Live from EJ1 - Miami to Barbados 8/3 (or 3/8 if you insist) >

Noggins

52 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

But apparently there are not there anymore… the ones that seem to be there from Noggins picture, do not look like new books that have been put there from the management. I would prefer to have a central place where books are kept for everyone. I am not asking for the Queen Marys library but something like you find at the MSC Yacht Club.

It does seem odd that they would buy a few thousand books then let guests have a choice of, maybe, 4 (half are in a foreign language). Or perhaps the idea was to get guests fraternising and popping in and out of each others rooms? (Oh dear, maybe Maggie was after a sight of my books rather than my good looks.....😬)

• Haha 4

Last night....

We're falling into something of a routine with champers at sunset at the outside aft bar on 14. A very pleasant spot with enthusiastic bar staff.

The pre dinner drinks in the atrium bar is proving slightly less successful on account of the seating being a case of style over function. There's seating for about 12 people when a different seating set up could seat, maybe, 30. There are so many bars you'd think you were spoilt for choice but several outside bars close and we need to find a new location tonight.

Dinner was in Fil Rouge and was very successful. There was more space between the tables where we were seated so no conversation possibilities. Great service and a difficult choice come dessert which could only be resolved in one way....IMG_20240311_213501859.thumb.jpg.7f76fa80a4ce07623c45e7a3102b8643.jpg

Less successful was the late show which we actually managed to make. Comedy can be very hit and miss but from the flat audience response throughout we were not the only ones to think it was, well, terrible. 

Today we have arrived at Virgin Gorda - new to us. We've had a successful breakfast at Fil Rouge (items came as ordered and the only adjustment necessary was to put the main course items on one plate rather than two) and we're ready to go off and explore.

Adrian 

• Like 4

I took a ship's tour at Virgin Gorda for 95 euros and found it very enjoyable.  Two pleasant and very informative islanders (think Bob Marley) took us in the small open and very colorful Copper Mine bus for a complete circle of the island pointing out high level resorts and the locations of the homes of famous people like Richard Branson and Larry Page.  At the Top of the Baths restaurant we were guided down to the best route to traverse the Boulders. This was followed by some beach time.  It was a bit strenuous for some, but I felt that I received an excellent experience.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Noggins said:

It does seem odd that they would buy a few thousand books then let guests have a choice of, maybe, 4 (half are in a foreign language). Or perhaps the idea was to get guests fraternising and popping in and out of each others rooms? (Oh dear, maybe Maggie was after a sight of my books rather than my good looks.....😬)

Why could they not dedicate a back corner of the Explora Lounge to a small library or shared book area? Would not take a lot of effort to address the lack of a proper library space vs just having books available in staterooms.

Edited by joseph123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

I took a ship's tour at Virgin Gorda for 95 euros and found it very enjoyable.  Two pleasant and very informative islanders (think Bob Marley) took us in the small open and very colorful Copper Mine bus for a complete circle of the island pointing out high level resorts and the locations of the homes of famous people like Richard Branson and Larry Page.  At the Top of the Baths restaurant we were guided down to the best route to traverse the Boulders. This was followed by some beach time.  It was a bit strenuous for some, but I felt that I received an excellent experience.  

Well done, good result, WH.

We dutifully attended the destination lecture yesterday and after 40 minutes off topic we got 5 minutes worth of information on VG. Unfortunately it did not prepare the DIYer well. In fact it made me wonder whether the lecturer had ever visited the island. Of course, I can only blame myself for lack of advance research. More positively we got some exercise, paddled along an OK beach and got the right to say, airily, in appropriate future conversations 'oh yes, we've been to Virgin Gorda'.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Well done, good result, WH.

We dutifully attended the destination lecture yesterday and after 40 minutes off topic we got 5 minutes worth of information on VG. Unfortunately it did not prepare the DIYer well. In fact it made me wonder whether the lecturer had ever visited the island. Of course, I can only blame myself for lack of advance research. More positively we got some exercise, paddled along an OK beach and got the right to say, airily, in appropriate future conversations 'oh yes, we've been to Virgin Gorda'.....

Our lecturer got confused and talked about Virgin Gouda.

The whole thing was kinda' cheesy and not particularly informative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

29 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Our lecturer got confused and talked about Virgin Gouda.

The whole thing was kinda' cheesy and not particularly informative.

Now, listen, the quality of the humour round here is poor enough without contributions like that. 😎

• Like 1

We took a ships excursion in Virgin Gorda. It was a 4 hour beach visit at Spring Bay, which is a quiet version of the more famous Baths Park. The beach was lovely. They had set up loungers and umbrellas on the beach and served beer and rum punch along with a few local snacks.

It was a nice day. But at 130 euros each it was a ridiculous price. It was a 10 minute bus ride each way that would have cost $10 in a taxi. We took it because we have some OBC to use. But if I had paid cash I would have felt ripped off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've been getting a gift every evening. This is unexpected and appreciated. 

Last night's gift was this elegant notebook.

IMG_20240312_190205894.thumb.jpg.0f35cb4e33c263d00ffa259f27ad457d.jpg

IMG_20240312_190216853.thumb.jpg.9d5f88c6ee1511b249f693c7d81c9ff1.jpg

I was brought up to appreciate gifts and to always say thank you.

But I'm bound to ask - who, in 2024, does writing? In a notebook? Now, I'm a child of the 50's and I know what a pen is but EJ's target market surely only know of keyboards for the purpose of writing!

Sad to say the gifts have not been improving. The tote bag was probably the best. Here is tonight's 'gift'... 

IMG_20240312_190243597.thumb.jpg.8a6ba3cbfae2b537d70df29c5db3f6ef.jpg

But we've had a wonderful sunset and the pours in the bar on 14 extra generous. So they give and they take. The way of the world...

IMG_20240312_185555340.thumb.jpg.7b540acd8c74a43ff4f6aabc678439cb.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CJANDH said:

We took a ships excursion in Virgin Gorda. It was a 4 hour beach visit at Spring Bay, which is a quiet version of the more famous Baths Park. The beach was lovely. They had set up loungers and umbrellas on the beach and served beer and rum punch along with a few local snacks.

It was a nice day. But at 130 euros each it was a ridiculous price. It was a 10 minute bus ride each way that would have cost $10 in a taxi. We took it because we have some OBC to use. But if I had paid cash I would have felt ripped off.

Disappointing but plays to my theory that the OBC largesse these days - funded by the fare / commission structure - means the lines have to devalue those OBC dollars and the only mechanism they have is crazy excursion / wine charges.

When we booked Moët Chandon champagne was advertised as standard and we were really looking forward to it, but it looks like it has been replaced, which would suggest a cost cutting strategy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, English Tim said:

When we booked Moët Chandon champagne was advertised as standard and we were really looking forward to it, but it looks like it has been replaced, which would suggest a cost cutting strategy.

Just to pass on what others have reported here - apparently Moet couldn't make enough to keep up with onboard consumption (no, don't look at me....). Obviously it had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with cost.

Call me a champagne philistine but I don't think the change will mar your experience one jot.

🥂🍾

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Just to pass on what others have reported here - apparently Moet couldn't make enough to keep up with onboard consumption (no, don't look at me....). Obviously it had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with cost.

Call me a champagne philistine but I don't think the change will mar your experience one jot.

🥂🍾

My local Costco sells Moet & Chandon champagne.  If Moet can produce enough to supply Costco, I am confident that they can produce enough to supply one small cruise ship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

My local Costco sells Moet & Chandon champagne.  If Moet can produce enough to supply Costco, I am confident that they can produce enough to supply one small cruise ship.

Costco?

Maybe old stock?

Or, wait, maybe it WAS cost related.

Thank you for shining a light on a different possible explanation.

🤪

Tonight....

Two posts tonight.

We went to the Explora Lounge on 11. We were 2 of about 6 there and caught the last 2 items from the pianist, Justine.

Then all the way back down (all those stairs....) to the Yacht Club. It was busy and buzzy - in a good way and we got 'the last table' and a slightly unnecessary apology for it being a 'poor' table. 

We actually had our second best meal and didn't find it difficult to put together a new combination of dishes for this second visit. A couple of photos. The bread basket is the best on the ship. Once again the dessert was excellent.

Service was very attentive despite the number of diners. But by the time we were finished we were almost the last to leave. 10pm, or thereabouts.

IMG_20240312_211530273.thumb.jpg.0cf65b54cfef20fdabbc9dc1286e0377.jpg

IMG_20240312_214800136.thumb.jpg.7edad6dafafc50de75e230bc972d04c4.jpg

• Like 1

And then the show.

After last night's train wreck tonight was a triumph and as good as we've seen, of its type, anywhere, on any ship 

First of all the real, high quality musicians had grown to 5 in number. The arrangements were first class, the staging high tech, the sound spot on and the performances outstanding. Shame it was a thin crowd but it was an appreciative one. No standing ovation at the end which was a relief as they are just too readily given these days - although wait, this evening was deserving of one!

If you weren't there the videos might give you a small taster. Oh, they are not videos - where do I find the videos ...?

IMG_20240312_230244030.thumb.jpg.27b84f097be6f1bce33e83f9d4689f49.jpg

IMG_20240312_222010370.thumb.jpg.02ad2d50b8e423d5c20a0a5f417eb69e.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Noggins said:

Tonight....

Two posts tonight.

We went to the Explora Lounge on 11. We were 2 of about 6 there and caught the last 2 items from the pianist, Justine.

Then all the way back down (all those stairs....) to the Yacht Club. It was busy and buzzy - in a good way and we got 'the last table' and a slightly unnecessary apology for it being a 'poor' table. 

We actually had our second best meal and didn't find it difficult to put together a new combination of dishes for this second visit. A couple of photos. The bread basket is the best on the ship. Once again the dessert was excellent.

Service was very attentive despite the number of diners. But by the time we were finished we were almost the last to leave. 10pm, or thereabouts.

IMG_20240312_211530273.thumb.jpg.0cf65b54cfef20fdabbc9dc1286e0377.jpg

IMG_20240312_214800136.thumb.jpg.7edad6dafafc50de75e230bc972d04c4.jpg

That desert looks absolutely scrumptious, and may persuade me to try one, as opposed to being considerate of my waistline.

"First of all the real, high quality musicians had grown to 5 in number. The arrangements were first class, the staging high tech, the sound spot on and the performances outstanding. Shame it was a thin crowd but it was an appreciative one. No standing ovation at the end which was a relief as they are just too readily given these days - although wait, this evening was deserving of one!"

Could not agree more.

And tonight's show looks to be great too. The wonderful Resident Vocalist, Lydia Christina, will be doing her own show: "A Tribute to the Divas". She has been so good in the shows earlier as part of the team, I am sure she will shine as a solo act.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, English Tim said:

That desert looks absolutely scrumptious, and may persuade me to try one, as opposed to being considerate of my waistline.

You absolutely should.

My system, perfected over the years, involves balancing excess in the evening with restraint in the morning. And there are wonderful 'restraint' options.

IMG_20240313_092923756.thumb.jpg.19435d4600bc418d68cd01c1051b9203.jpg

IMG_20240313_092504935.thumb.jpg.fbfd9f7dfea721db7262402dffc687fe.jpg

But if you want even lighter then the café (Crema) offers options too. eg a mini pain au raisin.

IMG_20240313_101505264.thumb.jpg.68c2adaa6abe9ac277ee272001b39fa9.jpg

• Like 1