Stomach issues on the Pursuit

trident

We were on the cruise from CT to Canaries, caught bug on the 25th March 

, took 8 days to clear, using antibiotics. No antiseptic wipes on tables, nobody wiping down door handles. Cruise company definitely playing down the number of people with this bug, many didn’t attend surgery as they didn’t want to be isolated. Of the people we met on board, 75% had suffered from the disease. Azamara isolate people for 24hrs then ask is they’re okay over the phone, most say yes fine now just to get out of their rooms. 

2 hours ago, Transparent said:

We were on the cruise from CT to Canaries, caught bug on the 25th March 

, took 8 days to clear, using antibiotics. No antiseptic wipes on tables, nobody wiping down door handles. Cruise company definitely playing down the number of people with this bug, many didn’t attend surgery as they didn’t want to be isolated. Of the people we met on board, 75% had suffered from the disease. Azamara isolate people for 24hrs then ask is they’re okay over the phone, most say yes fine now just to get out of their rooms. 

Quite agree about likely numbers not reporting it and that a high number of people suffered from it. On the other hand most people we spoke to said they were fine after 24 hours, and that was certainly our experience. A few like you were poorly for longer, but seemed to be in the minority. I was OK, my husband had it for a few hours, but immodium stopped it - no antibiotics. He was quarantined for the last day.

I wonder if there were 2 separate things - SA water causing a little bit of a GI upset, and some sort of virus causing longer illness and needing antibiotics to clear it. 
Interesting to hear that now the bottled water has been changed, everything seems to be back to normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Quite agree about likely numbers not reporting it and that a high number of people suffered from it. On the other hand most people we spoke to said they were fine after 24 hours, and that was certainly our experience. A few like you were poorly for longer, but seemed to be in the minority. I was OK, my husband had it for a few hours, but immodium stopped it - no antibiotics. He was quarantined for the last day.

I wonder if there were 2 separate things - SA water causing a little bit of a GI upset, and some sort of virus causing longer illness and needing antibiotics to clear it. 
Interesting to hear that now the bottled water has been changed, everything seems to be back to normal.

Antibiotics have no effect on Viruses so it’s doubtful that the problem was viral. If it is related to the bottled water it’s possibly coliform bacteria due to poor quality processes in the water bottling plant.

Another possibility is that minerals within the water are causing a mild reaction in some people.

Either way it would be impossible for the ship to test the water onboard to ascertain the cause.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Prosecco girl said:

We disembarked today and there are still stomach issues. 

Boarded today pool open but buffet served.  Perhaps legacy precaution but Captain just made health announcement about washing hands for 20 secs and the “Insider” front page carries an “Important Notice”

image.thumb.jpeg.fc5f1bdc828a1825927b58e53263a4ea.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, royallondon said:

Boarded today pool open but buffet served.  Perhaps legacy precaution but Captain just made health announcement about washing hands for 20 secs and the “Insider” front page carries an “Important Notice”

image.thumb.jpeg.fc5f1bdc828a1825927b58e53263a4ea.jpeg

Buffet is always served for the first 24 hours of any cruise

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Brian111 said:

I Googled Aramara compensation The Times and the article came up without any paywall issues

Well, well, just read this, 20 minutes ago had a reply from David Molloy, I can say it was totally underwhelming. I had complained about the 2 trips, Cape Town -Gran Canaria-Lisbon on which we were both very poorly with gastric troubles. I had previously commented how good the B2B down from Barcelona had been before Christmas. Needless to say our 6 winter cruises for winter 24/25 will be on competitors. 

• Like 3

On 3/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, dive4pam said:

Better eliminate all the lines that had problems on the same route- NCL, Cunard, MSC ARE THE ONES I know of - could be more.  Regent voyager in South America had issues as well.  

That Regent voyage was Seven Seas Voyager. It had sailed from Cape Town to Rio, and had GI precautions in place when we boarded in Rio. They were withdrawn after about a week sailing around South America.