Norwegian Fjords from Southampton

dolly1965

Good morning everyone. We would love to go on the Norwegian fjords cruise in June this year. We have narrowed it down to P&O or Royal Caribbean. Just wondered if anyone has been on either of these and have recommendations which one to choose. Just my husband and I. Thank you 

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - 14 June 2024 - 7 nights

Southampton | At Sea | Haugesund | Flam | Olden | Stavanger | At Sea | Southampton

Cruise Line: P&O Cruises

Cruise Ship: Iona

Departure Date: 15 Jun 2024

Duration: 7

2 guests per cabin

GF GRADE BALCONY CABIN FWD   NINE FIFTEEN SIXTEEN SEVENTEEN

Southampton, England

At Sea

Stavanger, Norway

Olden, Norway

Innvikfjorden, Norway

Cruise Nordfiord

Alesund, Norway

Haugesund, Norway

At Sea

Hi, Dolly,

That's a tough choice.

Whilst Alesund (P&O) is on the coast, we booked a very worthwhile & sensibly-priced full-day privately-operated coach tour up to the Trollstigen. If they have seats to spare they accept folk who haven't pre-booked, but on our visit it was fully-booked. They give a full refund if the ship fails to port.

https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/tour/alesund-from-fjords-to-trolls/

Innvikfjorden (P&O), which I don't know, is partway up the Nordfjord some 30 miles from Olden (P&O and RCI) at the head of the fjord. Big ships like both Anthem o.t.S and Iona will probably berth in the town, we were tendered at nearby Loen. Options at Olden / Loen include

- the very very very high skylift at Loen

- or a very pleasant and sensibly-priced excursion mainly by boat up the lake at Lovanet to the glacier at Kjenndalsbreen. We found it being offered on arrival & chose it on-spec. The trip starts with a coach at Olden and one at Loen, they meet at the lake. Sorry, don't remember the name of the operator, this website which gives you an idea of the trip is a booking agency https://www.oldencruise.com/loen-lake-and-kjenndal-glacier/

I don't know Flam (RCI), but folk on Cruise Critic rave about the Flam Railway.

I don't quite understand how on a 7-day cruise  P&O seems to include one port more than than RCI ?????

Probably the krunch is whether you like the look of Alesund or Flam

There are of course differences between the ships, altho they're both large.

If you've not sailed both you'll find Anthem has more glitz & toys and cosmopolitan passengers, whereas Iona is rather more reserved and very British.

On-board costs are lower on Iona - on Anthem a daily charge of about $18 per person per day, and service charge on already-higher drinks prices, so you need to take that into account as well as the base fares.

If you're taking teenagers with you Anthem would win hands-down

Norway is expensive, but because your bed and keep are included a cruise is an economical way to visit, as well as the views from the ship.

Finally it's worth repeating your question on the Northern Europe board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-baltic-sea/

Have a great cruise, whichever one you choose 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

I don't quite understand how on a 7-day cruise  P&O seems to include one port more than than RCI ?????

both cruises have four stops.

RCL: Haugesund | Flåm | Olden | Stavanger |

P&O Stavanger | Olden | Ålesund | Haugesund |

For P&O Innvikfjorden, and Nordfiord is 'cruising only' in/out to Olden.

While RCL has two deep fjords (Flåm and Olden), P&O has only one (Olden).

I have never sailed with P&O but often with RCL which is my primary choice. Based on the itineary, I would choose RCL because of the two deep fjords.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, hallasm said:

both cruises have four stops.

RCL: Haugesund | Flåm | Olden | Stavanger |

P&O Stavanger | Olden | Ålesund | Haugesund |

For P&O Innvikfjorden, and Nordfiord is 'cruising only' in/out to Olden.

While RCL has two deep fjords (Flåm and Olden), P&O has only one (Olden).

I have never sailed with P&O but often with RCL which is my primary choice. Based on the itineary, I would choose RCL because of the two deep fjords.

Thanks, @hallasm 

Dolly mentioned Nordfjord as cruising,  and I presumed  Innvikfjorden to be a place. 

I've checked it on Mr Google's map - it shows Innvikfjord as being the innermost part of Nordfjord.

I also checked it on Mr Google's translation - it tells me that "innvik" is Norwegian for "concealed", so "Concealed Fjord"

If I spoke the Norwegian language I'd probably have realised that.

But I don't.

So I didn't.

And not likely to - words are alljoineduptogether justlikeinGerman 🥴

Not my fault, nothing ever is 😀

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

Finally it's worth repeating your question on the Northern Europe board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-baltic-sea/

and btw, if you read down through that thread, there is plenty of advice and discussion about different itinerary and port calls. and especially about Flam, which as JB says, is a must for many people.  I have done that rail trip and it is well worth the effort. 

• Thanks 1