South America Antarctica Cruise

Posted (edited)

Hi Folks 

Put a deposit down on a 22 day South America Antarctic cruise with HAL, late January 2025.  BA to Santiago.

Just wondering if Aussies on the forum might have done this cruise; and any tips re flying to the cruise, excursions before, during and after, plus any other tips.

Edited by Galesa
Additional info

Just completed this cruise, it was great. Check out the thread for 29 Jan 2024.

Also make sure you have your chilean visa (90 days) valid for when you will be there. Arrange it in December 2024.

Make sure you arrive at least a day or so prior to the cruise and leave at least a day after the cruise .

Note San Antonio  is around 2 hours from Santiago.

Bring snow gear, beanie, gloves etc and nicge thick coat with wearing layers under it, for all the scenic cruising out on deck and the Falklands. This year was much warmer ( than 10 years ago) but you still needed it, even if I didn't  end up using my skins under jeans.

The cold kills batteries, so keep your phone and or camera warm when possible and maybe have spare batteries for the camera. Have a good pair of binoculars as well.

There are lots of tender ports, so book your shorex's early, especially if with HAL. And if private, allow at least 1 hour later start and arrive 1 hour earlier back.

• Like 4

If you can spare it allow days prior and post cruise to explore the cities, countryside.

If going to Iguazzu, ensure you get to the Brazilian side, it is the better side.

Don't worry about getting pesos in either country, use USD when you can't use your international credit card (one with no international fees) or debit card using your bank to convert.

Book the Falklands excursion now if you can, Patrick  Watts is a good private tour to Volunteer Point ( King, Gentoo and Magellanic) , but there are others and other locations for Penguin, just not all 3 types.

• Like 1

Thanks heaps Mic. Plan at this early stage is to fly to Santiago with a straight return (from Sydney). Stay maybe 2 days before heading to BA. Looking to do 2 nights Iguazu before joining cruise. I did think about going from Santiago to Iguazu then Iguazu to BA but there's not many flights from Santiago.

5 minutes ago, Galesa said:

Thanks heaps Mic. Plan at this early stage is to fly to Santiago with a straight return (from Sydney). Stay maybe 2 days before heading to BA. Looking to do 2 nights Iguazu before joining cruise. I did think about going from Santiago to Iguazu then Iguazu to BA but there's not many flights from Santiago.

That plan sounds fine, there are many more flights to Iguazzu from BA. You will need a Brazilian visa as well.

Make sure you use links via the smartraveller site so it is the official government sites and not 3rd parties charging a service fee or even scam sites.

You might need to consider three nights at Iguazu. One day to travel there and one day to do each of the Argentinian and Brazilian sides. I think it would be a bit rushed to both sides on the same day.

@Galesa get your flights booked as soon as possible. We flew Qantas to Santiago, then KLM to Buenos Aires. Then Qantas Santiago to Sydney. All flights departed during the day. 

Others on our cruise flew Latam which left after midnight and stopped in Auckland. They had no choice as Qantas was fully booked. 

• Like 2

In Puerto Madryn we went on a private excursion to El Pedral to see the penguins. They have a range of vehicles, I think we had 10 in our minibus. Join your roll call and someone may already have room or email and ask to be added to a tour. From memory it was USD120 per person paid in cash on the day which included lunch with drinks. It was a warm day and you walk a couple of Km to get to the beach (it is a flat and easy walk) so wear a hat and sunscreen. Email is reservas@Pedral.com.ar

For Stanley definitely do Volunteer Point as Mic suggests. We did it in 2014, and it was a bumpy ride in a 4WD to get there but it is so worth it. Last month we did a private tour to Bertha's Beach and other locations around the Falklands. While it was interesting it was nowhere near as good as Volunteer Point. Don't wait to book as they sell out quickly. 

Montevideo we walked off the ship into the town, saw the cathedral and market stalls. It was just a leg stretch really as we had been there before.  In 2014 we did a private tour to a winery and a drive around city tour which was a great day, it was arranged by someone on the roll call so I don't have the details.

• Like 2

Thanks Rosie. Great tips. Have already checked Qantas and dates in February for our return dates aren't available yet. But yes, a stopover in Auckland would be much less desirable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I did this cruise last December.

Flights:  I used Latam. They do a direct non stop Melbourne to Santiago (also from Sydney). For the return I also used Latam, from Buenos Aires to Santiago, short transfer time, then Santiago to Melbourne direct. It's a good airline to use and was noticeably cheaper than Qantas.  Also note there are two international airports in Buenos Aires. One is right in the city, the other is miles away in the country, so longer and more expensive to get to.  Latam flew from the city one, code AEP, which was much more convenient.

Getting to San Antonio port. It is 100 kms from Santiago. I did a tour from Santiago via the Casablanca Valley (wine tasting and lunch at a winery) that ended at San Antonio port, with a company called Puerto San Antonio Tours.

Iguazu Falls. Allow at least two overnight stays, so you can see the falls from both the Argentine and Brazilian sides. Also because the domestic flight carriers are renowned to delays and cancellations, so you want a little time up your sleeve.  Don't fall for the very expensive packages. You can do it yourself easily. Book flights. Book accommodation with a place that offers transfers from the airport, and they will also arrange to get you to the falls. Be aware that it is in a Yellow Fever designated area, and you won't get back into Australia unless you have been vaccinated.

The best shore excursions are from Puerto Montt - unbelievable scenery in the Lakeland region, Ushuaia and the Falklands. I went on the Volunteer Point penguin excursion - very worthwhile. The company I went with is Adventure Falklands, which I recommend. Their tour is identical to the ship's one, but they charge literally half as much.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Latam. They use the same 787 Dreamliner aircraft as Qantas, and I thought their free entertainment was fine. They even offered free wifi on the BA to Santiago leg.  The food was OK for airline food in economy, and the service was efficient and friendly.

Many of the direct flights with Qantas are actually code shared with Latam on that route, so you pay the Qantas fare but you get the Latam aircraft.

• Like 1

We flew Qantas/Latam ticket to BA via Santiago.  Arriving in Santiago on a Latam flight we were able to use the Business Class Lounge.  On the return flight, we departed Santiago on Qantas after a five hour stopover.  We  had difficulty using the Business Class Lounge  because we would be flying Qantas.  I eventually talked my way in because they weren't busy being Christmas Day. 

• Like 1

Interesting re YF jab. When discussing our upcoming trip to Victoria Falls with my GP, he advised there were side effect risks for me at 71 with the YF vaccine.

11 minutes ago, Galesa said:

Interesting re YF jab. When discussing our upcoming trip to Victoria Falls with my GP, he advised there were side effect risks for me at 71 with the YF vaccine.

YF jab is not really recommended for those over 70. We did this trip in 2019, travelled to Iguazu and did the falls on both sides, staying in Iguazu. We did not have YF vaccinations. Read up on the rules as from what I can see you only need to be vaccinated if you have been in a Yellow Fever area six days before arriving and have stayed overnight or longer. We had no problems on return to Australia.

• Like 1

YesI believe that is true. If you visit Iguazu area last and fly home to Australia within six days, you have to have a vaccination certificate or they may put you in quarantine.

Further to my post on YF vaccination. It appears all of Brazil and Argentina are listed as YF countries. So, even if we didn't do the falls we still need the jab.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Galesa said:

It appears all of Brazil and Argentina are listed as YF countries.

No I think that is not correct for Argentina - it is only for Misiones Province, which is where Iguazu Falls is. Not for Buenos Aires.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

I enjoyed Latam. They use the same 787 Dreamliner aircraft as Qantas, and I thought their free entertainment was fine. They even offered free wifi on the BA to Santiago leg.  The food was OK for airline food in economy, and the service was efficient and friendly.

Many of the direct flights with Qantas are actually code shared with Latam on that route, so you pay the Qantas fare but you get the Latam aircraft.

Sil flew Qantas to Santiago and Latam (Qantas code share) back, she said it was a markedly different flight in terms of service throughout the flight and the entertainment on the screens.

1 minute ago, cruiser3775 said:

No I think that is not correct for Argentina - it is only for Misiones Province, which is where Iguazu Falls is. Not for Buenos Aires.

Correct

Ok everyone. Thanks heaps. Very informative.

So if we go to Iguazu for 3 days. Return to BA, join the cruise and 20 odd days later depart from Santiago we should be OK to return without quarantine?

• Like 2

Forgte the Singlet and shorts. Take some good Aussie Bushmans with DEET. Wear light coloured shirt with high neck and long sleeves.

For the cruise you need winter clothes, hat, gloves, scarf etc.

• Like 2