Celebrity is not more expensive

zitsky

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

I’ve always thought it was pretty gross to mock other’s misfortunes. For Haiti’s citizens, it’s a horrific time.

No one gets a choice in where they are born.  I was fortunate to be raised in a safe environment in a family which prioritized my wellbeing and education. I’ve always had easy access to excellent medical care. Other human beings do not have this through no fault of their own.

I was questioning Celebrity's decision to call on the port when US State Department says to get out.

When there is violence in the streets that is not my idea of a vacation.

Who do you trust?  The US State Department or Celebrity?

Edited by NMTraveller

As I understand the music cruise business, a promoter charters the ship and makes most of the decisions, including ports visited. Chances are that the charter price would be less if the port is the cruise line’s private island because all the money guests spend there goes to the line.  While I am sad about the situations of the people of Haiti, I wouldn’t go there!  But, as I have said, most on a music cruise never leave the ship.

1 minute ago, Dolebludger said:

As I understand the music cruise business, a promoter charters the ship and makes most of the decisions, including ports visited. Chances are that the charter price would be less if the port is the cruise line’s private island because all the money guests spend there goes to the line.  While I am sad about the situations of the people of Haiti, I wouldn’t go there!  But, as I have said, most on a music cruise never leave the ship.

Not speaking from any specific knowledge but just some limited experience. I don't think most of these promoters book an entire ship but block out cabins and areas on the ship for their event ie you can find you are on a cruise which has a group on board... everything from hobbyists to musicians, etc.  We 'inadvertently' booked a music cruise on Gran Princess in 2011 (wife met Davy Jones on the beach) but otherwise the event did not impact the cruise.

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I will have to try a music cruise sometime.  Sounds like fun.

Yes, the music cruise we took four times was the “Moody Blues Cruise”, which is now the “On the Blues Cruise” since the Moody Blues are no longer a band. For these, the entire ship is chartered, I believe. It is a fun experience. For some reason, it is now chartering the NCL Pearl, and we just don’t like that ship. The last Moody Blues Cruise was on the X Eclipse and that was also a good shipboard experience.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 6:54 AM, Ellaleah said:

I am not surprised that Celebrity is not more than Regent, but as I understand it Regent is more of a luxury line.  Try comparing it to Princess, Holland, or NCL.  As a solo traveler I can tell you that Celebrity is outrageous!  In most cases if a solo was to book the AI option, which is now just tips and drinks, the price doubles or more than doubles and is way more than just adding the drink pkg and tips.  They have pretty much priced themselves out of that market and created a lot of bad will along the way!  Celebrity does not provide good value!

Making general statements like that really isn't accurate, because it all depends on where and when you book, and what you spend on board. My first 5 X cruises in Solstice cost an average of $300, and a week on Apex cost $650 or so. Even last November/December I booked Mexico cruises on X for $300 or so, although for one I had to book a no-show second guest, to get around the price discrimination. I booked Ascent in January and Beyond next November for around $900, both with a solo discount--you just have to know when and where to book and grab deals when you see them. Next January I have Silhouette booked for $60/nt for a solo cabin. I find similar deals on other lines, like $100/nt for Azamara in Europe and the Caribbean solo, and last month I had a deluxe suite on HAL for $50/nt to Mexico under their standby program. As a solo cruiser, I also have complete control of onboard spending, so I skip packages, I buy e-sim passes for data in every port, and skip most excursions. I also had my first 5 X cruises paid for by buying RCL at $40 to get the OBC, and then selling at $120. No cruise line is perfect, they all have pluses and minuses, as do all ships and all destinations, which is why I'm agnostic about lines--I just returned from a Carnival cruise and last week booked 5 cruises on Quantum of the Seas to Mexico, since the Quantum class reminds me of Edge-class, but without the offensive-to-me closing of so much public space by the Retreat. 

11 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Making general statements like that really isn't accurate, because it all depends on where and when you book, and what you spend on board. My first 5 X cruises in Solstice cost an average of $300, and a week on Apex cost $650 or so. Even last November/December I booked Mexico cruises on X for $300 or so, although for one I had to book a no-show second guest, to get around the price discrimination. I booked Ascent in January and Beyond next November for around $900, both with a solo discount--you just have to know when and where to book and grab deals when you see them. Next January I have Silhouette booked for $60/nt for a solo cabin. I find similar deals on other lines, like $100/nt for Azamara in Europe and the Caribbean solo, and last month I had a deluxe suite on HAL for $50/nt to Mexico under their standby program. As a solo cruiser, I also have complete control of onboard spending, so I skip packages, I buy e-sim passes for data in every port, and skip most excursions. I also had my first 5 X cruises paid for by buying RCL at $40 to get the OBC, and then selling at $120. No cruise line is perfect, they all have pluses and minuses, as do all ships and all destinations, which is why I'm agnostic about lines--I just returned from a Carnival cruise and last week booked 5 cruises on Quantum of the Seas to Mexico, since the Quantum class reminds me of Edge-class, but without the offensive-to-me closing of so much public space by the Retreat. 

Are you including Port & Taxes? If you are, please remove your name and other ID info and post an invoice. How many cruises and what lines do you cruise on? 

I find those rates as UNBELIEVABLE! JMHO and based on experience of cruising.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rj59 said:

It appears from this post that the most important aspect to you for cruising is price regardless of what you get.  Would you say that's accurate?  You can always find cheap cabins on ships that don't sell because an empty cabin is lost revenue forever. 

Good for you getting the cheap prices.  Many others have different priorities though and are willing to pay based upon value.  Cheapest is not always the best value.

Also, if a comparison is Celebrity vs Regent, only the price of at least a SS in the Retreat should be considered to get even close to Regents inclusions and quality. Otherwise, we have an “apples to oranges”comparison. 

How many of you that have read the price of those cruises have experienced those low prices on any Cruise Line since the Covid Restart?

I have cruised RCI, X, MSC, NCL & Princess last year and this year and have never seen those prices. Have you? 

24 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Here is one example of X Silly Jan 2025.

SS_20240309_171434.jpg

Ahh OK so they are booze cruises from FLL, that explains it.  No thx!

34 minutes ago, Liao said:

Ahh OK so they are booze cruises from FLL, that explains it.  No thx!

Don't understand your answer.

Booze cruise on Celebrity?

BC from FLL?

LOL

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Don't understand your answer.

Booze cruise on Celebrity?

BC from FLL?

LOL

Nope. It's the cheap, short cruises that attract the booze cruize patrons with very little disposable income that can't usually sail a much longer cruise or have the available vacation time..That's why I prefer 14 night cruises.  A different type of patron.  Short Carnival cruises are a good example also. 

Nothing wrong with that if it's what people want.  Just not for my pasture.

15 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Nope. It's the cheap, short cruises that attract the booze cruize patrons with very little disposable income that can't usually sail a much longer cruise or have the available vacation time..That's why I prefer 14 night cruises.  A different type of patron.  Short Carnival cruises are a good example also. 

Nothing wrong with that if it's what people want.  Just not for my pasture.

I did a B2B in Dec. I combined a 5 night & 4 night, on Summit.  All of my previous cruises have been 12 days+ and all of my future cruises will now always be 12 days+.  Yes it was Celebrity, yes it was Summit, lovely ship, very good food, always amazing crew...and then the partiers, just was not my thing, at all!

3 hours ago, rj59 said:

image.thumb.png.a359b3ec1b502e457275646dea57a9d3.pngimage.thumb.png.2f7120d7cd12d55c99e3c10a142d0129.png

It’s most definitely accurate to state that Celebrity is OUTRAGEOUS when it comes to solos and even more so should they want the drinks and Wi-Fi.  I believe that Celebrity created the solo balconies on their newer ship as an accommodation for solos, but as soon as they were put out, they raised the prices to more for a solo in these cabins than if a solo booked a regular double balcony for 1!

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I was questioning Celebrity's decision to call on the port when US State Department says to get out.

When there is violence in the streets that is not my idea of a vacation.

Who do you trust?  The US State Department or Celebrity?

When was the last time your government helped you?  I’ll go with Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

When was the last time your government helped you?  I’ll go with Celebrity.

🙂 Celebrity has a monetary interest.  The government has a political interest.  I am not sure what the governments political interest would be in misclassifying the risk of travelling to Haiti?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

🙂 Celebrity has a monetary interest.  The government has a political interest.  I am not sure what the governments political interest would be in misclassifying the risk of travelling to Haiti?

Celebrity will make money no matter what they port they stop at. 

3 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

It’s most definitely accurate to state that Celebrity is OUTRAGEOUS when it comes to solos and even more so should they want the drinks and Wi-Fi.  I believe that Celebrity created the solo balconies on their newer ship as an accommodation for solos, but as soon as they were put out, they raised the prices to more for a solo in these cabins than if a solo booked a regular double balcony for 1!

Though what is considered OUTRAGEOUS to one, may not be to another.