Live from EJ1 - Miami to Barbados 8/3 (or 3/8 if you insist) >

Noggins

CC was playing up earlier which prevented a more timely breakfast update. Seems to have sorted itself now.

Last night we decided not to risk a first morning breakfast bun fight in the buffet so ordered in-room breakfast from the pretty impressive menu. (I'll post a copy later). We still took the opportunity of an 'early' additional explore of the ship and passed through the buffet in rush hour. Of course, it was calm and running well under capacity 🙄

Breakfast soon arrived after our return to the room. The photo illustrates how EJ serves an in-room breakfast..... Quality was fine with the exception of the coffee the smell of which took me back to those huge urns of coffee that used to be used at large conference venues. If I didn't know better I'd have been certain acorns were an active ingredient.

Shoreside we made a rookie error of forgetting a photo ID so had to return for that before a leisurely stroll to the beach. Unfortunately seaweed rather spoils the swimming scene. Otherwise Key West retains a charm all of it's own. (And Sloppy Joe's manages to draw in a remarkable crowd even quite early in the day.)

Back on board it's very quiet - as you'd expect. A recci for a shady spot confirms it helps to be a lover of lying in the full sun on this ship.

Jumping back to our further exploration this morning, it turns out we had missed quite a few features yesterday. Hardly surprising as what the designers have done so well is to create very many small public spaces with different furniture and features. It is very well done, very classy - and is going to be very expensive to maintain in tip top condition. The closest comparison I can make is to Silver Dawn. EJ blows that ship out of the water (lovely though it is) on the hardware front.

IMG_20240309_091626241.thumb.jpg.2f0a03eb1079ca3834c79c3d3e359a93.jpg

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, saminina said:

Thanks for skipping the toilet stop photo op.

400+ passengers is not enough to cause havoc at the boarding day buffet.  Add 100+ travel agents and freeloading influencers and there you have it. 

Good thought. Perhaps there were a lot of 'day pass' guests on board that made it such a scrum.

1 hour ago, Noggins said:

Jumping back to our further exploration this morning, it turns out we had missed quite a few features yesterday. Hardly surprising as what the designers have done so well is to create very many small public spaces with different furniture and features. It is very well done, very classy - and is going to be very expensive to maintain in tip top condition.

Enjoying your commentary as always 

We loved the layout and lounge areas around the ship - but tell me how are your knees holding up getting in and out of the low seats?

Must have been designed by a fit young thing who is not seizing up yet

8 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Enjoying your commentary as always 

We loved the layout and lounge areas around the ship - but tell me how are your knees holding up getting in and out of the low seats?

Must have been designed by a fit young thing who is not seizing up yet

Funnily enough, Terry, I've been planning to comment on this and the wider subject of access. When I took my mobility challenged mum on a (Crystal) cruise a few years ago I had my eyes opened wider to the simple things that had the potential to become significant challenges if you either relied on wheels or had knees that struggle.

If the designers of this ship were told to always consider the needs of our mobility challenged guests then I'd be surprised.

It's not just that many of the chairs, benches, sofas etc are low it is the surprising number of steps that exist where no ship normally has steps. It does make for more interesting design but it must be presenting challenges to some guests. Even the unwary can be caught out. We witnessed one lady last night take quite a fall last night, tripping on a step that whilst lit wasn't entirely obvious.

There are mobility challenged guests on board and perhaps I should break out my clipboard and interview a selection to see what they say. But, sorry, I'm on holiday so unless I have a chance conversation with someone this is probably all I've got on the subject. Maybe a couple of photos of some of the most surprising locations where steps exist....

Meanwhile I'm going to pop up and down out of low chairs just because I can. At the moment.....

• Like 5

Oh dear, afternoon tea has been a minor disaster. The lounge was quiet, plenty of nicely set up tables. We were quickly furnished with a quality tea bag and a few minutes later by teapots of lukewarm water. The worst possible cup of tea slowly emerged - but no sightings of the trolley that bears the other vital elements of afternoon tea 

We gave up and started to walk out only to come face to face with the idle trolley surrounded by chatting staff. We provided a little constructive feedback (were asked for our room number 😬) and went on our way, promising to give it another go tomorrow (with promised BOILING water!)

Fortunately we were able to initiate a very satisfactory Plan B....

IMG_20240309_171758552.thumb.jpg.869e7542a5329b6454808e490da2b863.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The issue you faced with Emporium on embarkation was definitely caused by the horrible horrible immigration at Miami cruise port. They only sent 2 agents for disembarking passengers, roundabout 600. Explora officials said they paid for 6 agents and only received 2.   Port of Miami should really be ashamed of themselves. The tip issue when checking in your back is also a well known problem at Miami port for many years and affects every single embarking passenger, every day. Again shame on PoMiami who do nothing about it. 

The disembarkation took till 11:15, plan was to have everybody off the ship by 9:30.

b2b passengers not on a tour or with independent plans to visit downtown had to wait till appr 11:00h before we were able to disembark and immigrate , which of course we all had to, as Key West was our next port. 
We were only allowed back on board by the PoMiami officials at 12:00h. 

Only after we were back on board, the first new guests arrived on the ship. No wonder Emporium was packed, as most guests arrived at the same time. 
The week prior in Barbados, it was no zoo at Emporium at lunch time, and there were about 200 more guests on board. In fact, for the past 8 days it has always been a pleasure to lunch at Emporium, with lots of available seats and a speedy drink service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This evening we ate in the Yacht Club - no reservation necessary, Med style menu.

We had an excellent meal, high quality ingredients (you felt) well cooked and expertly presented. The wait staff did a great job too. The room is elegant, low ceilinged and with a nice atmosphere. We were reminded that just a bit of sorting in some areas around the ship and this could be a devastatingly good product. It just needs some more experienced staff on the ground training and overseeing operations. A few of tonight's dishes....

IMG_20240309_200847766.thumb.jpg.aac91f44b604f25e94ca0d028fa2baf1.jpg

IMG_20240309_203111895.thumb.jpg.f1731f8a10ffdb5395a31c14b61e77fe.jpg

IMG_20240309_211252247.thumb.jpg.b0a80d744a3c3f1852482a6072247345.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there is a daily programme. First of 2 seats days today. 

First enrichment lecture (which somehow doesn't make the front 'highlights' listing). 

Also something new for tonight's entertainment. Last night was a repeat (artist wise) of the first night. We didn't go - but only because we ran out of energy.

Now, where for breakfast.....🤔

Oh and we picked up on the grapevine last night that there's a special multi course / paired wine event today - in the Emporium ('buffet') at, wait for it, 11am. That seems odd. There's an upcharge but I don't recall the exact figure. It's not clear who is being invited to attend but as there are probably few seats available that might explain why most people will never get to know about it. For the avoidance of doubt, we weren't 'invited'!

IMG_20240310_085848096.thumb.jpg.51dfad4e6320a44a53b6920e5cff30ea.jpg

IMG_20240310_085855906.thumb.jpg.2f678a9b42fde6de4f7c84a5e2fae6d1.jpg

• Like 1

This appeared in the room yesterday. Of course , my first thought is that they're on to me and this was a compensatory gift after tea-gate. Or perhaps a thank you for saying largely nice things on CC. 

Then it dawned on me that perhaps everyone got one....

IMG_20240310_091320132.thumb.jpg.cb5803c46b17c14a4aa9d58923d0e325.jpg

• Haha 4

Breakfast was Fil Rouge - the equivalent of a main dining room breakfast. Except the room is not like a MDR. Low ceiling, space broken up into multiple small sections. Very nice, very comfortable.

Unfortunately minor, easily fixable issues mar the experience. (And we weren't alone - the neighbouring table was returning items. So it's not just us being fussy Brits!)

Our order was taken and tasteless coffee delivered. This was replaced with lukewarm cappachino. Good smoothies and fruit were followed by scrambled egg with a side of rosti, grilled tomato and mushrooms. This is what came.

IMG_20240310_102320793.thumb.jpg.b7786d21cb9b5887ca0efc7a4a3c34a1.jpg

Not unpleasant but just not what I expected. Our other main dish was grilled tomato and mushrooms and camembert like this...

IMG_20240310_102450870.thumb.jpg.b050c59303162e54b42fe4fea433d070.jpg

Well, it won't happen again as next time I'll know what to specify. And you know too now. I thank you..... (😎)

Another sign of inexperience was the CD / entertainment manager having to make a ship wide announcement as to what the time was. They hadn't realised that everyone's phones would update and move an hour forward overnight whilst the ship has chosen to make that move tonight instead. Why? I'm not sure how many people enjoyed an unnecessarily early breakfast this Sunday morning.... (Mother's Day too - but maybe that's just a UK day / date?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I have seen this restaurant in Brickell near to my hotel. What have you particularly liked from this restaurant ? I might give it a try next time.

We stayed in Brickell area and we loved the cultural vibe in the area  . It so happened that sitting across from us was Julio iglesias jr being interviewed and his entourage.  The food was great sevice as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Noggins said:

Not unpleasant but just not what I expected. Our other main dish was grilled tomato and mushrooms and camembert like this...

IMG_20240310_102450870.thumb.jpg.b050c59303162e54b42fe4fea433d070.jpg

Where's the Camembert?

Sorry you’re not getting the same great experience we got last September and I’m picking up on some changes which don’t fit with the luxury experirnce - although service levels shouldn’t have changed for the negative 

I hope they start delivering a consistent quality experience for you - and soon! 

They certainly have some work to do 

Posted (edited)

Forgive me to add to your live review, which I enjoy as much as everyone else, with the difference that I am on board too. Just a little observation from my perspective as a B2B passenger, who is now onboard for 9 days. 
The vibe on the ship has completely changed since Miami. Although less passengers, the ship feels fuller during the day. Especially noticeable at Emporium but also around deck. Last cruise more people were searching for shade, this cruise it is the opposite. And there are quite a few chair hogs. Weird, since there is enough deckspace, but I guess some people think it is appropriate, even on a luxury cruise. 

There are much more Europeans on this cruise, including children. Not a problem at all from my perspective. They seem to have a good time just like the adults. 

It became a bit quieter on the ship, maybe because Europeans tend to talk quieter. At the same time, some of the friendliness and Hello‘s you would hear all the time in the corridors or on deck are missing. As mentioned, the vibe is different. Not bad, just different. 

Last week there were quite a few travel agents onboard. Some people here on CC think that is a bad idea. I think the opposite. It is necessary to introduce travel agents to the brand and ship, so they can then share their experience with their customers. And most of us rely on our travel agents. 
Also they were a friendly and lively bunch in a good way last week. They brought laughter and joy to the ship and enhanced the atmosphere, especially at night in the theatre. I did not see any so called influencer by the way. 

Shows were excellent last week, special shoutout to a performer called Nathan James who literally rocked the boat with his brilliant performance and his incredible voice. 
I am sure this cruises entertainment will be equally good, from my perspective Explora does a pretty good job there. This also applies to other varied activities as well as gatherings like for Singles, Prism (LGBTQ+). The crew generally does a great job and is very personal and very friendly. It is also nice to see faces from Africa again, which I had not seen many if at all on cruises over the past years. 

And with this, back to you Noggins…. 🙂

Edited by mike@sea
  • Like 3

Thanks Mike how interesting. And, please, contribute anytime!

To Terry's comment, perhaps I'm giving the wrong impression - overall we're super impressed. But when you're just 2 I do believe you experience cruises differently to when you're in a group. In a group so much more of your 'bandwidth of attention' is taken up that you notice any glitches less. Well, that's my experience. 

Today we sat at the same table for lunch in Emporium as we did on that first lunchtime. It was not busy and the staff knew exactly what they were doing. The problem that first day was probably that they were being asked to perform beyond what was physically possible and, although looking on, their supervisors were failing to step in and help. Something good supervisors do unthinkingly!

Unfortunately double dessert at lunchtime means i must break the promise to return for afternoon tea this today.... Tomorrow, perhaps.

We've not had trouble finding shade today, the lecture on Churchill was very good and champagne time is not far off - so all is good. 🍾🥂

• Like 3

I too am on this voyage (sorry, Journey) and plan to only post a few things here and there. Noggins is doing a great job of detailing his experiences and doesn't need help from me.

So far I have been surprised at the quality of the entertainment. Based on historical posting, I was expecting this to be a negative. However, the two resident vocalists who had shows on the last two nights (very different each night) are superb singers. I would say the best I have heard on any of my past cruises. Also, the guest speaker today, Sir Alan Collins, gave a wonderful talk on Winston Churchill. Again, as good a guest speaker as I have experienced on any cruise.

I had a long conversation with the Entertainment Manager and he explained that management have been listening to customer feedback and are totally redesigning the entertainment program. Having two shows each evening, one at 9pm and one at 10:15pm is good news for me.

I echo Noggins praise for the ship and hosts (Explora speak again . . sorry). I will opine on the food and service after trying all venues.

Back to you Adrian

• Like 2

Darn it! I knew we'd regret giving in to exhaustion and missing the show last night! (sounds like no ABBA too....? 😎)

Marble & Co for us tonight. Possibly an odd choice for non meat eaters so we might smuggle a sandwich in - just in case of emergencies.

All being well we will manage to get to the late show. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike@sea said:

It became a bit quieter on the ship, maybe because Europeans tend to talk quieter. At the same time, some of the friendliness and Hello‘s you would hear all the time in the corridors or on deck are missing. As mentioned, the vibe is different. Not bad, just different. 
. 🙂

Well, I DID leave on Friday , just sayin’……

• Haha 2

Random request for those of you who are on board at the moment. Do you know if they offer lash extensions in the spa/beauty area please? Third world problem I know but trying to work out options when I am board for 20 nights soon … 🫣

We ate well in Marble, a venue with quite a different look to any other, so far. It is definitely  a more masculine look with less soft furnishings and luxury finishes. It's a style that suits the steak house nature of the restaurant. We were on a 2 top in a 'room' that had 4 2 tops along each of 2 sides of the room. It was Brits on one side and US on the other! The US side were actually a group and their 4 tables were pushed together. On our side we were close enough to converse with all our neighbours. 

Whilst we ate well, we wonder how we'll find anything different for a second visit. And this is going to be an increasing problem if the menus are never going to change. (Admittedly this is a bigger problem if your dietary choices / requirements rules out sections of the menu. Plant based dishes are there but they are few and far between.)

There has been some slight motion in the night and this morning there is a fair amount of water on our terrace. Our host / steward warned us that the hot tub way above us sloshes water onto the extended terraces on deck 6. 💦 That's something to watch out for if you're out there relaxing in the sun!

I'm braced for someone telling me the show was amazing. Unfortunately E has not been too well and couldn't summon the stamina for a 'late' night. (She's slept much better, so perhaps is now on the mend.)

Second sea day today. The plan is breakfast in Emporium, then lecture, a bit of exercise and start my second book. There's nothing like a cruise to get back into books!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Yes. Cruises are for me a wonderful opportunity to read as much as I can. Does Explora have a library?

Ivi

Hello Ivi. I don't believe there's a library but without access to a detailed deck plan it's hard to be sure what we might be missing. We do find it a confusing ship to navigate around - and finding a toilet can take you on quite a hike they are so well 'hidden'! But I'm sure familiarity will increase each day. Back to books, though. There are display shelves in our room two of which have become depositories for past guest paperbacks. There must be 10 random books. I'm not convinced that's a good idea. (Imagine that in the days of COVID! 😳)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Hello Ivi. I don't believe there's a library but without access to a detailed deck plan it's hard to be sure what we might be missing. We do find it a confusing ship to navigate around - and finding a toilet can take you on quite a hike they are so well 'hidden'! But I'm sure familiarity will increase each day. Back to books, though. There are display shelves in our room two of which have become depositories for past guest paperbacks. There must be 10 random books. I'm not convinced that's a good idea. (Imagine that in the days of COVID! 😳)

The stateroom ‘libraries’ have been stocked since day one.  The books are not lefts, they are provided by EJ.