*LIVE* NCL Joy 3/9 - 3/16

SliderNc

16 minutes ago, joestein514 said:

I dont think that is fair, unless you are there and see what is going on.   Some kids can be well behaved and some kids are a real disturbance.

The Haven is a premium upscale area, first class really, and I would expect anyone there, including children, to behave.  Doesn't mean they can't have fun, but they can't disturb the others that are there.  If they want to be wild, that is what the kids clubs or the kids pool are for.    No different than going out to eat at a nice place and someone lets their kids run around.    My kids are now 21, but rest assure, I put the fear of god into them about their public behavior. 

This does not mean that Adults have an excuse to behave poorly or rudely.   People who treat others like servants, rather than people who are serving them are horrible.  I would never speak down to a crew member, as I try to treat others with the same respect I would like to be treated with.

Sorry, but you are on a mass market cruise ship. You should not expect any different behavior in the haven than anywhere else on the ship. If you want that go to a luxury adults only line. 

Just a general comment here about the previous post that I made.  I cruise with NCL and the Haven for the overall product.  I agree that it is family friendly area and have no problem with this.  The problem becomes when the few ruin it for the many.  For instance the Haven hot tub is no closed because one of the kids who has been using the hot tub as his personal wrestling ring hit a glass that was on the edge that should have never been there to begin with that was brought by another kid.  I blame the lack of parenting that happens more than the kids.  While I’m just as guilty of putting my nose in my book or phone I also keep glancing up for my daughter.   If more people would actually parent instead of expecting others to do it then I think this is never a problem.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Costa Maya has been a stop that I flip a coin if I’m going to get off the ship or not.  I’ve been too many times and really don’t have much I want to do there.  My wife and daughter wanted to walk around the port and shop so we did that.  I needed to make some calls back home about my car which was in the shop to authorize some repairs so it worked out.

We walked around the port for about two hours and shopped.  I bought my wife an early anniversary present when she found a pair of earrings that she wanted that I felt good about purchasing not from our family jeweler.  

We ate breakfast in the Haven that morning and we have had the same server for the most part the entire cruise.  Princess Bautista has been amazing to my daughter up in the restaurant all week and even brought her “special pancakes”.  I have to say that the crew overall has been more than amazing this cruise which I think is one of the pluses of NCL.  

Dinner was in Teppanyaki and it was by far our favorite meal.  The chef was super fun and had us singing and laughing the entire meal.  It also helps when you have a great table that also interacts with each other.  The food was good overall and if it wasn’t that didn’t matter because we had a blast.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Sorry, but you are on a mass market cruise ship. You should not expect any different behavior in the haven than anywhere else on the ship. If you want that go to a luxury adults only line. 

Well, we will have to disagree on that.  I don't think the term family should mean 'be out of control'.     I also expect children to behave in the rest of ship.   There are certain areas specifically set aside for families/kids.    Those are the area where I would expect some wildness, but even then, within reason.   

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SliderNc said:

Costa Maya has been a stop that I flip a coin if I’m going to get off the ship or not.  I’ve been too many times and really don’t have much I want to do there.  My wife and daughter wanted to walk around the port and shop so we did that.  I needed to make some calls back home about my car which was in the shop to authorize some repairs so it worked out.

We walked around the port for about two hours and shopped.  I bought my wife an early anniversary present when she found a pair of earrings that she wanted that I felt good about purchasing not from our family jeweler.  

We ate breakfast in the Haven that morning and we have had the same server for the most part the entire cruise.  Princess Bautista has been amazing to my daughter up in the restaurant all week and even brought her “special pancakes”.  I have to say that the crew overall has been more than amazing this cruise which I think is one of the pluses of NCL.  

Dinner was in Teppanyaki and it was by far our favorite meal.  The chef was super fun and had us singing and laughing the entire meal.  It also helps when you have a great table that also interacts with each other.  The food was good overall and if it wasn’t that didn’t matter because we had a blast.  

I have only been to Costa Maya once, but I really like the port.   My wife and I did the healing ceremony (i think that what it is called) - which we liked.  Then we took a taxi to The Krazy Lobster and spent the rest of the day there.   Maybe if I had been there multiple times, I wouldn't care for it as much.

Edited by joestein514

On 2/29/2024 at 5:19 PM, PatJim said:

Anyway, thank you for starting this post.  Will be following along

PS You may want to check out Secrets of the Haven thread on these boards.  It’s loooong, but well worth reading.

Hi there! We sail Haven Getaway in 6 days. I can't find Secrets of the Haven...is it called something else? 

Thanks in advance!!

On 3/15/2024 at 4:14 PM, SliderNc said:

If more people would actually parent instead of expecting others to do it then I think this is never a problem.  

This right here.  You need to yell it louder for the people in the back who aren't being the parents their kids need.  Parents need to parent & remember that their kids are watching how they act as adults for guidance.  It's not our job to raise their kids, but I will (& have) stepped up when kids have crossed the line (but in a respectful way).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Battlement said:

Hi there! We sail Haven Getaway in 6 days. I can't find Secrets of the Haven...is it called something else? 

Thanks in advance!!

It is a very long thread that started back in 2022.

I just commented on someone's post that should bring it back up toward the front of the list again.

It has tons of good info in it.

8 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

It is a very long thread that started back in 2022.

I just commented on someone's post that should bring it back up toward the front of the list again.

It has tons of good info in it.

Do you mean this one?

The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience " Secrets" REVISED for 2022

It's by SthrnGary, I think. Agreed, it's excellent! Thanks

• Like 2

Looking forward to the remainder of your report, if you are able. We are on the same itinerary next March. None of the ports are new to us, but the ship is. Our group is in club balcony suites, so the Haven info doesn't apply, but I loved the go-kart photo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 8:39 AM, detroitlions said:

I think folks hope the second bed can fit a adult in them. And I know I would not be getting much sleep in the couch bed or those beds that come down from the wall.

I've never tried one of the sofas or beds that flip down, but there are suites on the Dawn with Murphy beds and they're AMAZINGLY comfortable for an adult. Full thick mattress (not a cot). These rooms are up front with floor to ceiling windows. Highly recommend! Waking up to a full wall view is awesome.

• Like 1