Is your Sky Suite butler back? Please report

22 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

All I can say is that I had the name of a specific butler to call, she was definitely NOT a stateroom attendant, made herself extremely visible (I saw her almost every time I left my stateroom) and was willing to help with anything I asked for. 3 people were retreat concierges for my sailing.

Did you get a card, and did it say butler or head butler?  We've only had head butlers (all were responsive) and the card stated that.

Posted (edited)

On a very rainy Beyond now about to set sail from Fort Lauderdale:  We will be having a hybrid butler experience. 

Head Butler "Roger" reported that Celebrity hired back only half the number of dedicated butlers as pre-layoffs.  Yet, our intended assigned/dedicated butler is missing despite over 1,000 crew.  So, that means our butler is the Head Butler and he has an unknown number of additional suites to service and his supervising duties.  

Roger was cagey about the number of suites he is covering.  Also, he was very non suggestive about offering anything like afternoon snacks, water, or satisfying our pre cruise made requests.  He also had no knowledge of a "Luminae Room Service Breakfast Menu," which was not surprising despite it being an advertised feature.   We'll see how it goes. 

Aside: just observed two striped crew removing a cushioned chair from the Retreat Lounge and carry it off.  Presumably they just raided the lounge for extra room furniture.  

Edited by Cap_D

Dedicated butlers were returned to Eclipse Sky Suites effective with the March 2nd, 2024 sailing. No idea if they are fully staffed. Our friend’s SS butler had been demoted to a room steward and was moved back into the butler position on March 2nd

FWIW, on Beyond our room phone button for "Retreat Host" direct dials the room attendant and not anyone associated with the butler function or Retreat.  We were told this is an artifact of the no dedicated Butler period.  It's organized chaos.  And, access to the Butler is still dependent on chance encounters or proactive use of the ship phone.  Convenient to keep down use of half butler staffing (and an AWOL team member), but sloppy.  

On 3/19/2024 at 3:06 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

A week after I got my move up accepted, I emailed SolsticeRetreat and asked if I'd get a call.  No response.  About a week ago, I got a long emial from them asking for information.  I returned it with what they requested, and asked a couple of questions.  No response.  I also emailed a question over the weekend and no response on that either.

This phone number might help. I had a question regarding my upcoming cruise on Edge and the regular customer service transferred me over to the Retreat Concierge shoreside. 1-877-RETREAT, according to this:

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/CEL_The_Retreat_FAQs.pdf

It’s an older publication since it also talks about Zenith not being allowed in the Retreat, and they got their access back some months ago. Good luck and please report back on your success/failure in getting somebody to respond to your questions.

Just stepped aboard Edge.  We have a butler in our MC SS.  I specifically asked if he was a head butler and he said, “No”.  When he asked about how many suites he had he gave us the party line, “We cannot say.”  When we told him we heard it was 30 suites, he laughed and said, “23”.  We requested a couple of small things, swap champagne for red wine, bring some Red Bulls, etc.  He also emptied the fridge for us.  All accomplished in a timely manner 👍.

• Like 2

Greetings from Singapore, where I will soon know the status of Butlers on the Solstice.

It turns out this is going to be harder than I thought, since there's some discussion of what that means etc.   But I'll give it my best shot.

Confirmed:

Ascent

Beyond

Eclipse

Edge

Reflection

Possible: (some say yes, some say no):

Apex

Solstice

As always, let me know if I've missed anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Greetings from Singapore, where I will soon know the status of Butlers on the Solstice.

It turns out this is going to be harder than I thought, since there's some discussion of what that means etc.   But I'll give it my best shot.

Confirmed:

Ascent

Beyond

Eclipse

Edge

Reflection

Possible: (some say yes, some say no):

Apex

Solstice

As always, let me know if I've missed anything.

The Solstice is similar as the other ships that have the SS butlers back. Two new butlers arrived on the current sailing of the Solstice to take care of SS passengers. The SS passengers have received a card with a dedicated butler's name. The former head butler is on the current sailing and will be departing in Singapore - he will return as a regular butler in the future. Each SS butler has more rooms than before and the passenger response is being monitored to see if the number of butlers needs to increase to prior levels. Some have said that they do not consider this bringing the butlers back for SS because the numbers are not the same as in the past. Current SS butlers have 22+ rooms to take care of on all the ships that Celebrity says it has returned the butlers to the Sky Suites. So the Solstice is no different than the other ships.

• Like 1

We boarded Edge today and are staying in a sunset sky suite. The head butler checked in on us before sailing. He told us several times he was the head butler, but would be looking after us because the other  butler didn’t have his visa approved in time. He returned to check on us again just before dinner. We’re low maintenance guests but he has been very attentive.  

On board Apex in aqua sky suite. We have a butler she introduced herself on day 1. She was by today with waters for the fridge and to fill the champagne bucket with fresh ice. She has 23 suites so busy. But for what we need, it’s fine. We enjoy a stroll to Bacio in the AM, getting our cappuccino’s and sweets. Would rather do that than have delivery. Retreat concierge staff is splendid and will take care of anything you need.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 3:50 PM, billc23 said:

Then there are not butlers back in SS on any Celebrity ship. 

Currently on Edge. The head butler has come to our sky suite each day to check if we need anything. We  have three cards in our suite with the contact details for the head butler, 3 concierges and the cabin steward. There should be another butler as well, but there were visa issues. Apparently he will join the ship at the next port. 

Just off Silhouette in a Sky Suite. There was a card in our room listing the first name and title of  Head Butler. However, we never saw the butler, not even in the Retreat lounge. Our room steward took care of our minor requests and handled our laundry. One day I did call the butler's number to have our laundry picked up to ensure it would be ready in time before the cruise ended and he answered the phone with "This is _______ your butler."  He said he would take care of it but we had to call again several hours later. Laundry was finally picked up by an attendant about 5-6 hours after our original call.

Currently on the Edge. We don’t have our own butler. We have a head butler and our room attendant is still called Retreat host. We are on deck 9 mid ship and our friends are 8 aft and we have the same head butler. When asked our head butler said one butler didn’t show up.🤷‍♂️

24 minutes ago, jamscckmc said:

Currently on the Edge. We don’t have our own butler. We have a head butler and our room attendant is still called Retreat host. We are on deck 9 mid ship and our friends are 8 aft and we have the same head butler. When asked our head butler said one butler didn’t show up.🤷‍♂️

We are also currently on the Edge in a Sky Suite and we have a butler.  I specifically asked if he was a “Head Butler” and he said no.  He has been replenishing our bottled water and Red Bull for my husband each day.  He calls out our names if he sees us in the hall.  We have made a few requests which were taken care of.  My understanding is he has 23 suites to service which is about twice as many as prior to any changes.

After reporting three days ago we had a butler in a SS sky suite on Edge,he has disappeared.  Seconded to another ship. Before leaving he told us they’re working on arranging someone to replace him.

We really don’t have any need for a butler, but we haven’t seen or heard from a new butler, so I can now report we don’t have a butler!

We're currently on the Solstice in our moved up full suite, so we have a butler.  I asked him about the sky suite butlers, since we'll move to a Sky suite on the 9th of April.  He said that we would have a dedicated (not head) butler, but they are starting them with 22 plus or minus rooms.  His view is that they'll eventually have to reduce the number back. 

Our head butler on Beyond had over 50, so I guess that's an improvement.  

It looks like, to me, they are still trying to staff up to even 25 rooms per.  Maybe that's why they have June as the date.  I have two of my former butlers who were gone (one on maternity - the other wasn't plannign to come back) who are back. 

So for my Saturday post, it will be reported/oartially  back, because there's no way to know for sure if they're fully staffed.

So two different people on the same ship and one has a butler the other does not… I’m sorry I understand it will take a bit for staffing to be back to normal but that seems very unacceptable. They should get their staff together and roll it out at the same time. Just doesn’t seem right to me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Veinless said:

At least Celebrity refunded everyone for not being able to meet what they’d committed to when taking our money.

WoW!  We never received so much as a dime in refunds for no butlers on Apex despite paying full fare for a SS.  Any suggestions on how to recoop these losses?  In fact, the service attendant ("Retreat Host") even asked us to pay for any sodas and waters we wanted in the mini fridge (It was empty upon embarkation so we filled ourselves daily from the Retreat Lounge refrigerators). Ice was never brought to our cabin and no "sparkling wine" in the cabin upon embarkation. Breakfast room service came straight from the oceanview cafe and was inedible (see photos below - cold and uncooked pre-formed hash browns and canned hash. Plain Rye bread (we ordered toast) and below the toast were the "eggs benedict"). We were informed by the "Retreat Host" that specialty coffees, teas and alcoholic beverages were not included with room service in SS level cabins. After reviewing our bill and noticing the extra charges (plus 20% grat), we asked the Retreat Concierge to remove them and she did.  Looks as though the return of these "Butlers" is actually a smoke and mirrors game, designed for Celebrity profiting highly while reducing services.  It is our experience the present "Retreat Hosts" are ill informed and unaccustomed to servicing Retreat Level cabins.  They treated us as though we were booked in a standard cabin. Not our experience on the past 8 cruises in Sky and Royal Suites.

I am booked again in a full fare solo SS on Summit in October and a Sunset SS on Reflection in June.  Hopefully staffing and services will return to normal by then.  Will report back after the June cruise.

food2.JPG

food1.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shellyd22 said:

So two different people on the same ship and one has a butler the other does not… I’m sorry I understand it will take a bit for staffing to be back to normal but that seems very unacceptable. They should get their staff together and roll it out at the same time. Just doesn’t seem right to me. 

I agree with you! On Apex some SS had a dedicated butler while we did not.  We never even heard from nor were introduced to the head butler.  No cards were present in our suite.