Recommendations for Car Rental Companies from Civitavecchia

Mimiya11

I started with AutoEurope and found the best rate they offered was at Avis.  Then I went to the Avis site and found that the AARP discount was even better, so I booked with Avis directly.

So just like a hotel search, try several options to find the best deal.

I also found that a VISA card from my credit union provides full insurance, so I opted out of the Avis insurance.  The car had dents so I took photos and video before we left the lot.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2024 at 10:08 AM, mapleleaves said:

I started with AutoEurope and found the best rate they offered was at Avis.  Then I went to the Avis site and found that the AARP discount was even better, so I booked with Avis directly.

So just like a hotel search, try several options to find the best deal.

I also found that a VISA card from my credit union provides full insurance, so I opted out of the Avis insurance.  The car had dents so I took photos and video before we left the lot.

where is avis located?

Forty years of renting cars, in Europe, has taught me to shop around for each trip.  Autoeurope (and their sister company Kemwel) are good options if renting for 3 or more days.  Keep in mind that both autoeurope and kemwel usually have deals with a zero deductible, which is something we think is a good idea in Italy.  Be careful if booking with any company, to check the deductible/excess.  Alhe rso keep in mind that quite a few credit cards, exclude Italy from their included excess waiver.

One other warning, if you are not familiar with driving in Italy.  Many rental cars are "stick shift" and you will usually pay a premium for automatics.  Also read up on ZTLs (Zona Traffico Limitato) which are restricted driving zones (policed by cameras).  Accidently penetrate a ZTL and you might find yourself hit with a substantial fine (billed through the rental car company) in excess of 100 Euros.  Also be advised that an International Drivers Permit (available from AAA) is legally required (in Italy).  That being said, we have rented a few dozen times, and nobody has ever asked to see that document.  But not having an IDP can get you fined if you happen to get stopped by the Police.

Hank