Inside Passage Scenery

Auntiejo

Hello. Finally taking an Alaska cruise in June for the first time! We are on the Sapphire Princess NB Voyage of the Glaciers.

My newbie Alaska cruiser question is about the sea day between Vancouver & Ketchikan. Since it's on a smaller ship, it's going through the inside passage - curious how much/what type of scenery we can expect to see on that sea day?  Is it scenic the whole way? Should we plan our day around chilling out on the balcony, open decks and venues with large windows? Or is the scenery not that exciting on the way up? Thanks.

Edited by Auntiejo

If the sun's up and the temperature is tolerable, you should be outside - if the temp isn't tolerable, you should have brought more layers of clothes 😉

Some of the narrowest, most spectacular land-on-both-sides views of your entire cruise are on that first day (and in June, especially around the solstice, you'll have until ~9:30pm for sunset and then a good chunk of viable twilight scenery-watching even after that!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martincath said:

If the sun's up and the temperature is tolerable, you should be outside - if the temp isn't tolerable, you should have brought more layers of clothes 😉

Some of the narrowest, most spectacular land-on-both-sides views of your entire cruise are on that first day (and in June, especially around the solstice, you'll have until ~9:30pm for sunset and then a good chunk of viable twilight scenery-watching even after that!)

What would you recommend for dinner that evening?  Maybe room service since we have a Sunset Veranda?

2 minutes ago, kayehall said:

What would you recommend for dinner that evening?  Maybe room service since we have a Sunset Veranda?

Sure, if the weather's nice enough to dine outside the timing would be great to do that while crusing the IP; or perhaps a 'pay extra' resto which would likely be a smaller room, proportionately more window tables? But unless you're really late eaters, sunset in June is probably more 'take a cocktail to somewhere with a nice view' and with just a drink in hand you can wander the decks to find the best viewing spot ("Oh no, woe is me, the sun is setting over on the portside but the scenery off starboard is even prettier!" means being somewhere up top where you can see both sides is better than almost any balcony, even a corner... And if some a**hole dolphins decide to start playing in the bow wave at sunset you really need as close to a 360 view as possible to see it all!!!! 😉)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, martincath said:

Sure, if the weather's nice enough to dine outside the timing would be great to do that while crusing the IP; or perhaps a 'pay extra' resto which would likely be a smaller room, proportionately more window tables? But unless you're really late eaters, sunset in June is probably more 'take a cocktail to somewhere with a nice view' and with just a drink in hand you can wander the decks to find the best viewing spot ("Oh no, woe is me, the sun is setting over on the portside but the scenery off starboard is even prettier!" means being somewhere up top where you can see both sides is better than almost any balcony, even a corner... And if some a**hole dolphins decide to start playing in the bow wave at sunset you really need as close to a 360 view as possible to see it all!!!! 😉)

We are sailing in last week of May 2024, north bound inside passage in Sapphire. How crowded the forward of the ship in the viewing deck? Is it only standing deck ? I assume we should spend most of the day in the viewing decks..

47 minutes ago, martincath said:

Those damn dolphins!!!  We were on a catamaran in Maui and a bunch of dolphins decided they wanted to play.  They were actually playing alongside the cat.  In the front, between the twin hull, where the net is that you can sit on and also more swimming along side our wake.  It was totally awesome!!!

• Haha 1

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won’t see much of the Inside Passage northbound out of Vancouver unless you are up really early in the morning.  Most of the narrow part of the passage is transited during the night.  You will likely be in Queen Charlotte Strait or even in the Sound by breakfast.

20 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won’t see much of the Inside Passage northbound out of Vancouver unless you are up really early in the morning.  Most of the narrow part of the passage is transited during the night.  You will likely be in Queen Charlotte Strait or even in the Sound by breakfast.

The only option available for NB cruise to maximize the scenery viewing, is sacrifice some sleep..Stay awake previous day night and get up early and grab a coffee and go to viewing deck..

You’ll be in the wider part of the Strait of Georgia after leaving Vancouver.  It’s very pretty and you pass a historic lighthouse around an hour from departure.  However OP asked about the sea day and we answered what you could expect on that day.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Thanks 1

OK so in summary - worthwhile scenery from sailaway until twlight on embarkation day, but on the first sea day, the best scenery we will have already passed in the night?

@wolfie11 When you say "unless you get up really early" - what are we talking? Like 3 AM? or like 6 AM? 

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

You’ll be in the wider part of the Strait of Georgia after leaving Vancouver.  It’s very pretty and you pass a historic lighthouse around an hour from departure.  However OP asked about the sea day and we answered what you could expect on that day.

Thank you! :classic_happy:

On 2/28/2024 at 3:42 PM, Auntiejo said:

Hello. Finally taking an Alaska cruise in June for the first time! We are on the Sapphire Princess NB Voyage of the Glaciers.

My newbie Alaska cruiser question is about the sea day between Vancouver & Ketchikan. Since it's on a smaller ship, it's going through the inside passage - curious how much/what type of scenery we can expect to see on that sea day?  Is it scenic the whole way? Should we plan our day around chilling out on the balcony, open decks and venues with large windows? Or is the scenery not that exciting on the way up? Thanks.

Departure Vancouver is usually about 17:00. Sailing out the harbour is very scenic on the port side with Stanley Park. Stbd side isn't so pleasant, being a sulphur dock. Clearing 1st Narrows, you have West Vancouver homes to stbd and anchored ships on both sides. On the Port side, you have the end of Stanley park then the Vancouver shoreline out to UBC.

Entering Georgia Strait, you have a succession of smaller islands on both side, and Vancouver Island to port and mainland to stbd. If close to the Solstice, sunset is about 21:30, with the ship being about Hornby to Courtney, depending on Seymour tides.

If it is a clear evening you have every chance of seeing a great sunset.

Unfortunately, the narrow channel is navigated at night, with the ship being around Robson Bight/Blackfish around the first light. By 07:00/08:00 the ship is well clear of the most scenic areas, although you still have mountains on both sides for a couple of hours, so it is reasonable scenery, if it's your first time.

Once passed Pine Island, you will head for Hecate Strait, which is a very wide channel (30+ miles wide), so you will only see the tops of the mountains. It remains like this until well after sunset. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Departure Vancouver is usually about 17:00. Sailing out the harbour is very scenic on the port side with Stanley Park. Stbd side isn't so pleasant, being a sulphur dock. Clearing 1st Narrows, you have West Vancouver homes to stbd and anchored ships on both sides. On the Port side, you have the end of Stanley park then the Vancouver shoreline out to UBC.

Entering Georgia Strait, you have a succession of smaller islands on both side, and Vancouver Island to port and mainland to stbd. If close to the Solstice, sunset is about 21:30, with the ship being about Hornby to Courtney, depending on Seymour tides.

If it is a clear evening you have every chance of seeing a great sunset.

Unfortunately, the narrow channel is navigated at night, with the ship being around Robson Bight/Blackfish around the first light. By 07:00/08:00 the ship is well clear of the most scenic areas, although you still have mountains on both sides for a couple of hours, so it is reasonable scenery, if it's your first time.

Once passed Pine Island, you will head for Hecate Strait, which is a very wide channel (30+ miles wide), so you will only see the tops of the mountains. It remains like this until well after sunset. 

This is very helpful.  I just booked the NB route this morning on Grand Princess.  Ideally, I would have done the SB route to catch this section during more ideal viewing hours but it is what it is.  I'll plan to sleep less during these hours 😉

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. I am still confused on how early one needs to get up on day 2 to be able to catch the scenery though. Trying to attach a timestamp to the locations mentioned in the post above:

on day 1: 
-- so it is the right understanding that one is better off grabbing a quick bite (instead of spending hours in formal dining room) to catch the sunset, or plan to eat after 9:30pm (not even sure if cruise ship would allow that)?

on day 2: 
Unfortunately, the narrow channel is navigated at night, with the ship being around Robson Bight/Blackfish around the first light.
To not miss it, one needs to get up around 5am? (sunrise for June Victoria BC is around 5am, but i am not sure if Victoria BC is the right benchmark to check on sunrise sunset time here). or, by getting up at around 5am-ish, can one still catch the nice part of narrow channel or is it already sort of late? That's the part I am not getting: with the ship being around Robson Bight/Blackfish area, is it good or already entering the wider and hence somewhat less interesting section?

I read some old posts from this forum earlier that the cons of south bound itinerary was to miss the best part of inside passage scenery, but those posts were from years ago. Possibly that information is no longer valid due to schedule changes over the years? I wish i can dig these links out but google isn't very helpful here. 

1 hour ago, Kingsmom said:

This is very helpful.  I just booked the NB route this morning on Grand Princess.  Ideally, I would have done the SB route to catch this section during more ideal viewing hours but it is what it is.  I'll plan to sleep less during these hours 😉

If it is a clear night with reasonable moonlight, the view through the channel at night is quite impressive. Definitely worth a few hours of lost sleep. If it is dull, overcast with low clouds, enjoy the sleep.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sharon_pei said:

Thank you for the information. I am still confused on how early one needs to get up on day 2 to be able to catch the scenery though. Trying to attach a timestamp to the locations mentioned in the post above:

on day 1: 
-- so it is the right understanding that one is better off grabbing a quick bite (instead of spending hours in formal dining room) to catch the sunset, or plan to eat after 9:30pm (not even sure if cruise ship would allow that)?

on day 2: 
Unfortunately, the narrow channel is navigated at night, with the ship being around Robson Bight/Blackfish around the first light.
To not miss it, one needs to get up around 5am? (sunrise for June Victoria BC is around 5am, but i am not sure if Victoria BC is the right benchmark to check on sunrise sunset time here). or, by getting up at around 5am-ish, can one still catch the nice part of narrow channel or is it already sort of late? That's the part I am not getting: with the ship being around Robson Bight/Blackfish area, is it good or already entering the wider and hence somewhat less interesting section?

I read some old posts from this forum earlier that the cons of south bound itinerary was to miss the best part of inside passage scenery, but those posts were from years ago. Possibly that information is no longer valid due to schedule changes over the years? I wish i can dig these links out but google isn't very helpful here. 

Day 1 comments - if you wish to fully enjoy the scenery in Georgia Strait, I would probably have a late lunch, or early snack prior to 17:00 departure. If still hungry, you can order room service after sunset. Don't forget that after sunset, you still have a good period of twilight, which is longer in more northerly latitudes than further south.

Day 2 comments - If you wish to observe the transit through Johnstone Strait at night, I suggest staying up until about 07:00 to 08:00. As per my previous post, if it is a clear night with reasonable moonlight, the views are fairly impressive. If it is dull and overcast, I don't suggest missing sleep.

To put it in perspective, every Sunday morning at 04:00 when I went back to work on the Bridge, the ship was close to Robson Bight, depending on Seymour tides.

The southbound schedules haven't changed in 50 yrs, as they are dictated by the arrival time Vancouver and the slack water at Seymour Narrows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The southbound schedule also has similar issue, I assume.  As most of the ships reach Vancouver Port early morning around 7.30 am, the narrow portions (Johnsonton straight and georgia straight) are passed during night..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

The southbound schedule also has similar issue, I assume.  As most of the ships reach Vancouver Port early morning around 7.30 am, the narrow portions (Johnsonton straight and georgia straight) are passed during night..

Nope.  Johnstone Strait is middle of the day.

• Like 1

Day 2 comments - If you wish to observe the transit through Johnstone Strait at night, I suggest staying up until about 07:00 to 08:00. As per my previous post, if it is a clear night with reasonable moonlight, the views are fairly impressive. If it is dull and overcast, I don't suggest missing sleep.

I didn't know one can see and appreciate the view with moon light. Now I get it. thank you!!! If one stays really late (let's say 12-1am) instead of getting up very early, would he be able to catch some first sight of johnson strait? 

9 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

Day 2 comments - If you wish to observe the transit through Johnstone Strait at night, I suggest staying up until about 07:00 to 08:00. As per my previous post, if it is a clear night with reasonable moonlight, the views are fairly impressive. If it is dull and overcast, I don't suggest missing sleep.

I didn't know one can see and appreciate the view with moon light. Now I get it. thank you!!! If one stays really late (let's say 12-1am) instead of getting up very early, would he be able to catch some first sight of johnson strait? 

It depends on what time you transit Seymour Narrows, which varies every trip depending on the tide cycle.  The bridge has all the timings for your cruise.  Ask the cruise director or at customer service if they would kindly call the bridge for you and find out what time the ship will enter Johnstone Strait.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, millybess said:

@Heidi13Hi Andy.  Would you comment on scenery, timing and port vs. starboard if one were departing Ketchikan at 1400 May 12 and arriving Vancouver at 0700 May 14.  Thank you, as always.🙂

Departure Ketchikan you have the town to port and airport to stbd. You then sail through Tongass Narrows, which is quite narrow and reasonably scenic, with the best views being from up fwd. The ship then sails down Revillagigedo Channel towards Dixon Entrance. It has a number of islands each side. On a sunny day it is quite scenic, but a dull, overcast day with low clouds, not so much.

The speed is determined by the Seymour tides, but best guess is about 6 hrs to clear Revillagigedo Channel, entering Dixon Entrance. Here you have the Canadian mainland to port and open ocean to stbd. Not overly scenic.

You will set course for Hecate Strait, which is a very wide channel. All you will see are the tops of mountains. Clearing Hecate Strait, you will set course for Queen Charlotte Sound, picking up the coast pilot around Pine Island.

When you arrive at Pine Island depends on the speed and tides at Seymour. At 20 kts, Pine Island to Vancouver is about 13 hrs, and Pine Island to Seymour 7 - 8 hrs. However, most cruise ships are steaming much slower. If the Seymour tides are Midnight, I expect the ship would be at Pine Island about 12:00 - 15:00.

Upon picking up the pilot, the first 2 to 3 hrs is through Queen Charlotte Sound, which has mountain scenery both sides. On approaching Malcolm Island, the scenery improves as you enter Blackfish Passage, then Johnstone Strait. With scenery on both sides, I always prefer to be up fwd.

Sunset May 14th is about 21:15, so if it is a nice day, you should have light until at least 21:45. Best guess is light until somewhere between Helmecken island and Rock Bay. However, if you have a clear, moonlight evening it is still scenic until through Seymour and Campbell River.

These are all best guesses, as speeds and timings are all dependent on the Seymour tides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1