Inside Passage Scenery

Auntiejo

22 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

The southbound schedule also has similar issue, I assume.  As most of the ships reach Vancouver Port early morning around 7.30 am, the narrow portions (Johnsonton straight and georgia straight) are passed during night..

Negative, at least some of Johnstone Strait is in daylight. How much is in daylight depends on the times of slack water at Seymour.

18 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

Day 2 comments - If you wish to observe the transit through Johnstone Strait at night, I suggest staying up until about 07:00 to 08:00. As per my previous post, if it is a clear night with reasonable moonlight, the views are fairly impressive. If it is dull and overcast, I don't suggest missing sleep.

I didn't know one can see and appreciate the view with moon light. Now I get it. thank you!!! If one stays really late (let's say 12-1am) instead of getting up very early, would he be able to catch some first sight of johnson strait? 

Navigating channels at night, with a full moon, isn't that much different that daylight and a clear, moonlight night is way better than dull, overcast day with a low ceiling.

You should also consider that close to the Solstice, in northern latitudes we never get total darkness. Even around the top of Vancouver Island, from about 3rd week in May to middle of July, it never goes past Astronomical Twilight, which is the 3rd twilight at sunset and 1st at sunrise.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Departure Ketchikan you have the town to port and airport to stbd. You then sail through Tongass Narrows, which is quite narrow and reasonably scenic, with the best views being from up fwd. The ship then sails down Revillagigedo Channel towards Dixon Entrance. It has a number of islands each side. On a sunny day it is quite scenic, but a dull, overcast day with low clouds, not so much.

The speed is determined by the Seymour tides, but best guess is about 6 hrs to clear Revillagigedo Channel, entering Dixon Entrance. Here you have the Canadian mainland to port and open ocean to stbd. Not overly scenic.

You will set course for Hecate Strait, which is a very wide channel. All you will see are the tops of mountains. Clearing Hecate Strait, you will set course for Queen Charlotte Sound, picking up the coast pilot around Pine Island.

When you arrive at Pine Island depends on the speed and tides at Seymour. At 20 kts, Pine Island to Vancouver is about 13 hrs, and Pine Island to Seymour 7 - 8 hrs. However, most cruise ships are steaming much slower. If the Seymour tides are Midnight, I expect the ship would be at Pine Island about 12:00 - 15:00.

Upon picking up the pilot, the first 2 to 3 hrs is through Queen Charlotte Sound, which has mountain scenery both sides. On approaching Malcolm Island, the scenery improves as you enter Blackfish Passage, then Johnstone Strait. With scenery on both sides, I always prefer to be up fwd.

Sunset May 14th is about 21:15, so if it is a nice day, you should have light until at least 21:45. Best guess is light until somewhere between Helmecken island and Rock Bay. However, if you have a clear, moonlight evening it is still scenic until through Seymour and Campbell River.

These are all best guesses, as speeds and timings are all dependent on the Seymour tides. 

Thanks very much Andy.  You are always a wealth of very useful information.  We're very excited to finally be travelling this route.  

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:25 PM, wolfie11 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won’t see much of the Inside Passage northbound out of Vancouver unless you are up really early in the morning.  Most of the narrow part of the passage is transited during the night.  You will likely be in Queen Charlotte Strait or even in the Sound by breakfast.

Is that bad scenery?  I keep reading .. “you’ll be disappointed going Northbound”🤨 Is Queen Charlotte Strait or the Sound nor scenic?

What will be missed “in the narrow part of the passage” while we’re sleeping?

I am very nervous I made a huge mistake booking Northbound

2 hours ago, maggiev said:

Is that bad scenery?  I keep reading .. “you’ll be disappointed going Northbound”🤨 Is Queen Charlotte Strait or the Sound nor scenic?

What will be missed “in the narrow part of the passage” while we’re sleeping?

I am very nervous I made a huge mistake booking Northbound

Hecate Strait definitely isn't scenic, as all you see is the top of mountains on the horizon. Queen Charlotte Strait is probably OK the first time, if you don't live close to mountains, but after seeing it every day for 2-weeks per month, it pales in comparison to the really scenic areas of the coast.

9 hours ago, nordicacres said:

Most Southbound cruises dock early AM. So will you not miss the most scenic parts during overnight hours also? I never understood this “advantage”. 

Please see posts 25 & 26 for the answer. Having completed 2 seasons R/T from Vancouver followed by many years on the BC coast, I have experienced the differences.

17 hours ago, kajasmin said:

What about round trip to Vancouver? It says it's day 2.

Northbound from Vancouver, the vessel will be entering Queen Charlotte Sound after Helmecken Island around 07:00/08:00 and then it is open water up Hecate Strait.

You transit Johnstone Strait at night.

• Thanks 2