"Needed" Items

4 hours ago, clo said:

No matter where I am, I later move the photo to my computer and can edit to my heart's content.

Well, I don't wear sunglasses when taking a photo, there's no point in putting a photo into PhotoShop if the top of the building is cut off, I don't have an Iphone.  Maybe if I wear a visor ... I'll do some experimenting.  Seems odd that all of you can see the display in bright sunlight, so I'll keep looking for a solution.  Thanks for the input ... I never give up.

3 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Well, I don't wear sunglasses when taking a photo, there's no point in putting a photo into PhotoShop if the top of the building is cut off, I don't have an Iphone.  Maybe if I wear a visor ... I'll do some experimenting.  Seems odd that all of you can see the display in bright sunlight, so I'll keep looking for a solution.  Thanks for the input ... I never give up.

Oh, I can't see at times like that. Whether I'm on a cruise or not, when we're back for the day I just email photos to myself and edit right there. Here's one from Norway.

I don't have an iPhone either. 

norwegianblue.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, I can't see at times like that. Whether I'm on a cruise or not, when we're back for the day I just email photos to myself and edit right there. Here's one from Norway.

I don't have an iPhone either. 

Emailing the photos to yourself is the very old fashioned way. My photos go to the cloud and I can edit them on my iPad or computer if they need editing. I could also transfer them directly offline with a USB C cable.

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Emailing the photos to yourself is the very old fashioned way. My photos go to the cloud and I can edit them on my iPad or computer if they need editing. I could also transfer them directly offline with a USB C cable.

I just looked at the instructions to transfer from my android phone to iCloud and honestly what I do is just  one step. But thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:
On 3/8/2024 at 10:54 AM, Charles4515 said:

I've never been into video, but -- yeah -- if you do like taking videos, you should make that a part of your choice.  Consider, too, that video eats up battery faster than still pictures.  

And, having taught photography for 18 years, I'm still a devotee of the "real camera".  Today's point-and-shoots have come a long way.  

A recent vintage iPhone, Samsung Galaxy or Google Pixel will beat a point and shoot camera. They use computational photography and AI to correct small sensors. Point and shoots don’t have that. They only have small sensors. What they won’t beat is a full frame or APS C size sensor for still photos. Since most tourists won’t be making large prints they don’t need an enthusiast camera. Most of us are viewing on screens and sending images and videos that will be viewed on screens. Probably a smartphone screen. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clo said:

I just looked at the instructions to transfer from my android phone to iCloud and honestly what I do is just  one step. But thanks.

For Android you would use Google Photos but there is no step. All my photos are automatically uploaded to iCloud. You should be able to do the same with an Android phone. Upload to Google Photos and sync automatically. 

• Like 1

The one reason that I don't solely use my phone is that I like a good zoom. I need close-up details of things that my iPhone camera can't capture.

I have a very small but not inexpensive Sony point and shoot that I put in my purse for times when I know I'll need it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

A recent vintage iPhone, Samsung Galaxy or Google Pixel will beat a point and shoot camera. They use computational photography and AI to correct small sensors. Point and shoots don’t have that. They only have small sensors. What they won’t beat is a full frame or APS C size sensor for still photos. Since most tourists won’t be making large prints they don’t need an enthusiast camera. Most of us are viewing on screens and sending images and videos that will be viewed on screens. Probably a smartphone screen. 

Thank you so, so much. So can I donate my point and shoot that I haven't used in years????

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

For Android you would use Google Photos but there is no step. All my photos are automatically uploaded to iCloud. You should be able to do the same with an Android phone. Upload to Google Photos and sync automatically. 

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I think older phones had this problem but my recent iPhone is fine and I can always see the image when it's sunny. So maybe try again if you have upgraded your phone since the last time you tried.

Edited by MacMadame

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

or ... I'll do some experimenting.  Seems odd that all of you can see the display in bright sunlight, so I'll keep looking for a solution. 

All screens are not equal so maybe it is your phone using older tech but try increasing your display brightness. 

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Positives of cameras:

- The lens on a new phone won't beat the lens on a good-quality point-and-shoot. 

- The batteries in a point-and-shoot will outlast a phone. 

- They're better for action shots, though not nearly as good as a DSL.  

Negatives: 

- It's easier to post to social media if your images are in your camera.  

- They require carrying a separate item.

Again, I taught photography for 18 years.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Positives of cameras:

- The lens on a new phone won't beat the lens on a good-quality point-and-shoot. 

- The batteries in a point-and-shoot will outlast a phone. 

- They're better for action shots, though not nearly as good as a DSL.  

Negatives: 

- It's easier to post to social media if your images are in your camera.  

- They require carrying a separate item.

Again, I taught photography for 18 years.

The computational software in a new phone will beat the software in any point and shoot. I always have the phone with me. Never have an issue with battery life as I buy the largest phone, iPhone Pro Max but I carry a power bank just in case. Video is much better than on point and shoots. Don’t know why you keep posting about teaching for 18 years. That does not really mean that much as for what is needed on cruise. I have been doing photography for 50 years including a couple of years as a photo journalist. If I was doing wildlife or sports I would bring my DSLR but for cruises and most travel, no longer. On an Alaska cruise for sure.  I don’t bring them anymore for cruises like in Europe. I have a shoebox full of point and shoots that are now obsolete because smartphone cameras have surpassed them. A point and shoot is pretty much a waste of money these days. I have three versions of the Sony RX 100 that were not inexpensive and they are not as good travel cameras as my iPhone 15 Pro Max. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The computational software in a new phone will beat the software in any point and shoot. I always have the phone with me. Never have an issue with battery life as I buy the largest phone, iPhone Pro Max but I carry a power bank just in case. Video is much better than on point and shoots. Don’t know why you keep posting about teaching for 18 years I had several teachers who were meh. I have been doing photography for 50 years including a couple of years as a photo journalist. If I was doing wildlife or sports I would bring my DSLR but for cruises and most travel, no longer. On an Alaska cruise for sure.  I don’t bring them anymore for cruises like in Europe. I have a shoebox full of point and shoots that are now obsolete because smartphone cameras have surpassed them. A point and shoot is pretty much a waste of money these days. I have three versions of the Sony RX 100 that were not inexpensive and they are not as good travel cameras as my iPhone 15 Pro Max. 

I agree!

To me, the choice is between an ILC -- preferably mirrorless -- and a smartphone.

On 3/10/2024 at 9:28 PM, jsn55 said:

I had similar issues until I changed my screen protector. I found the hard , "glass clear" protection caused too much reflection. I now get a matte finish protector and can see much better.  Many protectors have an option.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SeaStar102 said:

I had similar issues until I changed my screen protector. I found the hard , "glass clear" protection caused too much reflection. I now get a matte finish protector and can see much better.  Many protectors have an option.  

Ah, finally a solid suggestion that addresses my issue.  THANK YOU!!  I'm not sure there's anything more annoying than asking a question and reading multiple posts from people who don't have the issue.  I'm going to run right out and do some experimenting, SeaStar.  I really appreciate this. 

• Like 1