Kodiac & Valdez on our own

vms

There are limited shore excursions for these ports and they are all sold out or not of interest to us. While we might throw our names on the waiting list, wondering if anyone on the boards has done either of these locations on their own, even if not via cruise, and might have some ideas for us. Nothing showing on Viator or ToursbyLocals.  Private tours, car rental options, other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Kodiak and Valdez both have visitor's information centers.  Use google to find their respective websites.

We were last in Kodiak for a few days in 2016 before boarding a state ferry to go out to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska.  One of the days we were there a cruise ship was docked at the ferry dock just outside of downtown  A school bus was used as a shuttle to move folks downtown.  In downtown Kodiak both the Alutiiq Museum and Kodiak History Museum (at times referred to as the Baranov House) are right downtown.  A Russian Orthodox cathedral is also downtown.  Ft. Abercrombie is a distance away.  Car rental agencies are located at the airport, but in 2016 one of the rental agencies would leave a car at a downtown gift shop where we picked up and dropped off the keys.  

In Valdez the Valdez Museum is downtown.  Another consideration is a day cruise using Stan Stephens Glacier and Wildlife Cruises; excellent company.  I don't know if your ship will be docking at the state ferry terminal or if it will be out of town.  If out of town expect a school bus type shuttle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Hopefully your ship will have a shuttle bus into town.  From there Kodiak is easily walkable.  

Actually, from the docking position of that HAL ship in Kodiak in 2016 we would have had absolutely NO problems walking to the down town area.  Very flat along the waterfront.

Valdez has bus Keystone bus tour. It looked good but we booked Stephen's glacier boat ride. I haven't been so I can't recommend. Search google and youtube. 

Kodiak rental cars that I found are now at the airport which is a hassle. Not the best but what we reserved.  

I don't think it's much of a hassle to rent a car.  The airport is close, and an easy taxi from the port.  

I'm in Kodiak once or twice a year for work, so I'm very comfortable driving the area with a rental car, and I totally recommend it.  You'd be doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you only got off the ship and walked to the downtown area....which is very unimpressive, by the way.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 5:34 AM, Aquahound said:

I don't think it's much of a hassle to rent a car.  The airport is close, and an easy taxi from the port.  

I'm in Kodiak once or twice a year for work, so I'm very comfortable driving the area with a rental car, and I totally recommend it.  You'd be doing yourself a HUGE disservice if you only got off the ship and walked to the downtown area....which is very unimpressive, by the way.  

Hello @Aquahound

We are visiting Kodiak for the first time. I hope you don't mind me drawing on your knowledge. We are torn between a 3 hour bus tour and a 2 1/2 hour boat tour of the island towards the end of April. I've been told that you only get to see the beauty of the island from a small boat. Would that be your view? I'm also conscious that it might be unbearably cold! Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 11:37 AM, vms said:

There are limited shore excursions for these ports and they are all sold out or not of interest to us. While we might throw our names on the waiting list, wondering if anyone on the boards has done either of these locations on their own, even if not via cruise, and might have some ideas for us. Nothing showing on Viator or ToursbyLocals.  Private tours, car rental options, other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

We’re in a similar situation for our September cruise. I know it’s late in the season and several operators have said they’d have finished, especially in Kodiak. I did find this company for Valdez though and have booked this trip

https://alaska.guide/tours/valdez-glacier-shuttle-tour

I also looked at this company but have booked the other one

https://valdezwatertaxiandcharters.com/sightseeing

So I’m still looking for something in Kodiak. 

Edited by luv2cruisenz
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, luv2cruisenz said:

We’re in a similar situation for our September cruise. I know it’s late in the season and several operators have said they’d have finished, especially in Kodiak. I did find this company for Valdez though and have booked this trip

https://alaska.guide/tours/valdez-glacier-shuttle-tour

I also looked at this company but have booked the other one

https://valdezwatertaxiandcharters.com/sightseeing

So I’m still looking for something in Kodiak. 

I am also looking for alternatives in Valdez. The good cruise tours are all fully booked.

On 3/13/2024 at 11:49 AM, Brookhaven_90 said:

Hello @Aquahound

We are visiting Kodiak for the first time. I hope you don't mind me drawing on your knowledge. We are torn between a 3 hour bus tour and a 2 1/2 hour boat tour of the island towards the end of April. I've been told that you only get to see the beauty of the island from a small boat. Would that be your view? I'm also conscious that it might be unbearably cold! Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Sincere apologies.  I am just now seeing this.  That's a tough one.  I love Kodiak by land but a bus isn't going to get you to most of the most beautiful locations.  

Yes, a boat tour could be chilly and it is most likely to be overcast.  I'm not sure where the tour goes, so it's hard to judge.

Sorry, this might not have been the most help.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2024 at 7:01 PM, Aquahound said:

Sincere apologies.  I am just now seeing this.  That's a tough one.  I love Kodiak by land but a bus isn't going to get you to most of the most beautiful locations.  

Yes, a boat tour could be chilly and it is most likely to be overcast.  I'm not sure where the tour goes, so it's hard to judge.

Sorry, this might not have been the most help.  

Good morning and thanks for responding. Internet was limited on board the cruise. We ended up doing a bus tour and then walking around to visit the church, museum and sea life centre, all in the pouring rain! The boat tour was cancelled due to weather and date change. We still enjoyed our visit! Thanks