Live from EJ1 - Miami to Barbados 8/3 (or 3/8 if you insist) >

Noggins

Host Jazzbeau
This post was recognized by Host Jazzbeau!

Noggins was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I don't know how long it will be before I bitterly regret setting out to do this but I'll try my best to keep anyone interested appraised of our trip starting next week. From the get go let's set some expectations: this is not going to be one of those 'live from's' that show you a picture of every moment / every drink / every toilet stop. It might well just be a summary catch up of the previous day or it might be a bit more than that - we'll just have to see...... 

By way of background, we moved to Scotland last year and absolutely love it. We have a small estate and our son and daughter (plus partners) live in properties on the estate and we share all that is involved in moving a bit of a time capsule into the 21st Century. Whilst I do some of the work we have full time contractors who have been here a year now slowly working through a huge maintenance backlog. It has meant that our once busy cruising lives have changed into vacations being much less frequent. We are both approaching a major milestone this year - it has a seven in it. Actually it has a seven in rather a prominent position.... I can't explain how it has crept up on us but all I do know is that I could do with a bit of 'modernisation' and a decorative upgrade (not to mention a plumbing overhaul 😳) myself. That said we're not in bad shape and live active lives.

Our cruising careers started quite late in life - 2007, I believe - with a Queen Mary crossing and Silverjet return (who remembers Silverjet??). We have never looked back and have since cruised many many times on pretty much every line from the cheapest all the way up. We are not the sort of folk who need to always be enveloped in luxury - but we do recognise it when we see it and know how to enjoy it. We stay firmly able to have a jolly good time enjoying simpler things too. To illustrate our eclectic taste, especially memorable cruises have been on Star Clippers, Silversea to the Arctic, an expedition cruise up the Rio Negro and every Crystal cruise we have ever been on (bar the first one when the weather was appalling!). We have never had a 'bad' cruise experience, we are glass half full folk and are not the complaining type - but we're not pushovers either!  

Most cruises have been just the two of us but we have also cruised with 'cruising friends' and sometimes with a small group of lifelong friends. This time it will be just the two of us. (next cruise we'll be a party of 6)

We booked this cruise in the Spring of '22 when 'you know what' was still impacting us all so much. Crystal had gone bust and the lure of a new luxury line was what was needed to pop into the 'things to look forward to when this mess is over' folder. It has finally come round - although it is not our first since the shutdown. We've recently (in the last year) been on Silver Dawn (meh) and Crystal Symphony (back and wonderful). I have been following along with the very mixed reviews of EJ since start up but have placed much store in the positives reported by CC chums Terry (Stickman) and Colin (kool kruiser). Don't let me down guys.....!

We leave home on Wednesday to fly to Heathrow for an overnight before our Virgin flight to Miami on Thursday. Then another overnight on Miami Beach before it begins proper - as it were.   

More to come. Probably.....

Adrian

• Like 14

Adrian. Nice introduction. We will be boarding with you on Friday and, like you, are looking forward to a new experience. We are ex-Brits now living on Hilton Head in South Carolina. We started cruising in 2017 when hitting the age you are now concerned about (don't be!!). We have cruised several times a year since then, mainly on Silversea and Regent, and wish we had started earlier in life. But no regrets. We are still enjoying every trip and have Greece, Bermuda and Iceland/Greenland on the calendar for the next year or so.

We are hoping that Explora lives up to the good reviews and certainly will be boarding with a positive attitude. We have splurged on an Ocean Residence, so are are expecting the best.

It would be fun to meet up with you onboard and compare notes over a glass or two. Are you Trivia players? We will be looking for a team to join.

Best, Chris & Heather

Bon Voyage

So glad that you’re going to give it a try - we loved our time on Explora and look forward to returning 

Can’t wait for your commentary on the experience 

No formal nights on Explora but will you be sporting your kilt some evenings?

Now remember to use the Explora speak/terms for everything - that alone will confuse and amuse many of your friends and readers for a while - 

19 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Bon Voyage

So glad that you’re going to give it a try - we loved our time on Explora and look forward to returning 

Can’t wait for your commentary on the experience 

No formal nights on Explora but will you be sporting your kilt some evenings?

Now remember to use the Explora speak/terms for everything - that alone will confuse and amuse many of your friends and readers for a while - 

As the other cc'er very kindly name-checked by you, looking forward to your thoughts etc. Congrats on reaching 37, 47 or whatever that first number is...

I know you will embrace and enjoy every moment, although I hope the change from your normal weather patterns will not cause an unexpected fever😀. Since we were onboard, I think the entertainment offering has significantly improved, whilst there seems to have been no compensatory decline elsewhere.

Whilst I share many of Mr Stickman's views, I sincerely hope you become, like me, a conscientous objector to Exploraspeak and refuse to adopt such nonsense...sorry Terry !

Love to E and have a great time.

Colin

Hi Chris & Heather. Goodness, and I thought we had moved a long way from 'home'! Yes, let's meet for a drink. It's not unusual for us to be found in a bar... As for trivia, we have a phenomenal amount of knowledge across a wide range of subjects. Unfortunately we have yet to stumble across a quiz master that recognises that these particular parcels of knowledge exist. Consequently we have come to spare ourselves the inevitable embarrassment. 

Hi Terry - thanks and I will speak as I find - promise! As for kilts, my less formal 'country casual' kilt requires braces - an odd look - and thus will not travel with me. I'll stick to my plus fours. Incidentally, my mother's side of the family were Grants - Clan Grant could be quite a feisty lot (and possibly explains one or two of my own characteristics...). The Grant tartans are very fine.

Hi Colin - thanks. Shirt sleeves and sunshine here today. You've got quite the wrong idea about Scotland! We're looking forward to meeting our butler and room steward.....

Folk have reported various issues regarding the EJ website / booking process etc. We too have had a few issues, in particular at the check in point. Our ever helpful TA untangled that but we still ended up with an unexpected telephone call with EJ. That said they did efficiently organise our 2 pre-booked dining options. I know it is the modern way but I do still miss the executive style box arriving in the post with a wonderful zipped wallet containing lots of nicely published documents and personalised luggage labels. (some of the old robust Silversea boxes now sit proudly in my workshop marked up 'spanners') I managed to print off the EJ documents twice. First off was after I had finally checked in and then again a few days later when our TA reported that we had been moved from the OT we had booked to four doors down and to a GT version (low slung bed and stripes on the walls?). Once I had completed the second printing I realised I had failed to notice reference to a different room number to the one booked the first time of printing. 🤦‍♂️

The only other comment I would make about the booking is that when we booked it was not a cruise with a 7/10/17 day set of options. Yes, a bit like B2B's but will we pick up the feel of significant numbers 'already there and in the groove'? 

So there we are, time to think about packing. The cat used to pick up very quickly on the emergence of suitcases. Unfortunately he's not too well and doesn't seem too bothered about anything. Because of that we cancelled the house sitter and family members have taken on the role of being his carers whilst we are away. (Is it futile to hope they will be as willing to adopt such a role when I'm the one needing it.....?)  

Oh, quick question. As UK citizens we need an ESTA to enter the USA. Our current ESTA's are good until 11/3 (3/11), so fine for entering the USA in Miami on the 7th. Is it possible EJ will take an interest and require us to have an indate ESTA through until the end - even though we don't re-enter the US at any point? Anyone have any thoughts?

Adrian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noggins said:

Oh, quick question. As UK citizens we need an ESTA to enter the USA. Our current ESTA's are good until 11/3 (3/11), so fine for entering the USA in Miami on the 7th. Is it possible EJ will take an interest and require us to have an indate ESTA through until the end - even though we don't re-enter the US at any point? Anyone have any thoughts?

Wouldn’t this apply

ESTA - Does it affect my departure if my ESTA expired after arriving in the United States?
“If your ESTA expires while in the United States it will not affect your departure.

If your ESTA has expired, you must reapply by submitting a new application at esta.cbp.dhs.gov. Existing authorizations cannot be extended.”

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Whilst I share many of Mr Stickman's views, I sincerely hope you become, like me, a conscientous objector to Exploraspeak and refuse to adopt such nonsense...sorry Terry !

No apology required - we’re in the same club and think it’s just silly to try to introduce a new language for the standard terminology. Hopefully they tire of it and revert back to the Kings English

On board now and will continue with you back to Barbados. The ship is wonderful, the crew outstanding and the food very good. It is objective, but I have not had a single bad meal. Marketplace is truly excellent ! Fil Rouge my favorite. 

You are in for a treat and I am sure you you will have a great time as well. I am loving it. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 10:32 AM, Noggins said:

Hi Chris & Heather. Goodness, and I thought we had moved a long way from 'home'! Yes, let's meet for a drink. It's not unusual for us to be found in a bar... As for trivia, we have a phenomenal amount of knowledge across a wide range of subjects. Unfortunately we have yet to stumble across a quiz master that recognises that these particular parcels of knowledge exist. Consequently we have come to spare ourselves the inevitable embarrassment. 

Hi Terry - thanks and I will speak as I find - promise! As for kilts, my less formal 'country casual' kilt requires braces - an odd look - and thus will not travel with me. I'll stick to my plus fours. Incidentally, my mother's side of the family were Grants - Clan Grant could be quite a feisty lot (and possibly explains one or two of my own characteristics...). The Grant tartans are very fine.

Hi Colin - thanks. Shirt sleeves and sunshine here today. You've got quite the wrong idea about Scotland! We're looking forward to meeting our butler and room steward.....

Folk have reported various issues regarding the EJ website / booking process etc. We too have had a few issues, in particular at the check in point. Our ever helpful TA untangled that but we still ended up with an unexpected telephone call with EJ. That said they did efficiently organise our 2 pre-booked dining options. I know it is the modern way but I do still miss the executive style box arriving in the post with a wonderful zipped wallet containing lots of nicely published documents and personalised luggage labels. (some of the old robust Silversea boxes now sit proudly in my workshop marked up 'spanners') I managed to print off the EJ documents twice. First off was after I had finally checked in and then again a few days later when our TA reported that we had been moved from the OT we had booked to four doors down and to a GT version (low slung bed and stripes on the walls?). Once I had completed the second printing I realised I had failed to notice reference to a different room number to the one booked the first time of printing. 🤦‍♂️

The only other comment I would make about the booking is that when we booked it was not a cruise with a 7/10/17 day set of options. Yes, a bit like B2B's but will we pick up the feel of significant numbers 'already there and in the groove'? 

So there we are, time to think about packing. The cat used to pick up very quickly on the emergence of suitcases. Unfortunately he's not too well and doesn't seem too bothered about anything. Because of that we cancelled the house sitter and family members have taken on the role of being his carers whilst we are away. (Is it futile to hope they will be as willing to adopt such a role when I'm the one needing it.....?)  

Adrian

We must be distantly related! My mother is a Grant and the tartan is lovely!

• Haha 1

When you have to leave home on Wednesday morning to get to your cruise ship for lunchtime on Friday you know you've got quite a journey in front of you. Why do we do that when we could leave for a Med cruise on the day of departure? Simpler, cheaper and for, maybe, more interesting destinations and ports.

Historically the answer would always have been something to do with the journey being a part of the holiday - as enjoyable but in a different way. Along came COVID and travel took on a mantle of at first disappearing altogether and then becoming so unpredictable and painful that it became something to endure rather than to enjoy. Perhaps we have moved on from that now - although the memories have not entirely faded.

The plan is to properly enjoy this journey. It is designed to be unrushed and comfortable. In fact it is even less rushed than planned as a result of Virgin changing their flight times. We could have avoided an overnight in London. (And we should have arrived in Miami in time to enjoy an evening rather than have a late evening arrival.) But this way we have no early morning starts, plenty of time to enjoy the Virgin Clubhouse tomorrow and plenty of time to shop for essentials that we might have remembered we left at home.....

All we can hope for now is that things run to plan. 🤞

Oh and why the Caribbean? Because we rather like it and it makes a very nice contrast to the Med. - especially when your plan is for a lazy relaxing holiday.

Adrian

• Like 6

Leg one complete - and with enough small glitches to make us glad we travelled today with time to spare. We needed it! If what happened today (slow check-in, rammed lounge due to delays and very slow luggage delivery) happened tomorrow we'd have been a bit hot 'n' bothered and in a mad rush to make the flight.

All that said today's flight itself came with included welcome 'relaxant'.... And the Hilton Garden Inn appears to have all that we need for one night.

And in the time since we arrived at Heathrow we've seen more people than we've seen in total in the last 6 months in Scotland!

IMG_20240306_152617697.thumb.jpg.6fea7347a709e48a52ab18a6f5034b5d.jpg

IMG_20240306_175642682.thumb.jpg.0c7e6222b9491b2925654e487fac3c02.jpg

• Like 3

If you thought the Sofitel was the only decent on-site hotel at Heathrow you'd be wrong. The Hilton comperes pretty well - and has an excellent 14th floor sky bar with excellent food (small menu).

However, who knew you could have this much excitement at 2am when the fire alarm goes off.....? 🤦

IMG_20240307_022026130.thumb.jpg.82daf2413e8b38a695ae63174dc90dcc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Miami is a long way from London and I was glad I wasn't driving. Virgin looked after us well on a 350 and we shot through immigration. But our car wasn't waiting and that caused a fair bit of aggravation getting that unravelled. The hotel was fine except for the previous guests 2am alarm. At least we didn't have to go and stand outside.

Which takes us to EJ - which is what we're here for!

A few hits and misses so far.

We were immediately approached by a porter as our car drew up. Our paper labels were stapled on (no sign of the promised wallets) and we were asked for a tip. Now I know all about the US love affair with tips but I just didn't feel that was a very classy start. Whisked through security and up to check in where we were invited to sit and wait. Others arrived after us and were quickly taken to check-in podiums. To be fair we weren't left waiting long. We checked in on the button of our assigned time and we're onboard in minutes. A glass of champagne was immediately proffered and we were encouraged up to deck 11 for lunch. It was a complete zoo. No one made any attempt to attend to us and even the maitre d had a blank expression when we explained we were searching for somewhere to sit. A colleague eventually came up trumps but 10 minutes later we still had no water, no cutlery etc. It was not a great experience.

However, the food offerings were very good and we didn't leave hungry. Our room was ready and is very impressive.

We're part way through an explore but a beer has waylaid me.

We have a booking for Sakura tonight. There was no reminder in our room but a visit to the specialty dining desk solved that question.

Muster at 5 - and we have dutifully watched the video and logged that.

Laters....

IMG_20240308_144918546.thumb.jpg.5c740f84d40ba65dcd7a092087bec615.jpg

IMG_20240308_144135372.thumb.jpg.caec19d43a051cfd3e367fed29a087a1.jpg

• Like 7

Brief exploration complete. The hardware is indeed impressive. Nice to see such a selection of outdoor bars and the seating/ loungers everywhere are of very high quality. Clearly there are some prime spots which are bound to be sought after....

Looking forward to experiencing how it all works and how the staff / crew / hosts (use your preferred terminology) deliver the product.

By the way, the muster drill was nothing more than having your card scanned and you were sent on your way. (Obviously you were required to watch a video too)

Sailaway shortly!

IMG_20240308_170403267.thumb.jpg.1814d80aaa51d18ab500ac969192324e.jpg

IMG_20240308_170444890.thumb.jpg.897e5f2835a9c892602c6c5797c0c4fd.jpgIMG_20240308_160745647.thumb.jpg.9cdde76634aee10299a8b82de083b1f2.jpgIMG_20240308_160053399.thumb.jpg.df23be46057e0ae30d033751705e5354.jpg

• Like 7

Stop press.

Last cruise 760 guests

This cruise 420 guests.

Allegedly.

(wow, and such a zoo at lunchtime with 420 total 🤔)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I intended to post at the end of last evening but the WiFi had disappeared from our room. It hadn't returned this morning - until a phone restart when it reappeared. Never had that happen before.

Sakura.... Yes we will definitely go back there. The food was excellent and up there with the very best cruise ship food. We had sushi as a starter and I ordered soup as an extra course. Oddly, within moments of ordering it appeared as if that needed to be got out the way to get the meal between us back in sync. Not a problem (the soup was beautiful) just a little unexpected. The Tonka bean mousse dessert was very artful but rather lacking in flavour (unless the Thai green curry had temporarily dulled my taste buds).

The main thing missing in the restaurant was a sense of theatre and a real sense of 'luxe'. Probably only noticed because we were dining as 2. (That said we fell into conversation with the neighbouring 2 top and ended up almost as if we were a table of 4)

After dinner we went to the 'show lounge ' for an ' introduction to your entertainers for this cruise '. It was the 3 piece band (talented guys that could only be improved by having a brass and a woodwind section) and the two resident vocalists - both of whom have great voices. There were maybe 40 people in the audience - so little atmosphere. And it was a shame the final number had to be bl**dy ABBA. I thought EJ wanted to do things differently??!!

Back to the room and this on the bed. Setting the bar for recognising just how many 'Days' in the year?!

We have just arrived in Key West.

More later.

(sorry, I've lost the knack of separating photos...)

IMG_20240308_224551569.thumb.jpg.dbeb6de89ea8e147ba262a46c285e97f.jpgIMG_20240308_211357483.thumb.jpg.433e8a17165c5f09a90a9b1d1d57ab4e.jpgIMG_20240308_195742320.thumb.jpg.bbed458e73d55d46c7bb0bd9bba7ff2e.jpgIMG_20240308_231305981.thumb.jpg.e452131c325ffb9d7863d8a3040b2b6a.jpg

• Like 3

Enjoying your posts Adrian. You made me come back to the Explora board, after I left in dissatisfaction because Explora canceled 2 cruises and I did not want to give them a 3rd chance. But time heals everything so maybe in 2026 🧐.

Ivi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:32 AM, Noggins said:

I don't know how long it will be before I bitterly regret setting out to do this but I'll try my best to keep anyone interested appraised of our trip starting next week. From the get go let's set some expectations: this is not going to be one of those 'live from's' that show you a picture of every moment / every drink / every toilet stop. It might well just be a summary catch up of the previous day or it might be a bit more than that - we'll just have to see...... 

By way of background, we moved to Scotland last year and absolutely love it. We have a small estate and our son and daughter (plus partners) live in properties on the estate and we share all that is involved in moving a bit of a time capsule into the 21st Century. Whilst I do some of the work we have full time contractors who have been here a year now slowly working through a huge maintenance backlog. It has meant that our once busy cruising lives have changed into vacations being much less frequent. We are both approaching a major milestone this year - it has a seven in it. Actually it has a seven in rather a prominent position.... I can't explain how it has crept up on us but all I do know is that I could do with a bit of 'modernisation' and a decorative upgrade (not to mention a plumbing overhaul 😳) myself. That said we're not in bad shape and live active lives.

Our cruising careers started quite late in life - 2007, I believe - with a Queen Mary crossing and Silverjet return (who remembers Silverjet??). We have never looked back and have since cruised many many times on pretty much every line from the cheapest all the way up. We are not the sort of folk who need to always be enveloped in luxury - but we do recognise it when we see it and know how to enjoy it. We stay firmly able to have a jolly good time enjoying simpler things too. To illustrate our eclectic taste, especially memorable cruises have been on Star Clippers, Silversea to the Arctic, an expedition cruise up the Rio Negro and every Crystal cruise we have ever been on (bar the first one when the weather was appalling!). We have never had a 'bad' cruise experience, we are glass half full folk and are not the complaining type - but we're not pushovers either!  

Most cruises have been just the two of us but we have also cruised with 'cruising friends' and sometimes with a small group of lifelong friends. This time it will be just the two of us. (next cruise we'll be a party of 6)

We booked this cruise in the Spring of '22 when 'you know what' was still impacting us all so much. Crystal had gone bust and the lure of a new luxury line was what was needed to pop into the 'things to look forward to when this mess is over' folder. It has finally come round - although it is not our first since the shutdown. We've recently (in the last year) been on Silver Dawn (meh) and Crystal Symphony (back and wonderful). I have been following along with the very mixed reviews of EJ since start up but have placed much store in the positives reported by CC chums Terry (Stickman) and Colin (kool kruiser). Don't let me down guys.....!

We leave home on Wednesday to fly to Heathrow for an overnight before our Virgin flight to Miami on Thursday. Then another overnight on Miami Beach before it begins proper - as it were.   

More to come. Probably.....

Adrian

In Miami i highly reccomend the restaurant My Name is Dolores but you can call me Lolita.  1st saw it on CC then went on recent cruise out of Miami big fun and excellent 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

In Miami i highly reccomend the restaurant My Name is Dolores but you can call me Lolita.  1st saw it on CC then went on recent cruise out of Miami big fun and excellent 

I have seen this restaurant in Brickell near to my hotel. What have you particularly liked from this restaurant ? I might give it a try next time.

On 3/3/2024 at 9:32 AM, Noggins said:

From the get go let's set some expectations: this is not going to be one of those 'live from's' that show you a picture of every moment / every drink / every toilet stop.

Thanks for skipping the toilet stop photo op.

400+ passengers is not enough to cause havoc at the boarding day buffet.  Add 100+ travel agents and freeloading influencers and there you have it. 

16 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Are other restaurants besides the buffet open on embarkation day? 

If there were, Maggie, they kept very quiet about them! Crema, the coffee shop (small bites) was open - and rammed.