Stomach issues on the Pursuit

trident

1 hour ago, dive4pam said:

Better eliminate all the lines that had problems on the same route- NCL, Cunard, MSC ARE THE ONES I know of - could be more.  Regent voyager in South America had issues as well.  

That was my thought about that post. 

This is definitely not isolated on Azamara and to put all the blame on them is misdirected. 

There needs to be a concerted effort (CDC? WHO?) to investigate what is happening. 

2 hours ago, dive4pam said:

Better eliminate all the lines that had problems on the same route- NCL, Cunard, MSC ARE THE ONES I know of - could be more.  Regent voyager in South America had issues as well.  

True, I know of someone (friend of a friend) who's ship also had these type health problems in that area last month, not sure of line, but definitely not Azamara, I believe they may even have been refused entry at 1 port.

12 minutes ago, lee8553 said:

True, I know of someone (friend of a friend) who's ship also had these type health problems in that area last month, not sure of line, but definitely not Azamara, I believe they may even have been refused entry at 1 port.

That would be NCL dawn - refused entry for 2 days in Mauritius - it was an embarkation point so it inconvenienced people debarking - missed flights, hotels etc. as well as those preparing to embark. 

7 hours ago, ECCruise said:

That was my thought about that post. 

This is definitely not isolated on Azamara and to put all the blame on them is misdirected. 

There needs to be a concerted effort (CDC? WHO?) to investigate what is happening. 

The first thing that Azamara has to do is admit that there is/was a problem rather that trying to cover it up. The company seems to be in (public) denial, so blaming them is not misdirected. If you have been on the receiving end of this problem (I have) and had your expensive and anticipated cruise spoilt by "the bug" then one's opinion might be different. None of us go on holiday to not eat the fine food and spend several days confined to a cabin,  even if it is for "the common good".

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BarnacleBil said:

The first thing that Azamara has to do is admit that there is/was a problem rather that trying to cover it up. The company seems to be in (public) denial, so blaming them is not misdirected. If you have been on the receiving end of this problem (I have) and had your expensive and anticipated cruise spoilt by "the bug" then one's opinion might be different. None of us go on holiday to not eat the fine food and spend several days confined to a cabin,  even if it is for "the common good".

I think closing pools, serving all food, offering medical care is a quite obvious admission of the problem. Maybe not the admission of guilt that you seen to seek, perhaps. 

Friends just disembarked Pursuit, were impacted personally but yet said the complaining and whining was extraordinary. 

If it is like virtually all illnesses of this type, the blame almost assuredly goes to poor hygiene. On Quest as we speak and the horrible hygiene is breathtaking. Almost no sanitizing of gym equipment before or after use. Strolls right past the hand sanitizers. Neglecting hand washing in the rest rooms. All of which I have witnessed in just the last 3 hours. This is how illnesses spread and there is little Azamara or any cruise line can do to teach these clowns how to be adults. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BarnacleBil said:

Were you sick onboard the Pursuit?  Did you see the onboard medical team? Were you quarantined? If you were quarantined, did Azamara compensate you?

On our January 3 cruise our friend was quarantined for 24 hours which caused him to miss an Azamara excursion.  His wife was not quarantined, but opted to not go on the excursion alone.  Azamara refunded the cost of the excursion.  He (and only he) was also given a future cruise credit for the two days he was confined to his cabin.  (Pretty generous considering it was actually only two half days.)  He also had extensive testing (even his poop) and all came back negative.

2 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Were you sick onboard the Pursuit?  Did you see the onboard medical team? Were you quarantined? If you were quarantined, did Azamara compensate you?

On our January 3 cruise our friend was quarantined for 24 hours which caused him to miss an Azamara excursion.  His wife was not quarantined, but opted to not go on the excursion alone.  Azamara refunded the cost of the excursion.  He (and only he) was also given a future cruise credit for the two days he was confined to his cabin.  (Pretty generous considering it was actually only two half days.)  He also had extensive testing (even his poop) and all came back negative.

I wonder why people who get sick and have to be quarantined are receiving compensation. Is Azamara accepting that this illness is its fault? Guests on other cruise lines are being quarantined for five days because of COVID but are not getting any compensation. 

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I wonder why people who get sick and have to be quarantined are receiving compensation. Is Azamara accepting that this illness is its fault? Guests on other cruise lines are being quarantined for five days because of COVID but are not getting any compensation. 

I was quarantined with Covid for 6 days during our Azamara cruise last fall. Covid was definitely not the ship’s fault, but I received future cruise credit for the days I was quarantined.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

I was quarantined with Covid for 6 days during our Azamara cruise last fall. Covid was definitely not the ship’s fault, but I received future cruise credit for the days I was quarantined.

Thanks for the information. 

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for the information. 

I understand that Azamara has found the culprit for all this sickness. They picked up a supply of bottled water in the Johannesburg port and as of this past weekend they disposed of all bottled water. This is an unlikely source that was overlooked because bottled water is supposed to be free of all impurities, but this is good news.

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, tyler6597 said:

I understand that Azamara has found the culprit for all this sickness. They picked up a supply of bottled water in the Johannesburg port and as of this past weekend they disposed of all bottled water. This is an unlikely source that was overlooked because bottled water is supposed to be free of all impurities, but this is good news.

Tyler

Are you sure you haven’t got spoof information given the port you mentioned 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Are you sure you haven’t got spoof information given the port you mentioned 

image.thumb.jpeg.f3d6c4d633e2c2636697155996f67975.jpegThe brand currently being distributed onboard Pursuit

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, govanguy said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f3d6c4d633e2c2636697155996f67975.jpegThe brand currently being distributed onboard Pursuit

Definitely not the two brands we had on Pursuit, they were both South African brands.

If it was the water, it must have only been some of the bottles. I drank lots of both brands and had no problems.

• Like 4

Pool and hot tubs are open, breakfast in buffet from today (Tuesday) is self serve, all bottles of the S African and water from other African countries taken out of room and replaced with Spanish variety. Not sure about laundry, two days ago we left our laundry with a very efficient person in the laundry and she had it returned to us the same day, all nicely cleaned. The Captain has not made any health announcements, ie wash your hands since the day we boarded so with a bit of luck things are returning to normal. The Captain and his senior officers were out greeting guests before last nights show which is a good sign. We have met guests who were on the previous cruise from Africa and are still suffering unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nooosey said:

Pool and hot tubs are open, breakfast in buffet from today (Tuesday) is self serve, all bottles of the S African and water from other African countries taken out of room and replaced with Spanish variety. Not sure about laundry, two days ago we left our laundry with a very efficient person in the laundry and she had it returned to us the same day, all nicely cleaned. The Captain has not made any health announcements, ie wash your hands since the day we boarded so with a bit of luck things are returning to normal. The Captain and his senior officers were out greeting guests before last nights show which is a good sign. We have met guests who were on the previous cruise from Africa and are still suffering unfortunately.

Good to hear everything’s back to normal. I wonder how long they’ve know that the water was the issue!

10 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Good to hear everything’s back to normal. I wonder how long they’ve know that the water was the issue!

Apparently water is oft a problem on the cruises in Africa and India. Someone mentioned that the bottled water on those areas is not always purified but just plain tap water. The recommendation was to drink sparkling water instead.

6 hours ago, nooosey said:

Let's hope the guests who are still suffering recover soon but also follow strict hygiene practices.

B to B guests could potentially keep this virus moving with the ship.

• Like 3

We are still onboard.  Things are mostly back to normal. All water is now from Spain.  Our friend onboard has been suffering for two weeks and the doctor finally gave her antibiotics and she is was better in 24 hours.

The pool is open and White Nights will be on deck rather than in the cafe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trident said:

We are still onboard.  Things are mostly back to normal. All water is now from Spain.  Our friend onboard has been suffering for two weeks and the doctor finally gave her antibiotics and she is was better in 24 hours.

The pool is open and White Nights will be on deck rather than in the cafe.

Thank you for letting us know how things are on board 

On 3/10/2024 at 6:06 PM, travelberlin said:

I think one of the reasons they compensate is it’s good financially for them.  It’s like a coupon from a restaurant for a discount on a future meal.  It encourages you to rebook and they make money off that next trip.  It also makes the customer happy - in this case compensated. 

• Like 3

On 3/12/2024 at 1:22 PM, travelberlin said:

Apparently water is oft a problem on the cruises in Africa and India. Someone mentioned that the bottled water on those areas is not always purified but just plain tap water. The recommendation was to drink sparkling water instead.

Cape Town has some of the best quality tap water in the world.  They are in the top 1 so I doubt using tap water for bottled water would be the issue here?

8 hours ago, Werangels said:

Cape Town has some of the best quality tap water in the world.  They are in the top 1 so I doubt using tap water for bottled water would be the issue here?

Our hotel in Cape Town told us it was not safe to drink the tap water!

• Like 1