Is your Sky Suite butler back? Please report

4 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

This information came directly from Celebrity.  Was in an email from Captain's Club sent out this afternoon. I don't know what individuals aboard ships now are saying as the updated information may not have been relayed to the crews yet.  

I guess we will discover the real deal once aboard.  I just expect to receive what was advertised as included without having the downgraded levels of service and offerings which Celebrity has instituted in all classes of service.  Removing onboard credits, gratuities and downgrading the food and wine offerings is unexcuseable.  Is a well-known complaint within the entire Royal Caribbean Cruiseline families. 

My latest booking in a Royal Suite is $17,570 for an 8 day cruise to Aruba on Ascent.  Last year on Beyond (same cruise), it was only a bit over $9K with an onboard credit of $800 and gratuities included. That is double the cost.

Now regards the costs, I agree, absolutely much more expensive.  In Oct. 2022 I paid $14K for a 14 day TA in an Edge Villa on the Edge.  In Dec. 2023, I paid $12.5K for 9 nights in Celebrity Suite on the Summit.  Both excellent cruises and great service, and I knew going in that the costs had risen a lot, but I still do so willingly.

At this point, I'm not believing anything until I experience it myself. In April. As I've said before, I'll post my experience here upon my return. (Around April 22nd or so...)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It must be true. I read it in a Captain’s Club email. 🙄

Which links to a web page with no as of date. Please…

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

We just got off beyond in a SS.  We had a dedicated butler and we also had the Retreat Room Service Menu which was delivered by our butler and it was  definitely NOT canned, pre prepared or frozen!  I don’t know where you are getting your information but it’s not correct!

Sailed early March in a SS to Eastern Caribbean on Apex.  Was informed we did not have a butler nor "Retreat Team." Normal Cabin attendant cleaned the room and that is all. Only 1x per day.  Room service was charged as were any sodas, water and beers ordered.  Retreat Concierge had to take off those charges as they were included.  I posted pics of what was delivered for breakfast and the meals were inedible.  Same items are available in the OV cafe. Never heard from Head Butler and no cards were placed in our cabin for anyone but room attendant.  We rarely saw him and he had a bad attitude if we asked for anything other than room cleaning.  

We didn't expect to have a butler per Celebrity's notification but not providing ice, water, beach towels nor Retreat tote bag was unacceptable.  Cabin attendant stated none of these amenities were included with a Sky Suite. Charges placed for Ocean View kitchen normal menu breakfast were also unacceptable.  The Apex Retreat concierge did inform us butlers were returning in June but rollout would be slow and may change as Celebrity is having a difficult time rehiring and/or training butler staff.  

We are low maintenance passengers.  We ask butlers, at most, for a decent breakfast daily with speciality coffees from Al Bacio.  On our cruise, that came with an added charge. 

Just my personal experience from an actual cruise in March.  Last year on Beyond we had a similar experience in a Sky Suite (but not the Royal Suite a couple of months later).  The plans to end butlers in a SS may have been in try out mode but we did receive the mini-fridge stocked and breakfast was not from the OV cafe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Looking forward to hearing more about this.  Will they fire the butlers again?!  Btw, staff must be forbidden from saying fired.  Keep getting party line that butlers were offered housekeeping and other roles.  (Is that how much qualification a butler needed).  

As for the new cutbacks, 25k or higher they should be picking one up at the airport and facilitating everything and everything and rice guests a mobile connection to the butler. 

We missed breakfast today at Luminae while they were still serving food (just not seating, and many still waiting for meals) and only wanted a bowl of oatmeal and berries.  Obtained oatmeal from OVC and berries from lounge after asking nicely in lounge while staff stops around, had response been the same in an upper suite or paying today's prevailing rates, 25k plus should have the retreat staff go down a flight of stairs to obtain a bowl of oatmeal or allow room service.  Any Marriott would have done that for any guest of any status. 

Intetesting reduction in services on X except for the highest level suites yet prices stay  high!

By comparison...When we booked a Concierge/suite level at Nassau Sandals all inclusive some years ago...(post Sandy)

we were picked up by pvt car at the airport,  greeted at a private reception area with champagne and fruit  for check.in... Our luggage was taken to.our room... 

The Concierge (?) took us to our ocean view  balcony rm,  went over all amenities and  took a list of how  we wanted the fridge and bar  and snacks stocked.. Ongoing, Concierge team made dinner and other res for us..

We felt  pampered.  The.price back then compared same as price for a Reflection  AQ Class cruise we cancelled for the same week..  No extra charges except for the spa and shopping!  (Spa prices and services were much less than X)

We are thinking of goibg all inclusive after  our next  few cruises!

Just did a mock booking on the beyond. Sky suite description description is personalized butler service. Upper suites Royal and above says butler. 
celebrity suite and below - 

• Retreat Butler and team

royal suite and above -

Butler

image.thumb.jpeg.2948b0ae8bb15d08bed9230280be73b2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7fc36e34c42f86ad9c37a222e0825cd4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, katenmax2 said:

Sailed early March in a SS to Eastern Caribbean on Apex.  Was informed we did not have a butler nor "Retreat Team." Normal Cabin attendant cleaned the room and that is all. Only 1x per day.  Room service was charged as were any sodas, water and beers ordered.  Retreat Concierge had to take off those charges as they were included.  I posted pics of what was delivered for breakfast and the meals were inedible.  Same items are available in the OV cafe. Never heard from Head Butler and no cards were placed in our cabin for anyone but room attendant.  We rarely saw him and he had a bad attitude if we asked for anything other than room cleaning.  

We didn't expect to have a butler per Celebrity's notification but not providing ice, water, beach towels nor Retreat tote bag was unacceptable.  Cabin attendant stated none of these amenities were included with a Sky Suite. Charges placed for Ocean View kitchen normal menu breakfast were also unacceptable.  The Apex Retreat concierge did inform us butlers were returning in June but rollout would be slow and may change as Celebrity is having a difficult time rehiring and/or training butler staff.  

We are low maintenance passengers.  We ask butlers, at most, for a decent breakfast daily with speciality coffees from Al Bacio.  On our cruise, that came with an added charge. 

Just my personal experience from an actual cruise in March.  Last year on Beyond we had a similar experience in a Sky Suite (but not the Royal Suite a couple of months later).  The plans to end butlers in a SS may have been in try out mode but we did receive the mini-fridge stocked and breakfast was not from the OV cafe. 

Sorry you had a bad experience but our experience was the opposite.  We just got off Beyond last week.  Dedicated butler who brought great, hot breakfasts, brought water, diet cokes and ice tea numerous times.  Our room attendant gave us the Celebrity bag, card holders and filled ice bucket twice a day.  He also left beach towels.  Our butler also asked us numerous times if he could bring specialty coffees, drinks from bars or food.  My husband had a medical situation and had to pack his bags in case he was not given a “fit to sail” letter from doctor In Cartagena.  The butler kept calling and asking me if I need anything or if I heard from my husband.  He also stated if we had to get off ship he would be there to help us.  Note that this was first sailing on Beyond that dedicated butlers were back.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We are sailing in a MCSS for our upcoming Alaska cruise.  We decided to pay for a suite for Luminae because I have a food allergy. Unless Luminae is absolutely top-notch, we will probably go back to our Concierge class cabins.

I expect nothing more from our Magic Carpet Sky Suite than what we have in a Concierge Class cabin.   At this rate, it seems like it won't be long until sky suites are removed from the Retreat altogether. 

I think Celebrity is shooting themselves in the foot.  It seems like the people at Celebrity are taking a page from Boeing's "corporate suite" level decision-making.   They are ruining what used to be a great product. 😆

Edited by screwsmcernst
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

Sorry you had a bad experience but our experience was the opposite.  We just got off Beyond last week.  Dedicated butler who brought great, hot breakfasts, brought water, diet cokes and ice tea numerous times.  Our room attendant gave us the Celebrity bag, card holders and filled ice bucket twice a day.  He also left beach towels.  Our butler also asked us numerous times if he could bring specialty coffees, drinks from bars or food.  My husband had a medical situation and had to pack his bags in case he was not given a “fit to sail” letter from doctor In Cartagena.  The butler kept calling and asking me if I need anything or if I heard from my husband.  He also stated if we had to get off ship he would be there to help us.  Note that this was first sailing on Beyond that dedicated butlers were back. In May, our RS butler was Rupert and he was very attentive - much like your experience now on Beyond. 

It sounds as though you had a great sailing!  Beyond is a beautiful ship. Last year in April, the entire crew was new (staff contracts ended) and Captain Kate was absent. Marie was our butler and she did the best she could but had 24 cabins to service and informed us SS were lowest priority. She did bring us delicious breakfast, specialty coffees and stocked our fridge but we had to ask to meet her for 2 days before service took place.  Apex was such a drastic change, I questioned ever sailing on Celebrity again in a SS. Josef was our attendant. The shipboard staff were wonderful as always but the Josef acting as a butler was a sore point as he obviously wasn't trained in any butler and SS amenities or services. Room service food was rotten and after the 2nd day, we wouldn't order any further.  Easy to pop up to the Retreat lounge and grab some bites.

Guess we'll see how the June cruise in a Signature Suite on Reflection will change my present attitude.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

We are sailing in a MCSS for our upcoming Alaska cruise.  We decided to pay for a suite for Luminae because I have a food allergy.  It seems like it won't be long until sky suites are removed from the Retreat altogether.   Unless Luminae is absolutely top-notch, we will probably go back to our Concierge class cabins.  I think Celebrity is shooting themselves in the foot.  It seems like the people at Celebrity are taking a page from Boeing's "corporate suite" level decision making.   They are ruining what use to be a great product. 😆

I see the SS being removed as well unless the current CEO is replaced. I sure miss Lisa.  

On the bright side, you will enjoy the MCSS on Edge.  Big balcony and a nice light/music show when the magic carpet passes 2x at night. They are my favorite SS class when available.  Bathtub accessibility is also better than regular SS and that separate vanity in the bathroom was convenient👩

• Like 2

5 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

We are sailing in a MCSS for our upcoming Alaska cruise.  We decided to pay for a suite for Luminae because I have a food allergy. Unless Luminae is absolutely top-notch, we will probably go back to our Concierge class cabins.

I expect nothing more from our Magic Carpet Sky Suite than what we have in a Concierge Class cabin.   At this rate, it seems like it won't be long until sky suites are removed from the Retreat altogether. 

I think Celebrity is shooting themselves in the foot.  It seems like the people at Celebrity are taking a page from Boeing's "corporate suite" level decision-making.   They are ruining what used to be a great product. 😆

We too chose the Retreat experience, in part, because of my food allergies.  I was looking forward to the luxury we paid for however as it will be a bucket list trip for me.  Ever since we booked, almost a year ago, they have been chipping away at the product we purchased to the point that it’s hardly the same product at all!   One of the things I was relying on was being able to have the steak whenever I’m allergic to the menu offerings.  Now, I have to pay 10.00 for that too! 

3 hours ago, Octavias said:

We too chose the Retreat experience, in part, because of my food allergies.  I was looking forward to the luxury we paid for however as it will be a bucket list trip for me.  Ever since we booked, almost a year ago, they have been chipping away at the product we purchased to the point that it’s hardly the same product at all!   One of the things I was relying on was being able to have the steak whenever I’m allergic to the menu offerings.  Now, I have to pay 10.00 for that too! 

I don't think so.  I substitute steak in Luminae a lot, and never ever had a charge.  Why do you think that?

14 hours ago, katenmax2 said:

I called the onshore Retreat Concierge to verify the newsletter information.  She stated no more dedicated butlers and complimentary mini-fridge stocking for less than Royal Suites/Signature Suites on all ships. 

It’s unfortunate conflicting information is shared in telephone calls. Butlers are still advertised for Celebrity Suites and I see nothing in the newsletter that would suggest otherwise.

We have always viewed the mini fridge as offside whenever we were in a suite lower than a Royal Suite, so no big deal to us. 

It’s going to be a marketing nightmare for Celebrity to announce the return of butlers to Sky Suites only to have a change of heart and continue with the Retreat Team. 

Too many marketing nightmares can shorten the career of a President very quickly. It might take some time to implement the butlers back to Sky Suites shipwide, but that seems to be a trend (eg-the single supplement pricing vs double occupant pricing for the same stateroom is still not fixed on line). That single supplement overcharge marketing blunder was formally rescinded a while back.

I think it’s fair to say that changes (both good and bad) are a part of life in everything we do. Celebrity’s challenge is ensuring these changes are implemented and applied on a consistent basis shipwide. So far, that has proven to be a challenge that has not yet been conquered.

Randy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Octavias said:

Why do you think that you will be paying a $10.00 up charge in Luminae?  For what?

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 3:32 AM, Northern Aurora said:

We boarded the Millennium several hours ago.  We are in an Aqua Sky Suite.  We have met the head butler, and asked about dedicated butlers.  The answer is not yet.

Any idea when?  As you know we have a vested interest in this 😀

6 hours ago, Octavias said:

Have you let Celebrity/RCL know of your allergies?  I m anaphylactic to a common food. Luminae is doing a great job ensuring I am safe and not hungry.  they do try hard to accommodate.   (The upcharge for steak maybe in MDR)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

you might also consider AQ Class with BLU.. they are able to customize.

Posted (edited)

We are on the Millennium right now 12 night Best of Japan in a Sky Suite.  We do not have a dedicated Butler like we had pre Covid.  We have a “Head Butler” and a “Retreat Host”.  I will say though, the Head Butler has made a point to check on us.  We haven’t really had a chance to put him to the test other than he made a point tonight to come by with a card and goodies for my birthday and let us know about a couple things tomorrow.  No complaints!  He said he’d bring us our lattes in the morning if we wanted them.  We aren’t the type that need to empty our fridge and fill it up with cans and bottles brought back from the retreat lounge.  We get a suite for the extra space and option for dining.

Edited by MandL
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

Have you let Celebrity/RCL know of your allergies?  I m anaphylactic to a common food. Luminae is doing a great job ensuring I am safe and not hungry.  they do try hard to accommodate.   (The upcharge for steak maybe in MDR)

Yes, I’ve let them know and will continue to “remind” at every meal.  I also carry an Epi pen for my dangerous allergy.  One of the reasons we chose Celebrity is because we heard they are very careful about allergies in Luminae.   Thanks for sharing your experience!  It’s reassuring to hear. 😊

I buy them for the balconies, private hot tubs, and unmatched views, which are (almost) priceless. 😃

The service, unlimited specialty dining, drinks, rooms themselves are likewise quite good. At least insofar as my experience has been.

I do agree with some of the sentiment here,... Celebrity appears to have sold a bill of goods to the Sky and Celebrity level cabins.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Tryng to stay on top of all this, am I reading correctly that SS once again have the dedicated butler removed after saying they are bringing them back? 

Not confirmed. Here's what's actually in the online newsletter:

There’s never been a better time to book The Retreat for your next sailing. With a pair of new and exclusive offerings, guests of our top suites will enjoy further elevated services within our all-suite enclave, which features a private restaurant, unlimited specialty dining for lunch and dinner, resort-style lounge, and sundeck*, and a dedicated team of Butlers, concierges, and attendants.

Ensure that you look flawless throughout your cruise with new Unlimited Complimentary Pressing of your wardrobe to accompany daily Complimentary Laundry Service for guests sailing in Royal Suites and above. Also, Guests of The Retreat staying in a Royal, Penthouse, Reflection, Iconic Suite or Edge Villa can indulge in more hours onboard with the addition of complimentary Extend Your Stay access.* The program offers you the option of remaining onboard and relaxing on disembarkation day in specific ports, allowing access to luggage storage, public areas, continued use of your Premium Drink and Wi-Fi packages, and lunch before you depart. So, treat yourself to our finest accommodations and service, and we’ll treat you to a vacation you’ll never forget.

With a link to the Retreat page on Celebrity. Those pages still have the Retreat team language for Sky Suites. Note that even the newsletter uses "dedicated team of Butlers, concierges, and attendants" when largely talking about the higher level suites.

The Retreat link goes to what appears to be the same language that's been there for months. Which makes some sense as they've been in the process of bringing back Butlers. There are multiple posts in this thread of Butlers returning to SS on current cruises. Give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

It would hardly be the first time that Celebrity marketing didn't match reality, or that someone on the phone gave an inaccurate answer...

Edited by markeb
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Tryng to stay on top of all this, am I reading correctly that SS once again have the dedicated butler removed after saying they are bringing them back? 

From the sound of it, they have once again decided to promote their butlers to room stewards.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Octavias said:

Yes, I’ve let them know and will continue to “remind” at every meal.  I also carry an Epi pen for my dangerous allergy.  One of the reasons we chose Celebrity is because we heard they are very careful about allergies in Luminae.   Thanks for sharing your experience!  It’s reassuring to hear. 😊

I have an index card that lists my allergies and laminated it . When cruising, I stick cabin number on back.  A restaurant owner suggested years ago to do this as kitchens get busy.  
FYI. They give me the menu for next day and my food is prepared differently as necessary such as perhaps no sauce.  I ve also had things off menu.    Luminae is great.  I trust them

• Like 1