Has anyone ever successfully disembarked early (downline) and how to on NCL

I'm traveling transatlantic repositioning NYC-Southampton England next month.  NYC is the only US port on this itinerary.  I would like to get off the day before in Harve (Paris)

All the front line has no idea on how to accomplish this.  Any insight is appreciated.

We had a portion of our party depart a cruise early for a funeral. The death occurred about 2 days before embarkation.  It was not a close enough relationship for trip insurance to apply.

This was on Holland America, not NCL.

Posted (edited)

FWIW, 2 of our CC friends were on the Sun - westbound TA with first USA stop in NY & continuing to FL, ship then continue to repo ... that was a little more than a year ago,   They contacted NCL prior to embarkation as their home is NYC, and asked about disembarking in NY and were advised it is allowed (believed the travel agent they used inquired about it on their behalf, owning the booking)   They didn't have to wait until being on the ship as they would otherwise need to make one-way flight arrangement to fly home, left the ship 2 days earlier than the full itinerary.  That TA sailing, apparently, was offered as both 15 and 17 days and they booked it without realizing the shorter one, ending in NY.  Regardless, they're happy and they actually received (doubled) points for all 17 days, not 15 days - and DSC for their 15 days only ... they're pretty happy & pleasantly surprised. 

When we're on the eastbound "Epic" TA last April, saw a handful of ship pax disembarking with luggage at 2+ island ports in Spain, before the final end of that itinerary in Barcelona.  Apparently, it is permitted in select and specific cruise itinerary depending on the countries.  

P.S. They email NCL and apparently had it as documented approval, just in case.

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 2

On 3/8/2024 at 4:05 PM, yoolykeme said:

I'm traveling transatlantic repositioning NYC-Southampton England next month.  NYC is the only US port on this itinerary.  I would like to get off the day before in Harve (Paris)

All the front line has no idea on how to accomplish this.  Any insight is appreciated.

This has come up a couple of times recently on the CC boards.  The answer is "it depends."  We did it two years ago following a Trans Atlantic cruise.  We contacted NCL well in advance to make arrangements.  I would suggest emailing NCL Senior Vice President for Guest Relations Katy Byrd, kbyrd@ncl.com.  I would not recommend waiting until you are onboard the ship, as you may find yourself facing some significant penalties and fees for not giving NCL advance notice.

On 3/11/2024 at 10:43 PM, yoolykeme said:

Oh super cool. Thanks for this. I was about to ask if anyone had the email address to inquire. 

Please let us know what Katty Byrd manages to work out for you.  Hope you can follow your plan and get off early.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a definitive answer:

Katty Byrd's office called me to say that they approved the downline, and that it's in the system.  I just need to confirm once I get on the ship.  Also, once I leave the ship at my early port, I can't get back on, so make sure that I have everything.  Also, I have to carry my own bags off.  I can also cancel the downline and finish the cruise, should I reconsider before my downline port.

Now, I need to read threads on how to get to Paris city from the port lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yoolykeme said:

Thank you, very much. So much better than most any other post on this board.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:19 PM, yoolykeme said:

Katty Byrd's office called me to say that they approved the downline, and that it's in the system.  I just need to confirm once I get on the ship.  Also, once I leave the ship at my early port, I can't get back on, so make sure that I have everything.  Also, I have to carry my own bags off.  I can also cancel the downline and finish the cruise, should I reconsider before my downline port.

thanks for reporting back on your response from NCL

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 7:19 PM, yoolykeme said:

Train