World Wine Tour - thoughts?

lesliew

Can anyone comment on what the World Wine Tour entails?

Currently on sale for one day and I am wondering if it's worth it (we do not have a beverage pkg).

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, lesliew said:

Can anyone comment on what the World Wine Tour entails?

Currently on sale for one day and I am wondering if it's worth it (we do not have a beverage pkg).

Thank you.

Its 6 white 6 red from various countries. Most are from the basic package but it varies from ship and sailing. You get an hour to try all the wines and rate them.  I just signed up for my 13 night TA cruise as it was 29% off as opposed to 10% so I thought nothing to lose at that price. 

I did it on Equinox in November. It was basically as described, and underwhelming. There were a couple of interesting wines at best. I think I wrote about it in my sort of review at the time. The premium wine tasting was a sit down tasting and much better, but also much more expensive. And I think the last afternoon.

I had done the World Wine Tour before, also on Equinox, and had a totally different experience. So unfortunately it's almost impossible to predict what you're experience will be. And I also don't know your level of interest in wine or experience with wine from around the world.

• Thanks 1

What's the sale price? I'd pay $30 for it, not more than that.  I'm the kind of wine drinker in the middle.  Not new to drinking wine and not a snob, usually, but I still found the World Wine Tour fun if you go in with the right expectations.  No, you will not be drinking $200 a bottle wine.  But you might get to talk to a more knowledgeable sommelier.  And it's kind of fun even if you're not trying to drink as much as possible.  It can be kind of a zoo, but in a fun way.

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What's the sale price? I'd pay $30 for it, not more than that.  I'm the kind of wine drinker in the middle.  Not new to drinking wine and not a snob, usually, but I still found the World Wine Tour fun if you go in with the right expectations.  No, you will not be drinking $200 a bottle wine.  But you might get to talk to a more knowledgeable sommelier.  And it's kind of fun even if you're not trying to drink as much as possible.  It can be kind of a zoo, but in a fun way.

I paid $43 CAD which is around $31 US pretty good price; wouldn't get it for that onboard. 

Just booked this for our upcoming May cruise.   

We have done this before and my plan is to talk to the Cellar Master a day or two before the event and find out what the offerings are going to be and cancel if I do not like what I hear. 

The last time was in 2021 on Reflection and I enjoyed it.  Most of the wines we had were available via bottle only.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Just booked this for our upcoming May cruise.   

We have done this before and my plan is to talk to the Cellar Master a day or two before the event and find out what the offerings are going to be and cancel if I do not like what I hear. 

The last time was in 2021 on Reflection and I enjoyed it.  Most of the wines we had were available via bottle only.  

When I was on the Apex TA last spring I went to Eden where it was held but didn't care for most of the wines and others I had already tried so I just left. This time I have already committed myself for the Ascent TA in April at 29% off. I tried to book it for my Beyond sailing this month but only 10% off. I called and girl on phone asked supervisor and she said no. Oh well I give her credit for trying.  And who knows if I fancy the wines I'll probably sign up on board but asking sommelier in advance is a great idea.

• Thanks 1

I recently paid $32 per person, which included the gratuity.

We don’t have the beverage package. If we did I  might skip.

At that price I think it is worth it.  We’ve done it before so we have an idea of what to expect. I don’t think I would spend much more.

As others have said it can be a bit of a zoo. You get to try several OK wines and talk to other passengers about wine and the wine stewards who sometimes know what they are talking about.

DO NOT expect expensive wines.  Probably all below $15 - $20 at your local wine shop.

To put things into perspective, I have never spent over $100 for a bottle of wine (except ports), and maybe buy 5 bottles a year over $40.  So I like wine and going to wineries for tasting but tend to buy in the $15 to $35 range at wine shops/wineries. I guess that translates to $60-$150 shipboard prices.

6 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I recently paid $32 per person, which included the gratuity.

At that price I think it is worth it.  We’ve done it before so we have an idea of what to expect. I don’t think I would spend much more.

As others have said it can be a bit of a zoo. You get to try several OK wines and talk to other passengers about wine and the wine stewards who sometimes know what they are talking about.

DO NOT expect expensive wines.  Probably all below $15 - $20 at your local wine shop.

To put things into perspective, I have never spent over $100 for a bottle of wine (except ports), and maybe buy 5 bottles a year over $40.  So I like wine and going to wineries for tasting but tend to buy in the $15 to $35 range at wine shops/wineries. I guess that translates to $60-$150 shipboard prices.

I don't buy the package either. Celebrity gives me 2 bottles and I bring 1 from home.  I am Elite plus so take advantage of the HH and that works for me. I usually purchase fairly pricey wines at home but wait until they get discounted at 20 to 30 off.  Last week scored a Belle Glos pinot which had 2 markdowns due to overstock from xmas. Usually retails for $70 but would never pay that. Bought 6 bottles at $39 each. CAD.

• Like 3

Thank you all.

We got it at the 29% off Sale, so are happy with the price.

No big expectations other than to have a few glasses of wine and meet some people.

Cheers!  🥂🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lesliew said:

No big expectations other than to have a few glasses of wine and meet some people

Thats a great way to look at it.  

• Like 1

We did it on Solstice last year. The wines were fair to middling. There were a couple we liked and a couple we didn’t - those went into the spit bucket and they poured us a little more of the ones we preferred. It was a good way to pass a few hours (counting the post-tasting nap, lol).

10 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I don't buy the package either. Celebrity gives me 2 bottles and I bring 1 from home.  I am Elite plus so take advantage of the HH and that works for me. I usually purchase fairly pricey wines at home but wait until they get discounted at 20 to 30 off.  Last week scored a Belle Glos pinot which had 2 markdowns due to overstock from xmas. Usually retails for $70 but would never pay that. Bought 6 bottles at $39 each. CAD.

Belle Glos is one of my favorites. It’s about $50USD here in CA but some friends tipped us off to a sale from a place in Virginia and we laid down a case for about $40USD in 2020. We have one bottle left. ❤️🍷

How do you get 2 bottles of wine from X? We are also Elite + and haven’t heard of that perk….

10 hours ago, lesliew said:

Thank you all.

We got it at the 29% off Sale, so are happy with the price.

No big expectations other than to have a few glasses of wine and meet some people.

Cheers!  🥂🙂

That’s a good way to approach it - enjoy!

11 hours ago, critterchick said:

How do you get 2 bottles of wine from X? We are also Elite + and haven’t heard of that perk….

I use a CVP and have given him lots of business over the years also brought him new customers so I guess thats the reason. 

On 3/1/2024 at 8:43 AM, LB_NJ said:

I am curious as to why?  We sail in the Retreat with the Premium package and I still sign up for these.  In my experience the wines served are usually ones not included in the package so I am getting to try wines I normally would not be able to try at an inexpensive price.  Additionally, if I find one I or my DW really enjoys, I can  buy a bottle or two at a discount. 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:57 AM, drakes2 said:

I use a CVP and have given him lots of business over the years also brought him new customers so I guess thats the reason. 

So it's actually your CVP that's gifting you the wine versus Celebrity.  That sounds like the same type of deal as the OBC our TA gives us.  

On 3/1/2024 at 8:43 AM, LB_NJ said:

So I like wine and going to wineries for tasting but tend to buy in the $15 to $35 range at wine shops/wineries.

I am pretty much the same.  We below to two 'wine clubs' and get a bottle from each every month.  One is a local vineyard, 868 Estate Vineyards, and the other is a national chain, Coopers Hawk.   Our wines run in the $30 - $40 per bottle range for both.  

I have had expensive wines, $250 a bottle, but find that I prefer those than run between $20 and $40 when buying for myself. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I am curious as to why?  We sail in the Retreat with the Premium package and I still sign up for these.  In my experience the wines served are usually ones not included in the package so I am getting to try wines I normally would not be able to try at an inexpensive price.  Additionally, if I find one I or my DW really enjoys, I can  buy a bottle or two at a discount. 

So it's actually your CVP that's gifting you the wine versus Celebrity.  That sounds like the same type of deal as the OBC our TA gives us.  

I am pretty much the same.  We below to two 'wine clubs' and get a bottle from each every month.  One is a local vineyard, 868 Estate Vineyards, and the other is a national chain, Coopers Hawk.   Our wines run in the $30 - $40 per bottle range for both.  

I have had expensive wines, $250 a bottle, but find that I prefer those than run between $20 and $40 when buying for myself. 

I did a champagne tasting a few years back.  Dom Perignon, Veuve Clicquot, a few others.  Took me a few days.  I found I was happy with $60 champagne.  

I was in the Opolo California wine club a few times.  That averages $40-50.  I usually buy wine about $20-30 but just bought some non wine club wines at a box wine store for about $50 each.  Grgich, Heitz Cab 2018, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

While they may not be the same wines if you have the premium package you can create your own wine tasting experience by trying various wines that are included or are just a few dollars more.

Plus I know that there are wines I definitely don’t like and I can just avoid them. If they are part of the 6 or so wines that are in the World Wine Tour then I’m stuck.

We did it on Silhouette last year when it was held in Tuscan. The sommeliers are stationed in the entrance with a wine (think it was 6 white and 6 red) and you basically wandered around tasting the wines (and you could go back and have more of your preferred wines). Lots of cheese and breads also available in the centre. If you've got a good deal I would certainly do it. 

2 hours ago, RmwG78 said:

We did it on Silhouette last year when it was held in Tuscan. The sommeliers are stationed in the entrance with a wine (think it was 6 white and 6 red) and you basically wandered around tasting the wines (and you could go back and have more of your preferred wines). Lots of cheese and breads also available in the centre. If you've got a good deal I would certainly do it. 

For the price I paid I thought it was worth it plus it will kill part of the afternoon on 8 long sea days. I've only done it on S class ships in Cellar Masters and it was never crowded. This time I will be on the Ascent. On the Beyond for the March 22nd sailing so if I fancy whats being offered I will probably try it but I do like to see what they're serving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas.  Ironically we did purchase the package only to find it was cancelled once onboard!  Oh well.

37 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I would like to do this but I can't see what day it is on. How do I find out please? I'm going to be in Millenium soon

The date/time is not know until after you board. 

We usually book it and then if we find the scheduled time is inconvenient, we cancel and get a refund in OBC to use for something else. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

I see with gratuity it’s almost $50 pp.  Not sure if I’ll do it again.

I paid just under $75 for the two of us.  

On 3/17/2024 at 4:48 PM, Cathygh said:

I would like to do this but I can't see what day it is on. How do I find out please? I'm going to be in Millenium soon

It's always on a sea day in the afternoon most times around 2 pm

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

I see with gratuity it’s almost $50 pp.  Not sure if I’ll do it again.

If that's in USD not worth it. I bought mine on the leap day special at 29% off