Disappearing solo offers

zoey9220

A few months ago I booked a sailing for later in 2024. While at it I found three others, two in early 2025 and one in late 2025, that I was interested in. I have gone online a couple of times in the past few weeks and two of those three which were offered with a reduced solo supplement are no longer being offered. I also noticed in a search for all sailings with a solo special that the offerings were fewer than before. I know this isn't my imagination because I was seriously interested in a couple of them. Could this be the result of RCI in general getting much tighter with offering solo fares on their main line as well? I really hope they don't go that way. It's tough for those of us singles who don't have anyone or can't find anyone to join them. 

• Like 3

I would take this to mean that a significant number of cabins have been sold in that category since OP first looked.

Discounted solo cabins are like cabins offered in the port to port category. They yield less profit so are offered when there are plenty of open cabins.

Buy it when you see it or it might be gone.

I don't think it has anything to do with RCI. It's just yield management that everyone does.

• Like 2

The other thing to take into consideration can be if they have some 3 pax bookings.  That opens up some solo spaces as the ship has a max capacity.  

Watching solo pricing over a long period, they can come and go, so if there is anything of interest it pays to check back.

I wonder if this might be related to the current promotion providing a reduction of $2000 per guest. This promotion ends in a couple of days. Depending upon what replaces it, attractive solo fares may return. 

• Like 1

I have always booked well in advance (18-24 months) to take advantage of 25% solo rates.  Solo discounts always disappear well before 12 months out and usually are only available again much closer to the sail date.  Transoceanic cruises excepted.

• Like 2

I've noticed the same thing. I had a blast on my solo Silversea cruise last fall, but with work and other issues, I don't plan vacation 1-2 years in advance. At the time (Sept 23) I noted 3 cruises I was really interested in that qualified for the solo special, and they were still available for a few months, but gradually dropped off that solo list. (One on the west coast of Africa, one from Costa Rica to Chile)

Going forward I think I may try to just bite the bullet when I see an itinerary that really intrigues me, and it is on that solo special. Part of what scares me booking so far in advance is that port-to-port makes more sense for me, but it is far less refundable. (and I gather that you can't transfer to another sailing?)

For now, I decided to book one for this fall that I was interested in that *did* qualify for the solo special (Singapore to Cairns). But I'm curious too what happens to cause them to be added or removed from the solo special list. My working hypothesis was that they only offered the solo fare when they were afraid the cruise wasn't booking as quickly as they would like. But if bookings increase, they pull it off the list. I'm hoping they're not getting rid of the concept entirely!

On my actual confirmation of a P2P it says there is a 15% penalty for cancelling 151* and then below it explains the *

* This fee will be converted to a future cruise credit (FCC) redeemable on a new booking made up to 2 years after cancellation, on any sailing commencing no later than one year after the expiry date of the FCC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, frankhi said:

On my actual confirmation of a P2P it says there is a 15% penalty for cancelling 151* and then below it explains the *

* This fee will be converted to a future cruise credit (FCC) redeemable on a new booking made up to 2 years after cancellation, on any sailing commencing no later than one year after the expiry date of the FCC.

@frankhi - What country are you based in? It's possible that there are different terms based on your region/country.

11 hours ago, irvington said:

Going forward I think I may try to just bite the bullet when I see an itinerary that really intrigues me, and it is on that solo special. Part of what scares me booking so far in advance is that port-to-port makes more sense for me, but it is far less refundable. (and I gather that you can't transfer to another sailing?)

If you buy the cruise using an appropriate* credit card, you will be protected if you miss the cruise because of your own sickness or accident. You can get broader protection (including for illness/ death of a family member and other issues) if you buy additional trip insurance. This of course costs extra.

Almost all of us find that cancel for any reason (CFAR) insurance is prohibitive in cost and only covers a fraction of the trip cost.

* Usually more elite credit cards that you pay extra for.

I found a good deal for a solo cruise and grabbed it.   But it is maybe 20 mos in advance.    I'm curious why they would offer a discount 20 mos in advance.    I understand last minute deals to fill the ship.   What is the incentive for the cruise line to offer solo deals so far in advance when they could get someone to book double occupancy?

I'm certainly not looking a gifthorse in the mouth.   I'm appreciative of the offer in such a way that I can relieve my FOMO/anxiety and make sure I can get my spot.   But I'm curious about this.   I think for 2026, if I don't find any advance bargains, I'll be trying to book "last minute" and see if I can get my trips for less than 100% single supplement.

1 hour ago, pavementends said:

If you buy the cruise using an appropriate* credit card, you will be protected if you miss the cruise because of your own sickness or accident. You can get broader protection (including for illness/ death of a family member and other issues) if you buy additional trip insurance. This of course costs extra.

Almost all of us find that cancel for any reason (CFAR) insurance is prohibitive in cost and only covers a fraction of the trip cost.

* Usually more elite credit cards that you pay extra for.

Thanks so much. I'm relatively young and healthy, so anything can happen, but I'm less worried about my own health. I think since I'm still working, I know I only have 3-4 weeks I can be away. And if my mother or mother in law is ill, or one of my kids gets married or needs me for some reason, etc. that could be it for that year (other than some long weekend). So it just seems kind of crazy for me to predict what my life will be like 1-2 years in advance. I actually feel some angst about booking something 6 months away. LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frankhi said:

Frankhi, thank you for posting this information about port to port fares and the 15% penalty.  I had not known this previously.  On my Port to Port invoice from Silversea I do not see this language and I want to make sure I fully understand.  I could not see it under general Terms and Conditions but it is very possible I missed it buried beneath all of the language.  Can I ask where you are reading this about transferring it to a FCC. 

It appeared in the attachment to the email I got from guestconfirmation@silversea.com that was "Your Voyage Confirmation" and appears to be sent from my SS travel consultant. I booked direct.(It didn't appear on my "invoice" email attachment, it was on my "confirmation" email attachment)

Edited by frankhi

I have made enquiries and I am not getting the same information as you.  I also checked my P2P invoices in addition to the official Silversea "Your Voyage Confirmation" that comes as an attachment from Silversea.  I can only speak for the documents I have but nowhere does it state I can move the penalty to FCC.  My paperwork does not have an asterisk next to the payment/penalty schedule with the explanation you show in #8.   Frustrating as it sure would be nice to have that ability. 

Can I ask if anyone else booked on P2P is seeing the same language as Frankhi?

The differences you are seeing may have to do with location.  Frankhi doesn't say, but may be in Europe, and there are numerous differences in what's legal and what's offered on either side of the pond when it comes to fares, refunds, etc.

• Like 2

I tried to post this earlier, and I don't see that it came through. I read the Terms and Conditions, and I don't see that this penalty converts to a FCC. Honestly, if it did convert, I would book much earlier and more trips!

• Like 1

I have noticed a reduction in the number of reduced single supplement voyages available.  Currently there are 46 listed as available on the Silversea website (Australia), this is down from 58 last month.  Generally the number available over the years has been over 100.  

I'm not sure what is going on, but I don't like the trend 😒

• Like 1

11 hours ago, canderson said:

The differences you are seeing may have to do with location.  Frankhi doesn't say, but may be in Europe, and there are numerous differences in what's legal and what's offered on either side of the pond when it comes to fares, refunds, etc.

see post #10 i.e. US (FL)

Edited by frankhi
no right