Short whale watching tours in Juneau

mncbabu_yahoo

Posted (edited)

We will be in Juneau port on May 29th. Planning to rent a car from airport and visit few attractions including the glacier. Will be driving north till eagle beach and return back to downtown. Planning to stop at Auke bay ferry terminal. I am wondering if we can go for quick whale watching tour (may be one or two hours) without any pre booking. I have already booked Kenai Fjords National Park 6 hours tour in Seward. Therefore I did not book another long (3 to 4 hours) whale watching tour in Juneau. Since Juneau is famous for whale watching tours, I am tempted to go one short tour without  breaking the bank, as many 3 or 4 hours tour costs about $200 per person. Any suggestions? 

Edited by mncbabu_yahoo

On a 3-4 hour tour about 1 hr is getting to and from boat. I don't ever remember seeing walk up tours at Auke bay and unless to book the whole boat you would have to know when boat leaves. If you arrange ahead and know what time boat leaves you likely can set something up. But not likely to get much of a price drop and you have to factor time to get back to ship when turning in car.  

If you pre-arrange a tour with a company - they will tell you when you can meet them at Auke Bay.

There are a lot of companies that have "3 hour tours" which is really a 2 hour whale watching and 1 hour commute (30 minutes each way) from downtown Juneau.

I personally tell people to sign up for the 4 hour tours (3 hours on water) as the more time you have on water, the more likely you are to see whales or more whale activity.