Hawaii - what to do in ports?

charliemikeoh

28 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

It didn't matter much to me, our only plans were to go to Foodland Kaahumanu and buy some favorite groceries, which we did anyway.

The poke at Foodland is out of this world. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

On our second trip, DH wanted to do the helicopter tour over the volcano.  This was in 2005 and we used Blue Hawaii. Cost about $300/each and we got a CD at the end.  Highly recommend it.

If you have the time and it's a Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday, you can take the bus to the Aloha Bowl for the flea market/swap meet.  Best place for souvenirs.

Edited by shofer

25 minutes ago, shofer said:

If you have the time and it's a Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday, you can take the bus to the Aloha Bowl for the flea market/swap meet.  Best place for souvenirs.

The best places for souvenirs are Walmart, Long's Drugs, Target and Duke's Lane Waikiki. The swap meet is cheap Chinese tchotchkes and t-shirts that shrink two sizes the first time you wash it.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2024 at 9:52 PM, KeepCalmBearOn said:

The best places for souvenirs are Walmart, Long's Drugs, Target and Duke's Lane Waikiki. The swap meet is cheap Chinese tchotchkes and t-shirts that shrink two sizes the first time you wash it.

Don't forget Hilo Hattie.  We were there in 2002 so I'm sure there has been some changes.  DH was hot to trot to go there since one of his friends recommended it.  If I recall, all we bought were some hats for hubby's work team.

Edited by shofer

11 hours ago, shofer said:

Don't forget Hilo Hattie.  We were there in 2002 so I'm sure there has been some changes.  DH was hot to trot to go there since one of his friends recommended it.  If I recall, all we bought were some hats for hubby's work team.

If you are referring to the Hilo Hattie Factory Store, that is long gone. Hilo Hattie once had probably 30 stores, but is down to three small stores (Oahu, Maui, BI) and one larger store on Kauai, that as of my last HI cruise (Oct 2023) had a shuttle from the port,

On 3/1/2024 at 3:09 PM, trivia addict said:

I find this incredibly insensitive and disrespectful to anyone who has ever served or given their lives to their country. To equate their sacrifice to a waste of your time is hard for me to understand 

As a combat veteran myself, I say thank you for your post!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, STLCARDS82 said:

As a combat veteran myself, I say thank you for your post!!!

And thank you for your service!

My father served on a Navy ship in the Pacific in WWII. I honor him and all who fought with him. The least we can do is remember them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 9:50 AM, KeepCalmBearOn said:

If you are referring to the Hilo Hattie Factory Store, that is long gone. Hilo Hattie once had probably 30 stores, but is down to three small stores (Oahu, Maui, BI) and one larger store on Kauai, that as of my last HI cruise (Oct 2023) had a shuttle from the port,

That's too bad.  But I don't see myself going to HI any time soon.

On 7/9/2024 at 8:09 PM, trivia addict said:

And thank you for your service!

My father served on a Navy ship in the Pacific in WWII. I honor him and all who fought with him. The least we can do is remember them.

My dad was a medic but he never had to go overseas.  Served most of his time in POW camps in Wisconsin for the German prisoners.  They wrote to my mother and 2 of those letters still exist.  My kids took them to school when they were studying WWII.