Is your Sky Suite butler back? Please report

No, we never did get any compensation. They gladly accepted our money and then reduced service without so much as a future credit.

We're done booking suites with Celebrity. I know they won't miss us, but we also won't grieve for what they've become. We get better value elsewhere.

Posted (edited)

Celebrity emailed out another change to Retreat Class today in the Captain's Club Newsletter. 

Changes are Effective Immediately.

Celebrity suites and below will no longer receive any complimentary beverages in their mini-fridge.

All class of Sky Suites (Including Sunset and Horizon) will NOT have a dedicated butler.  Only a Butler and Retreat "TEAM".  This appears to be a reversal of their previous notices that a dedicated butler will be returned to all classes of SS.  Appears yet another rebranding of their unsuccessful Retreat Team concept. I called the onshore Retreat Concierge to verify the newsletter information.  She stated no more dedicated butlers and complimentary mini-fridge stocking for less than Royal Suites/Signature Suites on all ships.  More amenities will be added for upper class suites and only the Iconic, Penthouse and Edge Villas will have the dedicated (more likely than not shared) butlers.  SAD!

I am giving up on booking anything below a Royal Suite on Celebrity.  I'll travel Aqua Class for my shorter/Caribbean trips and Royal or Signature (Reflection only) class on European/Asia/South Pacific ones.  Most likely means 1 Suite booked every other year due to costs.

I've posted .jpgs of the announcement for Sky Suites Below and included Celebrity Suite for comparison.

Shame on you Celebrity!

CS Changes.jpg

3-28-24 SS Change.jpg

Edited by katenmax2
Correction
  • Like 1

On Beyond right now and have had two separate rooms service cards over the course of the cruise. 

20240328_175120-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.dcd9d017ccf160e42739233b24dde4b6.jpg

No one has been able to explain what the advertised "Luminae room service breakfast menu" actually is or has offered it.  The above are not labeled as Luminae and food comes from main room service. 

Screenshot_20231023_145100_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.21bf14acd0dc09dfaf106eb3aa78707f.jpg

Butler has been responsive, but we have had to be proactive with requests for daily snacks and other basic requests.  

2 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

Celebrity emailed out another change to Retreat Class today in the Captain's Club Newsletter. 

Celebrity suites and below will no longer receive any complimentary beverages in their mini-fridge.

All class of Sky Suites (Including Sunset and Horizon) will NOT have a dedicated butler.  Only a Butler and Retreat "TEAM".  This appears to be a reversal of their previous notices that a dedicated butler will be returned to all classes of SS.  Appears yet another rebranding of their unsuccessful Retreat Team concept. I called the onshore Retreat Concierge to verify the newsletter information.  She stated no more dedicated butlers and complimentary mini-fridge stocking for less than Royal Suites/Signature Suites on all ships.  More amenities will be added for upper class suites and only the Penthouse and Edge Villas will have the dedicated (more likely than not shared) butlers.  SAD!

I am giving up on booking anything below a Royal Suite on Celebrity.  I'll travel Aqua Class for my shorter/Caribbean trips and Royal or Signature (Reflection only) class on European/Asia/South Pacific ones.  Most likely means 1 Suite booked every other year due to costs.

I've posted .jpgs of the announcement for Sky Suites Below and included Celebrity Suite for comparison.

Shame on you Celebrity!

CS Changes.jpg

3-28-24 SS Change.jpg

Looking forward to hearing more about this.  Will they fire the butlers again?!  Btw, staff must be forbidden from saying fired.  Keep getting party line that butlers were offered housekeeping and other roles.  (Is that how much qualification a butler needed).  

As for the new cutbacks, 25k or higher they should be picking one up at the airport and facilitating everything and everything and rice guests a mobile connection to the butler. 

We missed breakfast today at Luminae while they were still serving food (just not seating, and many still waiting for meals) and only wanted a bowl of oatmeal and berries.  Obtained oatmeal from OVC and berries from lounge after asking nicely in lounge while staff stops around, had response been the same in an upper suite or paying today's prevailing rates, 25k plus should have the retreat staff go down a flight of stairs to obtain a bowl of oatmeal or allow room service.  Any Marriott would have done that for any guest of any status. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

On Beyond right now and have had two separate rooms service cards over the course of the cruise. 

No one has been able to explain what the advertised "Luminae room service breakfast menu" actually is or has offered it.  The above are not labeled as Luminae and food comes from main room service. 

Screenshot_20231023_145100_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.21bf14acd0dc09dfaf106eb3aa78707f.jpg

Butler has been responsive, but we have had to be proactive with requests for daily snacks and other basic requests.  

Luminae room service menu is now exclusively available to only the very high end of suites. CS and SS receive the regular menu.  As an FYI for all, the regular room servicec menu is from the Oceanview Cafe kitchen.  Canned, prepared and frozen foods (including the eggs) are the offerings.  I find them to be disgusting.

Edited by katenmax2
spelling

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

Luminae room service menu is now exclusively available to only the very high end of suites. CS and SS receive the regular menu.  As an FYI for all, the regular room servicec menu is from the Oceanview Cafe kitchen.  Canned, prepared and frozen foods (including the eggs) are the offerings.  I find them to be disgusting.

Not disagreeing, except it's not what was and is presently advertised.  

Edited by Cap_D

FWIW, I think it's important to substantiate that the vast number of guests sailing in retreat do not get most of what is promoted in writing or in practice what is actually provided, although the a la carte pricing of promotions like included pant pressing for upper suites does not justify the cost differential.  Yet, for 15k or more per room above a CS pant pressing should be included. 

Well… after this year of yo-yo ups and downs with celebrity constantly pulling the rug out from under us and consistently watering down the experience we paid top dollar for, I’m pretty sure we will be a one and done.  I’m too tired of it to even be mad anymore.  If I could cancel, I would.  I’m just done.  Gonna make the best of it and call it a lesson learned.  Hope the extra few dollars they squeezed out of us by not giving us what we paid for (a butler) was worth it to them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, katenmax2 said:

All class of Sky Suites (Including Sunset and Horizon) will NOT have a dedicated butler.  Only a Butler and Retreat "TEAM".  This appears to be a reversal of their previous notices that a dedicated butler will be returned to all classes of SS.  Appears yet another rebranding of their unsuccessful Retreat Team concept. I called the onshore Retreat Concierge to verify the newsletter information.  She stated no more dedicated butlers and complimentary mini-fridge stocking for less than Royal Suites/Signature Suites on all ships.  More amenities will be added for upper class suites and only the Iconic, Penthouse and Edge Villas will have the dedicated (more likely than not shared) butlers.  SAD!

Shame on you Celebrity!

{{{{Snip}}}}

I really think this has to be a mistake where somebody linked to old info. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was another proofreading fail.

Can’t imagine Celebrity management would be crazy enough to reverse direction on this failed experiment so quickly.  Will be watching closely to see how this plays out.

Jane

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just as I was starting to think that perhaps things would work out...then X does it to me *again*...

I was just getting to the point of 'forgive and forget'...but if this latest turn about is true...well, like the song goes: "we won't be fooled again"...

I'm with you @Octavias...too tired of it all to be mad.

But I'm gonna enjoy our April cruise anyhow...that's up to us, and I expect nothing from them...after all, that's how they've set my expectations isn't it??

ETA: BTW, I am hoping that this turnabout ends up being just hearsay...

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, katenmax2 said:

Shame on you Celebrity!

CS Changes.jpg

3-28-24 SS Change.jpg

Can you post what you actually received? What you're saying directly contradicts what people are currently seeing onboard and what everyone up to the Celebrity President has publicly stated.

The minifridge has NEVER been included as a matter of policy. It's frequently been restocked by butlers as a form of customer service. But that is NOT a change.

Retreat Butler and team has been on the web page for months. Did it change to reflect the return of butlers and change back? 

Celebrity is far from perfect and doing a great job of shooting themselves in the foot, but I'm sorry, your post makes no sense. The info on the web page that you're showing is the "official" current state as they bring back butler servie.

There is no there here!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

I really think this has to be a mistake where somebody linked to old info. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was another proofreading fail.

Can’t imagine Celebrity management would be crazy enough to reverse direction on this failed experiment so quickly.  Will be watching closely to see how this plays out.

Jane

Exactly. There are multiple posts in this thread of butlers returning. The language linked is the language that's been there for months, and is technically true today. But, as reflected in this thread changing ship by ship.

Ironically, I emailed the executive office earlier today before I saw this latest asking for clarification regarding the workload of the returning butlers.  We will see what they say! 

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Exactly. There are multiple posts in this thread of butlers returning. The language linked is the language that's been there for months, and is technically true today. But, as reflected in this thread changing ship by ship.

She also stated in one sentence that only Royal Suite and above and then she said Iconic, PH and EV, leaving out Royal?  I called Celebrity after seeing this because I am in a RS early next year, they assured me dedicated butler in RS.  The CSR also said the butler re-rollout is still in effect for other suites as they have been advertising.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

Jane

Not a mistake and not old information.  All celebrity Retreat details were updated today.  The info posted came directly from today's Captain's Club Newsletter Update for the Retreat.  Is easily verified by going straight to the Celebrity website, calling the onshore Retreat concierge and/or reading your emailed newsletter and following the link provided.  Trying to book a suite now and as of this evening, the Butler is completely removed from SS and "Team" inserted in it's place.  

Since Celebrity retracts info, allows individuals to book expecting mini bar refills and a butler, then collects the inflated prices while retracting once one books, the situation falls under false enticement and is open to a lawsuit by all individuals affected by daily updates.  Celebrity's disclaimer on their ability to change terms and conditions after booking will never be upheld in any court here in the United States.  I would know as I am a retired attorney.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Liao said:

She also stated in one sentence that only Royal Suite and above and then she said Iconic, PH and EV, leaving out Royal?  I called Celebrity after seeing this because I am in a RS early next year, they assured me dedicated butler in RS.  The CSR also said the butler re-rollout is still in effect for other suites as they have been advertising.

I would enjoy learning who you spoke with on Celebrity!  I called the Retreat Concierge after receiving the email today.  She verified the newsletter is correct and that the present butler team approach is in affect for all Sky Suite categories. Please READ your newsletter before making false accusations. I'm also in a Royal Suite on a future cruise.  The Luminae breakfast is removed as is a dedicated butler. Butlers will be approaching all but the top suites (Royal Excluded) in a Team approach.  They will be butlers but not dedicated.  You may see several different butlers on any one cruise.  They will service MANY other cabins as well as Royal Suite cabins.  

It truly waits to be seen how Celebrity will implement these new roll outs announced today.

Edited by katenmax2
Adding information

20 minutes ago, markeb said:

Can you post what you actually received? What you're saying directly contradicts what people are currently seeing onboard and what everyone up to the Celebrity President has publicly stated.

The minifridge has NEVER been included as a matter of policy. It's frequently been restocked by butlers as a form of customer service. But that is NOT a change.

Retreat Butler and team has been on the web page for months. Did it change to reflect the return of butlers and change back? 

Celebrity is far from perfect and doing a great job of shooting themselves in the foot, but I'm sorry, your post makes no sense. The info on the web page that you're showing is the "official" current state as they bring back butler servie.

There is no there here!

Not the OP, but the information is in sub-links through the “More Reasons to stay in the Retreat” section of today’s Captain’s Club email.

First link is:https://click.na.celebritycruises.com/?qs=00a817ab5a394becb2746c283946e0d68202520daed02eceaf0e09bb1459bad2219b53398bf2bf281385a10052cc016603468b09bea7ef04a318f3f8397d0edc

Which takes you to  “TAKE YOUR SAILING TO THE NEXT LEVEL WITH THE RETREAT” LEARN MORE link:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/suite-class?icid=xplrsh_wrnssn_thr_hm_other_162

From there, you have to click on “all suites” and drill down into the pages for each suite category (and expand the listing along the way) to see what they list as included with each category. 

I’m not convinced any of this is up-to-date regarding the Team vs Dedicated Butler reinstatement because the stated effective date isn’t until June.

I also agree with you that the mini fridge stocking has not been an official perk for suites below RS in the past. It’s just something nice that proactive butlers have done for us these past several years — since we always have a premium beverage package.

The sad thing about all this is that Celebrity created this atmosphere of distrust by throwing so many cutbacks up to see what would stick.

Jane

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, markeb said:

There is no there here!

How many of you are travel agents, Zenith members and online Bullies?  I expect to get what I paid for. Always have.  For doubters, I suggest you read today's Captain's Club Newsletter and follow the links for the changes to the Retreat.  Do a faux booking then look at the details for the suite you booked.  As of this evening, Butler has been completeley removed from all Sky Suite details whereas it was there this afternoon when I originally posted this update.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

I would enjoy learning who you spoke with on Celebrity!  I called the Retreat Concierge after receiving the email today.  She verified the newsletter is correct and that the present butler team approach is in affect for all Sky Suite categories. Please READ your newsletter before making false accusations. I'm also in a Royal Suite on a future cruise.  The Luminae breakfast is removed as is a dedicated butler. Butlers will be approaching all but the top suites (Royal Excluded) in a Team approach.  They will be butlers but not dedicated.  You may see several different butlers on any one cruise.  They will service MANY other cabins as well as Royal Suite cabins.  

It truly waits to be seen how Celebrity will implement these new roll outs announced today.

Sorry but I did not make any false accusations, I actually made no accusations at all.  I simply stated what YOU said in your post.  I then shared what I was told when I called Celebrity.  I'm not on a ship thus I cannot READ the newsletter, because I don't have one.  Frankly there are so so many different comments here about butlers, teams etc etc I have whiplash from reading them.  At this point, I take my info directly from Celebrity,  Enjoy your cruise.

1 minute ago, JaneStarr said:

Not the OP, but the information is in sub-links through the “More Reasons to stay in the Retreat” section of today’s Captain’s Club email.

First link is:https://click.na.celebritycruises.com/?qs=00a817ab5a394becb2746c283946e0d68202520daed02eceaf0e09bb1459bad2219b53398bf2bf281385a10052cc016603468b09bea7ef04a318f3f8397d0edc

Which takes you to  “TAKE YOUR SAILING TO THE NEXT LEVEL WITH THE RETREAT” LEARN MORE link:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/suite-class?icid=xplrsh_wrnssn_thr_hm_other_162

From there, you have to click on “all suites” and drill down into the pages for each suite category (and expand the listing along the way) to see what they list as included with each category. 

I’m not convinced any of this is up-to-date regarding the Team vs Dedicated Butler reinstatement because the stated effective date isn’t until June.

I also agree with you that the mini fridge stocking has not been an official perk for suites below RS in the past. It’s just something nice that proactive butlers have done for us these past several years — since we always have a premium beverage package.

The sad thing about all this is that Celebrity created this atmosphere of distrust by throwing so many cutbacks up to see what would stick.

Jane

Thank you Jane for posting the links. I should have included in my original post.  Celebrity updated all classes of suites this evening. I tried to book a Sky Suite on Ascent for next November.  The butler and any reference to "Team" was removed from my included amenities.

2 hours ago, katenmax2 said:

We just got off beyond in a SS.  We had a dedicated butler and we also had the Retreat Room Service Menu which was delivered by our butler and it was  definitely NOT canned, pre prepared or frozen!  I don’t know where you are getting your information but it’s not correct!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

Jane

So that links to what was there a month ago, the last time I looked. Celebrity doesn't put as of dates on their web pages and I'm not seeing a date in their code. But this looks old.

Did anyone see a version of the retreat that included butlers for sky suites a week ago? Or is this just last month's (last several month's actually) information.

I'm not saying Celebrity couldn't do something blatantly stupid, but this link looks like old information. And the newsletter just takes you to the link for the Retreat you could get to all along.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

From a mock booking just now on Eclipse:  

Stateroom amenities

• Sleeps 4. 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom. 499 sqft
  • Large balcony with dedicated dining space
  • Twice the size of ship's standard stateroom
  • Veranda with lounge seating
  • Floor-to-ceiling sliding-glass doors
  • King sized CashmereTM Mattress featuring our Exclusive eXhale® bedding
  • Trundle bed in some suites
  • Plentiful storage space
  • Spacious sitting area with sofa
  • Daily delivery of afternoon savories
  • Afternoon tea event hosted in The Retreat Lounge
  • Complimentary 24-hour room service
  • Complimentary use of golf umbrella and binoculars
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • Butler
  • Dedicated pre-cruise Retreat Concierge.
  • Onboard Retreat Concierge
  • Priority check-in, departure, and port tendering/boarding
  • Reserved theater seating on Evening Chic nights
  • Exclusive access to Luminae at The Retreat
  • Complimentary 24-hour in-suite dining, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of sparkling wine
  • Complimentary in-suite specialty coffees
  • Fresh fruit delivered upon request
  • Premium bathroom amenities
  • Plush bedroom slippers and 100% cotton bathrobes
  • Stateroom Automation
  • Like 1

Just now, Liao said:

Sorry but I did not make any false accusations, I actually made no accusations at all.  I simply stated what YOU said in your post.  I then shared what I was told when I called Celebrity.  I'm not on a ship thus I cannot READ the newsletter, because I don't have one.  Frankly there are so so many different comments here about butlers, teams etc etc I have whiplash from reading them.  At this point, I take my info directly from Celebrity,  Enjoy your cruise.

This information came directly from Celebrity.  Was in an email from Captain's Club sent out this afternoon. I don't know what individuals aboard ships now are saying as the updated information may not have been relayed to the crews yet.  

I guess we will discover the real deal once aboard.  I just expect to receive what was advertised as included without having the downgraded levels of service and offerings which Celebrity has instituted in all classes of service.  Removing onboard credits, gratuities and downgrading the food and wine offerings is unexcuseable.  Is a well-known complaint within the entire Royal Caribbean Cruiseline families. 

My latest booking in a Royal Suite is $17,570 for an 8 day cruise to Aruba on Ascent.  Last year on Beyond (same cruise), it was only a bit over $9K with an onboard credit of $800 and gratuities included. That is double the cost.

11 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

How many of you are travel agents, Zenith members and online Bullies?  I expect to get what I paid for. Always have.  For doubters, I suggest you read today's Captain's Club Newsletter and follow the links for the changes to the Retreat.  Do a faux booking then look at the details for the suite you booked.  As of this evening, Butler has been completeley removed from all Sky Suite details whereas it was there this afternoon when I originally posted this update.

I just did a mock booking for a SS on Beyond and Retreat Butler is still listed.  I read today’s newsletter and I am not finding the information on changes to Retreat you state.  

• Like 1