Weather, Ship and less kids?

kaz828

I am trying to talk my fiancee into trying an alaska cruise, we are usually caribbean people. So I have a couple questions.

What month would be the most ideal warmer weather wise? 
What would be the best line/ship for indoor adult only pool areas? Can outdoor pools or hot tubs be used at all?

Some reading around the board would give you a ton of info. There are tons of threads here about weather and the "best" time to go.

The weather in Alaska is quite variable...sometimes changing multiple times in a day. May is drier and cooler, changing to warmer but wetter as you head through summer to July and August. 

Many ships (all of Holland America's ships, for example) have covered mid ship pools...definitely swimmable. Fewer children on HAL, but if its cooler weather, all the kids will be at the midship pool.

Hot tubs are always available. Sat in a stern pool hot tub in a sleet storm on Labor Day one year. Interesting experience. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have noticed that there usually is a dip in the number of passengers around the  4th  week of August.  The kids are either back in school, or getting ready for classes to start around Labor Day.  The older retirees are waiting for September to sail thinking that the kids will be back in school, so we see more older travelers.

That said, the 'dip' in the passenger count represents maybe a couple hundred passengers.  

Celebrity's Solstice never dipped below 2,800 all season (it's stated capacity).

Alaska cruises just sail very full.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher