Seward to Anchorage trip information

Divvi

I have a few questions for those familiar with Seward, Alaska and Achorage,Alaska.

1. What is the best mode of transport from Seward to Anchorage?

2. Are there any places of interest in Seward or on the way from Seward to Anchorage? We are traveling with 3 kids - two of them are 5 yr olds and one is 8 year old

3. Is it worth spending one night at Anchorage after a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage?If yes, what places would you recommend in Anchorage?

Transportation between Seward and Anchorage is by either the Alaska Railroad or road.  Despite the fact that we fly everywhere in this state there is no commercial air service.

Motor coach transfers will be offered by the cruise line and there are also private companies; use google to locate them.  Generally cruise lines offer an early morning chartered train from the Seward cruise terminal to the Anchorage airport.  The Alaska Railroad offers early evening service from their Seward terminal to their Anchorage terminal.

Between Anchorage and Seward a nice family friendly stop is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.  

Instead of spending a night in Anchorage following your cruise consider staying in Seward instead.  Visit the Alaska SeaLife Center, Exit Glacier or the IdidaRide Sled Dog Tour offered by the Seavey family.  There are also lovely day trips (by boat) into the Kenai Fjords National Park.

And welcome to Cruise Critic.  I hope you enjoy your time in our special state.

I think staying in Seward is a great idea. A rental would give you the most options to stop along the way from Seward to Anchorage, if you could find a vehicle to accommodate everyone and  luggage. The kids would probably love the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. There are occasionally dall sheep at Windy Corner at Mile 106 that you could stop for. Sometimes beluga whales in the inlet and if you’re timing is good, the bore tide is a neat experience watching the standup paddle boarders ride the wave. You’d hit Potter Marsh and the boardwalk just prior to getting to Anchorage.

Be aware that the one-way drop off charge is $250+ for picking car up in Seward and dropping off in Anchorage. The bus is the most economical option. We chose to book the AK Railroad. GL!

I have found this to be the most challenging part of planning our trip post cruise - 6 adults and 5 children ages 5-11. We dock at 7:00 am and are spending day and night in Seward. We don't need to be back to Anchorage until time for our 9:00 pm or later flights the next day. The train would be too late. The morning bus would give us too much time at ANC with young kids and the afternoon bus is too late. 

We have reserved two minivans for a cost more than I ever could have imagined. I just hope they are actually available when we get there. I tried so many avenues...reaching out to various private drivers and nothing worked. Many maxed at 10 people. I am regretting that we are spending the night in Seward. I think we should have just spent the day and taken the night train or evening bus back to Anchorage and spent the night there to be in closer proximity to ANC. But we'll make the most of our very expensive minivan adventure from Seward to Anchorage. 

4 minutes ago, surgie said:

I have found this to be the most challenging part of planning our trip post cruise - 6 adults and 5 children ages 5-11. We dock at 7:00 am and are spending day and night in Seward. We don't need to be back to Anchorage until time for our 9:00 pm or later flights the next day. The train would be too late. The morning bus would give us too much time at ANC with young kids and the afternoon bus is too late. 

We have reserved two minivans for a cost more than I ever could have imagined. I just hope they are actually available when we get there. I tried so many avenues...reaching out to various private drivers and nothing worked. Many maxed at 10 people. I am regretting that we are spending the night in Seward. I think we should have just spent the day and taken the night train or evening bus back to Anchorage and spent the night there to be in closer proximity to ANC. But we'll make the most of our very expensive minivan adventure from Seward to Anchorage. 

I hope 5 years from now, you remember your amazing time in Seward and not the cost of the vans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I hope 5 years from now, you remember your amazing time in Seward and not the cost of the vans.

Of course I will - can't take it with you, right??!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Have you looked at booking a private transfer: https://www.bactrans.com/

Thank you. Yes I did. It's $2000 for a 14-passenger van to do the trip. That is more than the two rental minivans which I think are about $700 each for 24 hours. At least with the minivans we can make stops as we want with the kids and make it an adventure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our family of 13, 8 adults & 5 children, reserved Alaska Tours & Transfers all day private tour/transfer from the cruise ship to Anchorage this summer.  The price is less than $2000 & includes the narrated tour, admission to AK Wildlife Conservation Center, Girdwood Tram ride & lunch, plus Anchorage city tour.  We also added/paid for an additional hour at the end for the small children to play at a park/playplace or whatever works, before being dropped off at the airport. 

The nice thing is your group will be private and have a driver, luggage transfer & narration, as well as activities & lunch.  This price was cheaper than booking the shorter tour through the cruise line.  

I should say that our family's flights don't leave until later that evening.

We have not experienced this yet, but hopefully it will work as well as planned!

Driving yourself also has some benefits--enjoy.  

• Like 1