Sun Princess Signature suite questions answered!

Here's where are right now.  I honestly can't think of any other questions but if you have more, I'll take them.  I know that some of these have been answered already in other threads but i will still answers for myself to confirm them.

We leave for Rome on Wednesday night and board this ship on the 8th.

Signature Collection Questions

·       Overall experience

·       Embarkation experience (from Rome)

·       Sanctuary/Sun Deck

o   Overall experience

o   Aft view

o   Cost? 

o   Reserve Loungers? 

o   Shade?

o   Access to main area of Sanctuary? 

o   Sit in main area if Signature area is full? 

o   Food? 

o   Bar?

o   Price of cabanas?  Suites get first choice?  Reservation process.

o   Afternoon tea?

o   Kids?

·       Signature Restaurant

o   Menu

o   Different from Reserve Restaurant

o   Different from Main Dining Room

o   Breakfast

o   Different each day

o   Fresh squeezed orange juice

o   Noise from the Piazza

o   Mimosa’s for breakfast

o   Can we attend the Reserve restaurant

·       Signature Lounge

o   Overall experience

o   Bar Service

o   Concierge

o   Crowded?

o   Happy hours?

o   Entertainment

o   Food/Snacks

·       Misc

o   Aft elevators

o   Special Restaurant first night – book onboard (SOXFAN: If I try to book it on the app it is charging my credit card so I don’t want to do that.  I like to go to the suite dining room the first night to “report in”. But I will ask)

o   Access to Enclave

o   What restaurants are part of the first night program.

o   Balcony furniture?   Recline or don’t recline.

o   Reservations for the shows

o   Bathroom amenities

o    

NOTE:  I won’t be taking pictures of menus or food as I just like to enjoy my meal.  We don’t go to shows but we still ask the relevant questions above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 3/31/2024 at 4:56 PM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Special Restaurant first night – book onboard (SOXFAN: If I try to book it on the app it is charging my credit card so I don’t want to do that.  I like to go to the suite dining room the first night to “report in”. But I will ask)

We too like to 'report in' to the dining room, get our spot, our help, our dietary preferences..  Free specialty restaurant though -- and so many to choose from on Sun --  My plan is to still report in to Signature Dining room earlier in the day - introduce ourselves, let them know what time we expect to be there most days, etc . Will also be sure to have breakfast there..- and then still take advantage of the included Specialty Restaurant so as not to lose the perk - just some food for thought (lol),

Looking forward to hearing all about it when you return - thanks for doing this and enjoy your trip!

12 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

We too like to 'report in' to the dining room, get our spot, our help, our dietary preferences..  Free specialty restaurant though -- and so many to choose from on Sun --  My plan is to still report in to Signature Dining room earlier in the day - introduce ourselves, let them know what time we expect to be there most days, etc . Will also be sure to have breakfast there..- and then still take advantage of the included Specialty Restaurant so as not to lose the perk - just some food for thought (lol),

Looking forward to hearing all about it when you return - thanks for doing this and enjoy your trip!

Couldn't you just eat lunch there the first day and ask all of those questions then?

They used to let us use the gratis Specialty meal any time in the cruise rather than just the first night. Too bad that went away.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

Couldn't you just eat lunch there the first day and ask all of those questions then?

They used to let us use the gratis Specialty meal any time in the cruise rather than just the first night. Too bad that went away.

They have waved our specialty dining room meal on another day recently.  Not sure it actually went away if you mention it to the concierge. Not demand it but use sort of “ mention it”.🤪

• Like 2

Thanks for doing this, would really love some clarification on the Signature Sundeck for families staying in a suite. I can understand how the Sanctuary might be adult only, but I don't see how Princess can market suites to families, but then break those families apart if they want to sit together on the Signature Sundeck. Seems like really bad public relations and marketing to do that given the ship is targeted towards families with kids given the addition of Park 19. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2024 at 11:45 PM, cr2000 said:

Thanks for doing this, would really love some clarification on the Signature Sundeck for families staying in a suite. I can understand how the Sanctuary might be adult only, but I don't see how Princess can market suites to families, but then break those families apart if they want to sit together on the Signature Sundeck. Seems like really bad public relations and marketing to do that given the ship is targeted towards families with kids given the addition of Park 19. 

The other side of that - just as sticky - how do you market the Sanctuary as adult only then allow kids - even if they are in a suite?? 🤷🏻‍♀️

2 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

The other side of that - just as sticky - how do you market the Sanctuary as adult only then allow kids - even if they are in a suite?? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Agree, I think Princess has some work to do here. Logically the Suite Sun Deck should be for ANYONE regardless of age staying in a suite. That Sun Deck is clearly dedicated to Suite guests. It gets tricky with The Sanctuary, because now Princess is making it free to all Suite guests, and only selling passes if there is availability to non-Suite guests. In that sense, you have to question who "owns" that Sanctuary space (and is it even "The Sanctuary" anymore). Is it Suite guests that lay claim to it, or all guests on board? If it's the former, then you're back to excluding paying guests in a suite from utilizing space they paid for just because they brought family with them. How Princess plays this will certainly effect bookings, it all comes down to which direction generates the most $. On Royal and NCL, suite guests get their own private space - and their children are welcome to join them, will Princess take a different direction or move in the direction of the cruise industry?

On 4/3/2024 at 10:45 PM, cr2000 said:

The same way they break them up when the kids go to the kid's clubs.  There are plenty of "kid" spaces on the Sun in addition to the clubs. Families can enjoy the Lido deck pools if they want to be together, in addition to the Wake View and Dome pools as well.  The Sanctuary is just that, a sanctuary which should be quiet and tranquil. That's simply not going to happen if they allow kids. If anything the Sun is lacking in adult spaces compared to other family lines such as Disney.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cr2000 said:

Agree, I think Princess has some work to do here. Logically the Suite Sun Deck should be for ANYONE regardless of age staying in a suite. That Sun Deck is clearly dedicated to Suite guests. It gets tricky with The Sanctuary, because now Princess is making it free to all Suite guests, and only selling passes if there is availability to non-Suite guests. In that sense, you have to question who "owns" that Sanctuary space (and is it even "The Sanctuary" anymore). Is it Suite guests that lay claim to it, or all guests on board? If it's the former, then you're back to excluding paying guests in a suite from utilizing space they paid for just because they brought family with them. How Princess plays this will certainly effect bookings, it all comes down to which direction generates the most $. On Royal and NCL, suite guests get their own private space - and their children are welcome to join them, will Princess take a different direction or move in the direction of the cruise industry?

Since it seems the Sanctuary is the only Adults Only space on Sun, I don't expect that to change. I agree when booking it should be made clear that the space is for 16+ when booking families.  There also seems to be plenty of other space throughout the ship for families, and kids.  It is not unreasonable for kids to want to be with other kids in the clubs, and parents can have some alone, adult time.  There are many other Suite perks (like concierge lounge, Signature restaurant,) that all family members can still enjoy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Since it seems the Sanctuary is the only Adults Only space on Sun, I don't expect that to change. I agree when booking it should be made clear that the space is for 16+ when booking families.  There also seems to be plenty of other space throughout the ship for families, and kids.  It is not unreasonable for kids to want to be with other kids in the clubs, and parents can have some alone, adult time.  There are many other Suite perks (like concierge lounge, Signature restaurant,) that all family members can still enjoy. 

I don't disagree, but the issue you have is that paying a suite premium confers benefits of a private pool without crowds. Many families will happily pay for that amenity, but excluding children of those families (who also may enjoy a crowd free pool) seems problematic. Royal, NCL, and MSC offer similar suite venues and allow it to be a family inclusive experience. I think Princess has a real marketing issue here, particularly given they added Park 19 to attract families to this ship. It's just not in alignment with the direction of the cruise industry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

I don't disagree, but the issue you have is that paying a suite premium confers benefits of a private pool without crowds. Many families will happily pay for that amenity, but excluding children of those families (who also may enjoy a crowd free pool) seems problematic. Royal, NCL, and MSC offer similar suite venues and allow it to be a family inclusive experience. I think Princess has a real marketing issue here, particularly given they added Park 19 to attract families to this ship. It's just not in alignment with the direction of the cruise industry.

One of the suite benefits on older ships is complimentary access to the Thermal Suite which is also an adult only area.  This isn't something new to Princess or the industry.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

I agree.  I think Princess has made some tactical errors with the Signature roll out.  Other cruise lines seem to have a more cogent strategy for ship-within-a-ship.  For one thing, suite-only sections of their ships offer both adults-only and family-friendly relaxation spaces.  Also, there are adults-only relaxation spaces available for non-suite passengers, so there’s none of this ambiguity about whether passes will or will not be available on any given cruise (and, if they are available, how many there will be).  I also can’t fathom the rationale for putting the roller glider immediately adjacent to the Sanctuary on Sun. Call me crazy, but there’s something about having screaming children whizzing by overhead while I’m trying to relax that just not say “sanctuary” or “adults only” to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

I also can’t fathom the rationale for putting the roller glider immediately adjacent to the Sanctuary on Sun. Call me crazy, but there’s something about having screaming children whizzing by overhead while I’m trying to relax that just not say “sanctuary” or “adults only” to m

VERY CURIOUS to hear reports about that when Park 19 is fully open!  That would be a truly epic fail.

• Like 1

I just knew that Princess wouldn’t get the suites only experience right. They are a comfort, “welcome home” cruise line but have never been able to do the higher class service right. It’s being rolled out in exactly the way I expected Princess to do it. And I TOTALLY agree about that dumb roller glider and its location to the Sanctuary!  Look at the Grand Class ships. The outdoor part of the kids club is right above the aft adults only pool!

I’m going in with high hopes and low expectations.  But I’ll have a great cruise either way!  Rome is amazing!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I just knew that Princess wouldn’t get the suites only experience right. They are a comfort, “welcome home” cruise line but have never been able to do the higher class service right. It’s being rolled out in exactly the way I expected Princess to do it. And I TOTALLY agree about that dumb roller glider and its location to the Sanctuary!  Look at the Grand Class ships. The outdoor part of the kids club is right above the aft adults only pool!

I’m going in with high hopes and low expectations.  But I’ll have a great cruise either way!  Rome is amazing!!!

I do love Rome! Can’t wait to hear your take on the Sun, @Sox Fan Cruiser!  I know it will be great even if Princess hasn’t quite gotten things right yet.

• Like 1

Onboard!  And already loving the ship!!  And to my surprise, service is really good!  

Considering doing a “live-ish” cruise review but will see. 

(already started my suite experience research but not giving any hints yet!🤪)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5