the Vista Lounge.  The aft elevators are right in front of the Vista Lounge and they do go down to the Ketchikan dining room.   Our friends smoke so we did spent hours on deck 17.  Whatever you decide, I know you will enjoy the ship.  

I would choose the larger balcony on Dolphin Deck,  as I am not big on being that high on Deck 15.  The Smoking Section is a big factor.   And, of course, you can book that AFT dining room.

I just wanted to say, about the walking on a ship this size...

It can be a LOT....

We were on Deck 15, pretty far forward, once on a similar 'Sister' ship...  And, that walking was a factor.

I see that you are wanting to minimize walking on her feet and legs...  

You also do not want that to limit your cruise, or to cause stress or pain.

Having BTDT with my mother, years ago, at a huge resort,  not realizing how limited...  We actually borrowed a wheelchair from the people across the hall, once, to make sure to get to where we were going.   Maybe some kind of simple, foldable, wheelchair or walker-chair would be an idea.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 6:14 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Maybe some kind of simple, foldable, wheelchair or walker-chair would be an idea.

I’m usually ok with a cane, but I didn’t want to take any chances on the ship, so we got this rolling walker with a seat to rest on.  It folds pretty easily.

IMG_0870.jpeg

1 hour ago, LyssaWorthy said:

I’m usually ok with a cane, but I didn’t want to take any chances on the ship, so we got this rolling walker with a seat to rest on.  It folds pretty easily.

IMG_0870.jpeg

If you purchase this for the cruise, make sure she has a few lapse for practice.  When I had my knees replaced (at the same time), I had to pass muster with my PT.

Doubt Medicare will pick up the cost unless prescribed by a doctor.  Even then, may only spring for a standard walker (I tried).  

14 hours ago, LyssaWorthy said:

IMG_0870.jpeg

That is what my wife uses at home and it is just fine.  However on large ships that require a lot of walking we use our mobility scooters and stay midship.  

• Thanks 1