Live from EJ1 - Miami to Barbados 8/3 (or 3/8 if you insist) >

Noggins

17 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

The stateroom ‘libraries’ have been stocked since day one.  The books are not lefts, they are provided by EJ.

Surely not - they are so random, and untidy. Definitely not the 'curated' approach with everything else.

To us Crystal set the bar in breakfast buffet quality / choice in the luxury sector. But Emporium now takes over the lead. But it will take us a day or two more to get the most out of it for our tastes - such is the choice.

We also snagged an outdoor table in the shade. There are not many tables outside. Furthermore they are quite a walk back in to the buffet area itself. What's more, there are steps up and down involved which is not ideal when carrying one (or possibly two ..) plates of food. On the plus side the extra exercise involved going back and forth canIMG_20240311_093017916.thumb.jpg.900b9f4da72bd766e96fb5616926f29c.jpg reasonably be rewarded with an extra almond croissant....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Surely not - they are so random, and untidy. Definitely not the 'curated' approach with everything else.

Looks random to me...

IMG_20240311_112444749.thumb.jpg.c5d39d5e93370e6cbed574b71d1f2b10.jpg

And not to be confused with a more orderly picture of books on the wall!

17101708441897400744980234642326.thumb.jpg.a57bf59f4d37226dad95ed91f2b17044.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Looks random to me...

And not to be confused with a more orderly picture of books on the wa

17101708441897400744980234642326.thumb.jpg.a57bf59f4d37226dad95ed91f2b17044.jpg

Read the titles of the books from left to right, starting at the top and working your way down row by row!!!  They tell a story!

Those prints run about $10 to 15k at art shows!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Noggins, would you mind sharing what your cabin number is? 

That's very sweet, Maggie but I'm a happily married man. 😎🤭

• Haha 9

Oddly, at the other aft pool there was a row of 4 unoccupied beds in the shade which we spotted whilst at breakfast. We took up residence (EJ speak) on one until the pesky sun moved. We retreated to our partially shaded terrace where we have been gradually edging backwards as the sun continues it's remorseless arc. We can see land but there's no TV map / track to tell us where we are. (Ah, why didn't I think of that, I've got a phone in my hand...🤦- Dominican Republic)

The seas are very smooth but there is the sound of water regularly cascading onto neighbouring terraces from above. But no screeching - so the neighbours are either out or enjoying themselves.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

Chair Hogs are getting busy. This is the Astern Pool at 7:30am. All loungers are "reserved" no people in sight.

WTH????!!!!!

There was NONE of that last week!  In general, we would actually see people pick up their towels as they left.

• Like 1

Afternoon tea has been considerably more successful. By good fortune we found ourselves sat close to the Holy Grail (sometimes called a hot water boiler). We were brought tea pots of water that were stood to one side but when the coast was clear I filled my cup directly from the boiler and got a decent brew.

The trolley came promptly and whilst part of me longed for a 3 tier wonder it was no bad thing that we went more modestly.

IMG_20240311_163047028.thumb.jpg.2166770b423e319ff8ef421b68aac389.jpg

• Like 3

I know the included wine list has been posted before but I'm not certain whether the current list has changed at all. What I do know is that the Merlot and first Malbec have suited our taste best. The second Malbec isn't available.

IMG_20240310_204927051.thumb.jpg.0bb34abbdbaac1988d78c3dfe7f5626f.jpg

Our white wine preference is an oaked Chardonnay. There isn't one of those. This resulted in my wondering if, on the chargeable list, there was an affordable bottle of our ultimate favourite, a Montrachet (white burgundy made with the Chardonnay grape). There isn't one of those either....at least there is but there again there isn't.....

IMG_20240310_204943580.thumb.jpg.eb8f992dd13d829da3052acbd968f21d.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noggins said:

Our white wine preference is an oaked Chardonnay. There isn't one of those. This resulted in my wondering if, on the chargeable list, there was an affordable bottle of our ultimate favourite, a Montrachet (white burgundy made with the Chardonnay grape). There isn't one of those either....at least there is but there again there isn't.....

Not a bad price for Pouilly-Fuissé though.  Also made from chardonnay.  I don't think any French chardonnays are oaked.

They definitely lose out to Crystal when it comes to included wines - they have some work to do on this as they don’t even have a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Having said that I must have something to keep me happy back in September - looking back at my pictures I see they had a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc on the list then 

By way of comparison here’s Crystals all inclusive list from last week 

IMG_1432.thumb.jpeg.ebdd742a0d35da6186a0d6996ba2c37f.jpeg

Here’s what we had on offer on Explora last September 

IMG_4120.thumb.jpeg.8fc7a8eedb540517963dbddb7cb9ef34.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

They definitely lose out to Crystal when it comes to included wines - they have some work to do on this as they don’t even have a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Having said that I must have something to keep me happy back in September - looking back at my pictures I see they had a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc on the list then 

By way of comparison here’s Crystals all inclusive list from last week 

I suspect that wine list would be much preferred by @Noggins.  But I don't see a single unoaked Chardonnay!  [Luckily I like Pouilly-Fumé as much as Pouilly-Fuissé]

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not a bad price for Pouilly-Fuissé though.  Also made from chardonnay.  I don't think any French chardonnays are oaked.

They don't make all those french oak barrels for nothing!

4 minutes ago, Noggins said:

They don't make all those french oak barrels for nothing!

They ship them to California so they can ruin their Chardonnay!  😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Chair Hogs are getting busy. This is the Astern Pool at 7:30am. All loungers are "reserved" no people in sight.

hogs 1.jpg

Hogs 2.jpg

Looks a lovely pool area though! I am looking forward to parking myself on one of those beds for a day although I have no intention of getting up at 7.30 to do so! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saminina said:

Disagree

When did you sail?  On the Iceland to New York inaugural cruise the multi-language books were already in the stateroom. I am very certain that the diversity of books in the room would not have been left by prior guests given the diversity of titles and language, and they were most certainly NEW books. Those of us who sailed on early cruises know the books were already there.

Dennis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kelleherdl said:

When did you sail?  On the Iceland to New York inaugural cruise the multi-language books were already in the stateroom. I am very certain that the diversity of books in the room would not have been left by prior guests given the diversity of titles and language, and they were most certainly NEW books. Those of us who sailed on early cruises know the books were already there.

Dennis

But apparently there are not there anymore… the ones that seem to be there from Noggins picture, do not look like new books that have been put there from the management. I would prefer to have a central place where books are kept for everyone. I am not asking for the Queen Marys library but something like you find at the MSC Yacht Club.

19 hours ago, Noggins said:

We can see land but there's no TV map / track to tell us where we are.

I too was surprised that there is no map tracking our journey on the TV or anywhere around the ship. When I asked why I was told to download the "My Explora" app to my phone where I would find a route tracker as well as a lot of other useful information. I did and the app is truly good. Explora should make a big deal about telling people to get the app. Not only does it have the route map, it allows access to your account, provides a daily planner with all your bookings (restaurants and excursions) a link to menus and shore excursion descriptions, and more. It is one of the best onboard apps I have found on any cruise.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

I too was surprised that there is no map tracking our journey on the TV or anywhere around the ship. When I asked why I was told to download the "My Explora" app to my phone where I would find a route tracker as well as a lot of other useful information. I did and the app is truly good. Explora should make a big deal about telling people to get the app. Not only does it have the route map, it allows access to your account, provides a daily planner with all your bookings (restaurants and excursions) a link to menus and shore excursion descriptions, and more. It is one of the best onboard apps I have found on any cruise.

Thanks - I must have a closer look. First impression was there was not much there. I'll try again.