*LIVE* NCL Joy 3/9 - 3/16

SliderNc

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ok...you've mentioned dogs. You realize it is now mandatory you post photos of said "big dogs!" 

Alright, you don't really have to. We'll let it slide! 

Happy packing, if it's not quite all done yet!

Also, I had those kind of groups when I was working on my degree. I was the one that tried to get out as quick as possible - like I have a hike to go on, y'all (in my more slim days). Then we'd be there two hours debating how to present a chart. 

Yes, you need to pay the dog tax now 🙂

Looking forward to your trip- we were on Joy last Feb (Mexican Riviera)

and June (Bermuda) and booked on her for Bermuda this June- looking forward to seeing pictures of her glow-up!

Edited by psuboater

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ok...you've mentioned dogs. You realize it is now mandatory you post photos of said "big dogs!" 

Alright, you don't really have to. We'll let it slide! 

Happy packing, if it's not quite all done yet!

Also, I had those kind of groups when I was working on my degree. I was the one that tried to get out as quick as possible - like I have a hike to go on, y'all (in my more slim days). Then we'd be there two hours debating how to present a chart. 

The big one is Jetta, she's 75lb Pitbull/Boxer mix.  The smaller one is Penelope Catherine (Penny Cate) because we live in the south and my daughter said she needed two names and she is about 35lbs and a boxer/blue tick hound mix.

IMG_2698.thumb.JPG.faebb568c6c211fb57b97ff0c5145a8d.JPG

My program team is really good, but when we got into some of the electives, the teams get swapped around.  My team for my tactical asset allocation class is a bit much for me.  I'm also much older than most of my cohort (46 vs the average age of 28) so while they are really like whiney about things at times, I just go with the flow and get my work done way ahead of them.  Last night, I was the only one prepared with the stock screenings we needed to do which pissed me off and took what could have been an email into an hour and a half discussion/research which in the end was them agreeing to go with my suggestions.  I'm done in May and will leave my hooding ceremony running.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SliderNc said:

The big one is Jetta, she's 75lb Pitbull/Boxer mix.  The smaller one is Penelope Catherine (Penny Cate) because we live in the south and my daughter said she needed two names and she is about 35lbs and a boxer/blue tick hound mix.

IMG_2698.thumb.JPG.faebb568c6c211fb57b97ff0c5145a8d.JPG

My program team is really good, but when we got into some of the electives, the teams get swapped around.  My team for my tactical asset allocation class is a bit much for me.  I'm also much older than most of my cohort (46 vs the average age of 28) so while they are really like whiney about things at times, I just go with the flow and get my work done way ahead of them.  Last night, I was the only one prepared with the stock screenings we needed to do which pissed me off and took what could have been an email into an hour and a half discussion/research which in the end was them agreeing to go with my suggestions.  I'm done in May and will leave my hooding ceremony running.

Oh, they're adorable! And so comfy...Thank you!! I'm a weirdo and even appreciate seeing other's pups. Or, I just wish I lived in a world where my co-workers were dogs. It might not be quiet, but there'd be far less drama. 

I love how you said "really like whiney..." haha, it's so like how they talk (my husband's 28 haha). 

As for my uhh graduation ceremony...yep, I didn't attend. I had some time to either go hiking or go to the ceremony. I chose hiking! 

Minus some small carry ones this is what our luggage ended up being.  Only one of those are mine.  IMG_0385.jpeg.26f30e69583125bcf948989286b4b320.jpeg

We are boarded and on our way to Miami. 

IMG_6586.thumb.jpeg.8efcdc82f05a6730d9dd26ffdae25c6e.jpeg

• Like 11

So last night at dinner at our hotel we found out my daughter doesn’t have any tennis shoes.   While she is 11 I was hoping that she would know she needed them.   Looks like we are going to make a quick stop to Dicks Sporting Goods before we head to the port.   

We are getting breakfast right now and then packing up to head out.   We have 11-1130 check in time.  My daughter has been up since about 6 I think and is fully running on adrenaline right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We are checked in and in the Haven seating area waiting to board.   From the last time I was here in 2017 this was an even more smooth process checking in.  Traffic insane though.   

IMG_0389.jpeg.169c374e4330e65ff3b1d2ca90c32518.jpegIMG_0388.jpeg.e987e528eb34044d6cec529881fcf628.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On board the Joy 16th-23rd

It will be my second time on this ship.   Very excited. Curious as to what the changes will be like since my last time on board. I was also haven last time  but will be in a regular cabin this time. So it will be a different experience either way. Hope they still have the full Beatles on board at tavern and also curious as to what other entertainment is there.  I am 
disappointed they removed the footloose for deal or no deal. Hoping the other entertainment makes up for it. 

looking forward to your full report ! 

have a blast! 

Overall boarding process for the Haven went really smooth.  We arrived about 20 minutes before our 11am slot.  We were directed to a small Haven stand where they took us up to a private security and check in. 

About 15 minutes after that we were on the ship in the Haven.  We registered our daughter for the Splash Academy and then headed to explore the ship a bit. 

We ate lunch in the Haven restaurant.  I had the Israeli Couscous salad and the seared scallops and both were very good.  Wife had some sliced veggies and the shrimp scampi while my daughter had a modified Cobb salad.  They said theirs were good as well.  

Wife and daughter found their Starbucks and we are just waiting on some suitcases.   Snapped some pics as well.  IMG_0390.jpeg.634195a325f44e64d80e6297fbadc73e.jpegFirst steps onboard

IMG_0391.jpeg.e127b321e4e574fd93d71ac75f6e13c4.jpegIcon of the Seas docked in front of us

IMG_0393.jpeg.0e99640b7715197628ac6333a97e8fe3.jpegIMG_0394.jpeg.9f463ec33a696f6e18f70ababa293a1d.jpegIMG_0395.jpeg.497f3542bd9174fb120cf96a49925a01.jpeg

Our room is an HI. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dcu said:

Thanks so much for posting! Any info on evenings and times of comedy shows? Have a fabulous week! 

I’ll see if I can get them for you.  

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

How's Starlink working? Standard or Premium worth it?

IMG_0398.png.c5e0be478f784eae78e7c14389158216.png

It’s not great.  They definitely are rate limiting.  A lot of people who have unlimited are not happy.  I have the unlimited but mainly to keep tabs on some work projects.  I’d burn through the 150 minutes pretty quickly and my wife won’t share hers. 

6 hours ago, SliderNc said:

Our room is an HI. 

We will be sailing in an HI cabin on our next cruise. Would it be possible for you to snap a pic of what the second bed looks like when it is all made up? I am also curious to hear what your daughter thinks of that bed. Is it comfy? Is it big enough?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

First time on Joy in July out of NY. So four more months to go for me. Really looking forward to your reporting and following along. Have an awesome cruise and enjoy some champagne right away 🍾🎉🛳️🥳

Edited by Fredrik

11 hours ago, SliderNc said:

It’s not great.  They definitely are rate limiting.  A lot of people who have unlimited are not happy.  I have the unlimited but mainly to keep tabs on some work projects.  I’d burn through the 150 minutes pretty quickly and my wife won’t share hers. 

Just seems as NCL takes something good and makes it useless.

11 hours ago, SliderNc said:

Is this the UNLIMITED WI-FI PACKAGE or the UNLIMITED PREMIUM WI-FI PACKAGE??

Hello fellow Tarhill! ( From the state of NC not UNC but APP all the way ) I grew up in Charlotte and we now live in Winston-Salem.  Also, I got my Masters at 47.  It's never too late.

I just wanted to say hello and I'm enjoying your posts.

12 hours ago, SliderNc said:

Generally speaking, I use my T-Mobile mobile minutes until we are out of mobile phone range.  Then, I use the ship's internet plan.  Seems to work better from a speed point...especially with Starlink.

These are the mornings I love.  Slept in until 10AM this morning.  Woke up to calm seas and light winds which makes for a great day at sea.  IMG_0404.jpeg.14796c4d169da6a8fe3cffd57067be4e.jpeg

• Like 5

Found out that the ship didn’t spring ahead last night it only fell back an hour as they normally do so it’s really 1012 right now here on the ship.   Just a note for those who travel when we do the awesome time change thing in the US.