Stomach issues on the Pursuit

trident

11 hours ago, FlossieC said:

Personally still feel uncomfortable with this. 

Our TA contacted Azamara on our behalf and was told there had been some cases but have been exaggerated on platforms and most likely caused from eating off ship so advise not do so.  There were not enough cases to report to authorities.

Definitely not caused by eating off the ship as people were still coming down with it after 4/5 sea days!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Definitely not caused by eating off the ship as people were still coming down with it after 4/5 sea days!

It maybe started off ship but now it must be on the ship unfortunately 

• Like 1

We have neither eaten nor drank anything off the ship since joining it on 20th Feb. We still have ongoing issues after more than a week.

I think to state that it's been brought on board from eating ashore is being disingenuous. it may or may not have originated in Cape Town (although we didn't eat there either) but it seems to have been an ongoing issue since New Year or thereabouts. I think part of the problem is that there is no definitive answer as to what it is because it's not being tested, if they could or would identify what it is it would be easier to treat and eradicate,

I've just got back from the medical centre and whilst there several people turned up still suffering symptoms or having a repeat episode, or newly affected (including staff).

• Like 1

Thank you for recent responses.

I did feel it was a far fetched excuse and wonder why if it has been going on since January the ship has taken more action.  Not looking forward to boarding on Saturday

• Like 1

Well, I started this by saying I had gotten the ailment but not my husband.  Now he has it.  He has not eaten off the ship!  Whatever this is, it is on the ship and they either cannot or will not tell us what is causing it.

• Like 1

Are they taking samples and actively testing? Storing for lab when in port?  Surely some port authorities won’t be too happy about this ship rolling in.  Yikes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Whitby100 said:

Are they taking samples and actively testing? Storing for lab when in port?  Surely some port authorities won’t be too happy about this ship rolling in.  Yikes.

But how are port authorities going to know if Azamara denies there is a problem?

Folks can call Azamara and ask about this and they would be surprised at the response they get. “There is no problem on board, a couple of people got sick early on but all is well now”. “It was related to people bringing it on board”

6 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

Well I am sitting here at home and have the stomach flu - norovirus like indeed. Never had this before. So something is in the air indeed and not necessarily on cruise ships only!

Indeed there is something in the air and it could be norovirus. It seems to be ‘spiking’ in the U.S., especially in the northeast. It’s very contagious, airborne as well as on surfaces, so easy to pass around and hard to avoid. Drink plenty of fluids and feel better soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

But how are port authorities going to know if Azamara denies there is a problem?

Folks can call Azamara and ask about this and they would be surprised at the response they get. “There is no problem on board, a couple of people got sick early on but all is well now”. “It was related to people bringing it on board”

I guess I am naive.  I certainly know nothing about marine health rules but after seeing what happened after the cruise industry during Covid I presumed there were reporting rules in place and that ships who failed to follow them would be sanctioned.

• Like 2

Not trying to highjack the thread, but @Grandma Cruising I see from your signature you were on the Dubai to Singapore cruise last year,  Just wondering were there any things not to miss.

If you have time can you email me @ daledsellyoak@hotmail.com. with any information.

Thanks Dale

6 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

I guess I am naive.  I certainly know nothing about marine health rules but after seeing what happened after the cruise industry during Covid I presumed there were reporting rules in place and that ships who failed to follow them would be sanctioned.

I’d suggest that you do some online research about norovirus. It’s unpleasant and can ruin a couple of vacation days, but it is in no way like Covid!
Yes, if there’s an outbreak of guests and crew that is above a certain percentage of those onboard, it will be reported, but do we know that cases have exceeded that number from the reports here? By no means. No one seems to know for sure that it’s definitely norovirus. There are plenty of other tummy bugs that appear this time of year. This could be any one or several of them.

Melissa

19 minutes ago, Melissaghoti said:

I’d suggest that you do some online research about norovirus. It’s unpleasant and can ruin a couple of vacation days, but it is in no way like Covid!
Yes, if there’s an outbreak of guests and crew that is above a certain percentage of those onboard, it will be reported, but do we know that cases have exceeded that number from the reports here? By no means. No one seems to know for sure that it’s definitely norovirus. There are plenty of other tummy bugs that appear this time of year. This could be any one or several of them.

Melissa

Thank you for your suggestion but my husband has worked in the field of infectious disease for 35 years so I am well aware of norovirus.  What I admittedly know nothing about is marine procedures.  It was, in fact, my husband who postulated at breakfast that if they tested they’d know exactly what it is.  Thus my post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Whitby100 said:

Thank you for your suggestion but my husband has worked in the field of infectious disease for 35 years so I am well aware of norovirus.  What I admittedly know nothing about is marine procedures.  

Right. Good that your husband suggested the test.  As I remember, it was negative. The other ‘tummy bug’ that there is a test for is rotavirus. Was that tested for? Unfortunately, there is no test for the most common GI viruses.
Whatever it is, ships are required to report GI issues when 3% or more of the guests and crew have gotten ill. I don’t know if that many have become ill.

Enough about upset tummy’s! It’s making me feel ill!  Hope all are recovering well.

Melissa

I'm certain that it's much more than 3%, most people we have talked to have had it and I have been told by people who are on Deck 4 that there has been a long queue outside the medical centre most days. Most people seem to have been ill for a day or 2 but several have been ill for much longer (5/6 days) and people seem only to have had diarrhea, not other symptoms such as vomiting and/or fever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I'm certain that it's much more than 3%, most people we have talked to have had it and I have been told by people who are on Deck 4 that there has been a long queue outside the medical centre most days. Most people seem to have been ill for a day or 2 but several have been ill for much longer (5/6 days) and people seem only to have had diarrhea, not other symptoms such as vomiting and/or fever.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I did email Azamara but needless to say no reply.  I do hope they are not charging for medical attention and you all get some form of compensation for spoilt holiday. 

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

That is exactly the tummy illness profile I have and I am in Toronto right now. Definitely a bug around.

I boarded in Capetown on Feb 8 and became very ill from Feb 16. I had a fever, shivering, queezy stomach and could not eat for 5 days. I collapsed when boarding the plane to fly home but my wife somehow got me on. At the same time she had GI issues and is still suffering. We will never sail with Aramara again.

12 hours ago, Melissaghoti said:

Right. Good that your husband suggested the test.  As I remember, it was negative. The other ‘tummy bug’ that there is a test for is rotavirus. Was that tested for? Unfortunately, there is no test for the most common GI viruses.
Whatever it is, ships are required to report GI issues when 3% or more of the guests and crew have gotten ill. I don’t know if that many have become ill.

Enough about upset tummy’s! It’s making me feel ill!  Hope all are recovering well.

Melissa

Yes 3% is correct and it is 2% when sailing into a port in USA.

4 hours ago, Brian111 said:

I boarded in Capetown on Feb 8 and became very ill from Feb 16. I had a fever, shivering, queezy stomach and could not eat for 5 days. I collapsed when boarding the plane to fly home but my wife somehow got me on. At the same time she had GI issues and is still suffering. We will never sail with Aramara again.

Really don't think it's Azamara's fault, the ship is being cleaned continuously, anyone with GI issues who reports to the medical department is being quarantined, we are being urged to wash our hands, pool is closed, all food is served. Of course the unknown is how many people had issues and haven't seen the doctor, so continued to walk around the ship. Also how many were not careful about hand washing - I've seen people walk out of the toilets without washing their hands.

Yes the medical consultation and treatment is free and you get a days future cruise credit for every day quarantined.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2024 at 9:30 AM, FlossieC said:

We are due to board on the 9th March in Gran Canaria so this a little worrying.

Be grateful for any further updates please

Get some Imodium and bring it onboatd

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Really don't think it's Azamara's fault, the ship is being cleaned continuously, anyone with GI issues who reports to the medical department is being quarantined, we are being urged to wash our hands, pool is closed, all food is served. Of course the unknown is how many people had issues and haven't seen the doctor, so continued to walk around the ship. Also how many were not careful about hand washing - I've seen people walk out of the toilets without washing their hands.

Yes the medical consultation and treatment is free and you get a days future cruise credit for every day quarantined.

Couldn’t agree more !

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 1:50 PM, Brian111 said:

Better eliminate all the lines that had problems on the same route- NCL, Cunard, MSC ARE THE ONES I know of - could be more.  Regent voyager in South America had issues as well.  

• Like 1