Norwegians shocking demise of quality on all fronts

JT222

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm just curious: If NCL sent you a letter or did a massive mailing saying that they were only changing itineraries to save money, would that satisfy you?

It would be a lot better than the suits lying to their customers. Or, shall I say the "beards" as Heald describes them? I'd like to see Katty Byrd's beard! 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

While I would normally agree, we had to meet for our excursion at 6:45 a.m. and we do like some time after breakfast to use our cabin bathroom.   

I'll have to look back, mine might have been a 5:45 AM excursion meet time, but when I had one (a ship-sponsored excursion) that early they actually opened the buffet at 4:30 AM so people could eat.

@DCGuy64

I'm just curious: If NCL sent you a letter or did a massive mailing saying that they were only changing itineraries to save money, would that satisfy you?

Yes of course; then I would know they were being honest and could make an informed decision as whether I wanted to continue to cruise with them.

I object when they say they are changing an itinerary for one reason and the port authority say it is for a totally different reason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@DCGuy64

Yes of course; then I would know they were being honest and could make an informed decision as whether I wanted to continue to cruise with them.

I object when they say they are changing an itinerary for one reason and the port authority say it is for a totally different reason.

Thank you for your response.

16 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

If they sent it prior to final payment OR they offered reasonable compensation/cancellation policy for changes after final payment - then yes.

• Like 7

While there has certainly been some cutbacks, I believe the product is still pretty good.

We sailed Joy last July and had a terrific cruise. It was virtually identical to the sailing we did the year before on Joy with service, food and entertainment being extremely close in quality to what we experienced in 2018 and 2020 on Escape and Encore.

We enjoyed it so much last year that we're now booked on Getaway in 51 days!

And I probably wouldn't put the blame on corporate. I believe it is almost entirely a pandemic plus inflation combination that most companies are struggling with right now.

49 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We tried to place an early room service order for one morning for breakfast and was told the earliest it can be delivered is at 6:30 a.m. which was too late for us.  The MDR was opening at 8:00 a.m., buffet at 7:00 a.m. and the Local at 6:00 a.m.     I do not remember in all of our previous cruises as not having at least two options.

I am an early riser and during my 4 cruises in 2023 "early bird" breakfast in the buffet opened either 5.30 or 6.00 on port days (and also some sea days). It's scaled down breakfast  (cereal, bread, cheese, fruit...) but enough to get something inside you. 

(On my Alaska cruise I was  9-10 hours behind Swedish time and hadn't adjusted very well, so I pretty much stood there waiting for them to open up for breakfast at 5.30. 😄  But wow what nice views and sunrises I saw!)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

If they sent it prior to final payment OR they offered reasonable compensation/cancellation policy for changes after final payment - then yes.

So would I. My purpose in asking the question was this: oftentimes, I have been given an explanation that seemed unsatisfactory, and at the time, my response was "don't lie to me, just tell me the truth and I'll be happier," when in fact I know in the back of my mind that I'll still be mad. So, for me (and I'm curious whether I'm alone in this) is it really a case of wanting to be told the truth, or just being mad regardless? That's what I was trying to get at.

43 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

No way I'm getting up that early on vacation, that's also for sure! I think 6:30 am is more than reasonable for the average cruiser. I highly doubt most people are taking excursions at 6:45 AM. (Not saying no one, but I don't think it's typical, therefore the room service times likely suit most people.)

As we are up every workday at 4:45 a.m., we tend to get up early on vacation.   However, we are also on the mindset we would rather partake in our vacation then spend extra hours sleeping in. 

There were also roughly a couple hundred people in the Theater that morning waiting for their excursion so we were by far not the only ones up.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vacation44 said:

As we are up every workday at 4:45 a.m., we tend to get up early on vacation.   However, we are also on the mindset we would rather partake in our vacation then spend extra hours sleeping in. 

There were also roughly a couple hundred people in the Theater that morning waiting for their excursion so we were by far not the only ones up.    

I understand, but I still say 6:45 am for an excursion is not typical. I am saying that 6:30 is plenty early for most people to have their breakfast delivered. It didn't work in your case, but in my opinion, it would most of the time. And I applaud you for being able to get up every workday at 4:45 am. That would not work for me.

We personally just started cruising NCL last year and have already been on the Getaway and the Epic. We have our third scheduled as well. We have a great time and get great service. We like the shows and the hangout spots. We feel the food is good other than the steaks, they  are terrible. LOL. So we just don’t get them. I  Just my two cents.

• Like 1

@Laszlo in my case the SUPER early excursion (might have been 5:45 AM meet in the theater) was in Panama City, for the excursion that went back into the canal through the old locks.  It was WELLL worth the early rise!!!  As noted in my previous comment on this topic, buffet was opened at 4:30 AM.

2 hours ago, JT222 said:

Hi to all

I’m interested in everybody’s feedback regarding NCL product these days. As a very loyal cruiser to NCL I have decided not to book with them again! Since Del Rio left there has been a MASSIVE drop in quality from food to service to entertainment.( This could also just be coincidence or result of covid debts).Is it us or are other loyalists of the same opinion? Even senior management (Katty Byrd) can not be bothered to respond to questions. 

The food quality has plummeted in all venues INCLUDING SPECIALITY. The Shrimp in Cagneys was cheap and crunchy. The buffet is repeated and boring to say the least, The entertainment poor. Guest services rude and miserable, Bar staff understaffed( along with many other departments) and overworked. 

I could go on and on but more than anything I’m so sad that this once excellent cruise line has become so poor. So are we alone in this thought or are other loyalists feeling the same? To senior management I challenge you to join me on a cruise of MY CHOICE undercover to see what your decisions have done. Enjoy the boom now but when things calm down you will suffer as people go elsewhere. 

I would also like to invite management to discuss their love of the environment. Selling a cruise and then changing the itinerary to save fuel is NOT done for the environment. It’s to SAVE MONEY. So sell the cruise with less stops initially so environmental lovers can book and feel so good about it!

Anyway, what’s all your thoughts and maybe someone will listen before the damage is not reversible.

Regards

I am not a NCL loyalist nor and I am not a NCL cheerleader, we  crusie many lines.

I disagree with with you and think the service and quality is no worse than others. It may have changed but, it is just fine.

Todays tourist operations are not the same as in the past (thank goodness).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

While I would normally agree, we had to meet for our excursion at 6:45 a.m. and we do like some time after breakfast to use our cabin bathroom.   

Last year on a Panama Canal cruise, a solo in our group had to get up around 4 a.m. for an early NCL excursion. We were docked in Panama City and I think part of that tour was to experience the canal and locks by boat (as opposed to a gigantic cruise ship). When I saw him at the Solo Gathering later that day, he told the group that it was a good experience but very hot and exhausting. Seems odd that so many who are supposedly regular cruisers are skeptical that there are super early excursions.

However, I don't recall what he said pertaining to getting breakfast. With a bunch of passengers on that tour, I'm would bet that something was done by NCL for breakfast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Last year on a Panama Canal cruise, a solo in our group had to get up around 4 a.m. for an early NCL excursion. We were docked in Panama City and I think part of that tour was to experience the canal and locks by boat (as opposed to a gigantic cruise ship). When I saw him at the Solo Gathering later that day, he told the group that it was a good experience but very hot and exhausting.

My description above is exactly this cruise and excursion, from this month, relayed TWICE in this thread (including what NCL did for us for breakfast) prior to your post.  A tip for future people on this excursion - the starboard side of the tour boat was in the shade...

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

Itinerary and entertainment are the two factors that motivate me to book a certain cruise.  We have been fine with the service and food on all the cruise lines.  The crew is always great and the food varies between okay and very good.  Our last 3 cruises with NCL have had itinerary disruptions after final payment with either nonsensical reasons given or stonewalling. The decline in entertainment post-pandemic is noticeable on all the mass market lines.  I'm hopeful that will perk up now that ships are full again.  Our increased lack of confidence in NCL's published itineraries is the main thing that has caused us to book some cruises on other lines these days.  We still like the NCL product but itinerary is key for us.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I understand, but I still say 6:45 am for an excursion is not typical. I am saying that 6:30 is plenty early for most people to have their breakfast delivered. It didn't work in your case, but in my opinion, it would most of the time. And I applaud you for being able to get up every workday at 4:45 am. That would not work for me.

26 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Where was this excursion at 6:45 am?

Tortola.

It is typical if the ship arrives at 6:45 a.m. and all aboard is 2:00 p.m.   There were a lot of excursions offered for very early morning.    Those with an early excursion had to meet in the theater at 6:45 a.m.   

I am just saying it would of been nice to order room service for 6:00 a.m. instead of going to the buffet.

Screenshot_20240228-151827.thumb.png.1cbe9f42621317fc41811ff0545f64fa.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

So would I. My purpose in asking the question was this: oftentimes, I have been given an explanation that seemed unsatisfactory, and at the time, my response was "don't lie to me, just tell me the truth and I'll be happier," when in fact I know in the back of my mind that I'll still be mad. So, for me (and I'm curious whether I'm alone in this) is it really a case of wanting to be told the truth, or just being mad regardless? That's what I was trying to get at.

Am I disappointed if something gets changed, yes. Am I mad at NCL if they don't tell the truth - absolutely.  Am I really mad at NCL if the truth is that they screwed up and don't care, enough to have me reconsider NCL for future cruises - you bet. And if they don't give a satisfactory reason, then I'm not a happy camper because they lied, regardless of the reason.

So I guess it comes down to the actual lie. Definitely not gonna be happier if the reason is that they want to save money. But I do want to know if the reason we're changing course is because the whales are migrating in our path or the ship has issues or there's a warship up ahead....

Not on a NCL cruise but recently went to Baja to "pet the whales". On our 3rd planned excursion the weather was terrible, the tour company told us we couldn't go. Our guide begged and pleaded (we all had raingear, no biggie). As soon as they told us the truth - that the port had been closed because it was so dark we'd be in danger of hitting a whale because we wouldn't have been able to see them - we left, disappointed but no ill feelings toward the tour company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

For those of you who haven’t noticed a steep decline in the NCL cruising experience, I suggest you take your blinkers off.

Most of us don't use blinkers.  It let's other people know our intentions while driving....

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

6 seems to be plenty early to me…the crew occasionally has to rest. 

I'm not getting up much before 8 on a cruise unless I have a good reason to do so...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

It is typical if the ship arrives at 6:45 a.m. and all aboard is 2:00 p.m.   There were a lot of excursions offered for very early morning.    Those with an early excursion had to meet in the theater at 6:45 a.m.   

I am just saying it would of been nice to order room service for 6:00 a.m. instead of going to the buffet.

I understand. Thanks for providing the graphic. It looks like, apart from Tortola, the departure times were later for the rest of the excursions. Hopefully there was no issue getting food that early. I apologize, I thought you had said before that there was NO food at all available. (Sounds like based on your last message, the buffet was there, at least.) But I agree that it would have been nice for NCL to have something available for guests departing that early. I don't know if you're a fan of completing those post cruise surveys, but that would definitely be something to consider mentioning.

So I have a chance to review again in about 10 days on the NCL Joy and compare it back to pre-Covid cruise I took back in 2017.  There are some differences here and there with the two, mainly traveling with my daughter this time and the ship, but I can definitely give a pretty good comparison to what we had on our last cruise and what we get on this cruise.