Oasis of the Seas Live, March 10th - 17th. Ain't no better place, ain't no better time than here and now.

5 hours ago, perfect match said:

I know I’m not the only one here who is grateful that you’re always willing to take us along with you. 

Any time @A&L_Ont wants to pick me up along the way I need very little notice to pack a bag and grab my guitar.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Thank you for sharing your cruise! I really enjoyed reading it. Helps pass the time until our family cruise next Feb 2025 (Bella 2 on Wonder). It will be the first time we (my 3 sons, their significant others and I) will sail in Star class cabins. Long wait but we are really excited!!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you for a great ride along! It was terrific!

I have a question…

You and your family have sailed Harmony a few times. I think this was your first sail on Oasis, an older ship. Did you notice much of a difference, or do you have a favorite between the two ships?

Oasis has sailed out of Bayonne, NJ for the past few years, and I have fallen in love with her. We will be on the Symphony sailing out of Bayonne for three cruises this year. I hope to love the Symphony as much as the Oasis!

Edited by loug1601

10 hours ago, loug1601 said:

I have a question…

You and your family have sailed Harmony a few times. I think this was your first sail on Oasis, an older ship. Did you notice much of a difference, or do you have a favorite between the two ships?

Oasis has sailed out of Bayonne, NJ for the past few years, and I have fallen in love with her. We will be on the Symphony sailing out of Bayonne for three cruises this year. I hope to love the Symphony as much as the Oasis!

@loug1601  hope you don’t mind me answering.   We have been on the oasis a number of times and once since it got playmakers, music hall, new aqua show.  We took the symphony over on its first ta in 2018.   You will love the symphony imo.  Terrific shows and options.  If I had to choose, I would select the symphony over oasis, just slightly as outside of the Aqua show, not crazy about the other shows. 

• Like 2

@maggieq

I appreciate your response. I was on Symphony in 2018, but for some reason, I’m drawing a black on the ship. Your reply sparked my memory of the shows…much better than Oasis (except Aqua 80 which cannot be topped in my opinion 😊). 

thanks again!

Pat

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 2:08 PM, cruisingpeople said:

Question.... Is it me, or did anyone else notice in the Schooner Bar video, (actually, I believe it was in the Pub), that between the 0:08 & 0:15 second mark, that even though the musicians hand was off the guitar, the chords for the song were still playing?🤔🤔

On 3/11/2024 at 2:25 PM, SilkySal said:

Had to go back to look again and, by golly, you're right! At least his voice isn't recorded.😉

On 3/11/2024 at 2:46 PM, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I am so far from musically inclined it’s ridiculous but I I have noticed this before with other pub musicians.  From what I could gather it looks like they record a certain part and can switch it on and off with the foot pedal to get different effects and play overtop of what  they recorded in the beginning to get the sound of multiple guitars.  This is just a total guess from watching with zero musical talent 😂

On 3/11/2024 at 3:24 PM, A&L_Ont said:

The bold above is exactly the answer. He sampled some of his own playing and used it as a layer. They can’t get anything past you all here. 😀

Sorry this is so late after the party.  Just catching up now.  I know this is now a bit OT but since the cruise is now finished, I hope it is OK.  @SteelCityCruiser10 actually did very good at answering for a "Non-Musician" 😉 and Andrew @A&L_Ont used the right term "Layer"

It is done with a loop pedal, sometimes a very simple pedal, sometimes more sophisticated gear is used.   It helps for one man band or duos to create layers of themselves and then accompany themselves to create a fuller and more varied sound.

Here is a great demonstration/example from a few years ago by a great Canadian duo (Whitehorse) that I very much like.  At the 2:30 mark, they start layering several loops to create a multi-track of themselves.

Loving your review once again Andrew.  I'm still catching up.  Sugaring season started early over here on the east coast.  It's keeping us busy 😉 

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dpostman said:

Sorry this is so late after the party.  Just catching up now.  I know this is now a bit OT but since the cruise is now finished, I hope it is OK.  @SteelCityCruiser10 actually did very good at answering for a "Non-Musician" 😉 and Andrew @A&L_Ont used the right term "Layer"

It is done with a loop pedal, sometimes a very simple pedal, sometimes more sophisticated gear is used.   It helps for one man band or duos to create layers of themselves and then accompany themselves to create a fuller and more varied sound.

Thank you for clarifying this!  Glad I didn’t totally mislead everyone.  lol 

I’ve spent a lot of time occupying various bar stools across many of Royals Pubs!  🍻 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 11:04 AM, A&L_Ont said:

Currently relaxing on the suite sundeck. Hot as Haiti here, comment on purpose in the spirit of Labadee. 

We have Cuba to the right of us. 

IMG_4418.thumb.jpeg.6ce344700c65e4e31dea015507501340.jpeg

Freighters to the left. 

IMG_4419.thumb.jpeg.4e24c55865576841671298031c70ae1c.jpeg 

It’s a feet up kind of day.  Sunscreen applied. 

DF4CB87E-FFE5-4E7D-AA0C-2BBEA421899B.thumb.jpeg.ced94cd2ea56abdb644bee7a07e6f680.jpeg

The dates don't match up, but while at the beach in Cuba, we did see a few Cruise Ships.  One of which I'm sure was a smallish RC.  My Marine traffic app was not cooperating so I could not see what ship it was.

Perhaps some eagle eyes here can better identify it. This was taken Thursday March 7th.

image.png.312a593c64162859aa03cc27c249266b.png

Edited by dpostman

3 hours ago, dpostman said:

The dates don't match up, but while at the beach in Cuba, we did see a few Cruise Ships.  One of which I'm sure was a smallish RC.  My Marine traffic app was not cooperating so I could not see what ship it was.

Perhaps some eagle eyes here can better identify it. This was taken Thursday March 7th.

image.png.312a593c64162859aa03cc27c249266b.png

It is a bit blurred when I zoom in. However, from what I can make out of the shape of the stern I think it is either a Voyager or Freedom class ship. And though I can't see the balcony structure well, it has more of a solid look to me which would further indicate to me that it is either Voyager, Adventure, or Explorer.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is a bit blurred when I zoom in. However, from what I can make out of the shape of the stern I think it is either a Voyager or Freedom class ship. And though I can't see the balcony structure well, it has more of a solid look to me which would further indicate to me that it is either Voyager, Adventure, or Explorer.

Probably Explorer.

Voyager = Cozumel (3/7)

Adventure = Aruba (3/6) to PC (3/9)

Explorer = Labadee (3/6) to MIA (3/8)

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 10:32 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I will keep you in mind during the week. If I don’t hit it on the last day remind me after my final thoughts and I will give you my honest feed back. 

Hi there, glad you had a great cruise. Touching base to ask your thoughts on the ship. Showing its age a bit much?  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 10:02 PM, loug1601 said:

I have a question…

LOL 

By my count , this was their 11th time on Oasis !

It appears they Quite enjoy it !

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blueslily said:

Hi there, glad you had a great cruise. Touching base to ask your thoughts on the ship. Showing its age a bit much?  

Thanks for the reminder.

If one looks with a critical eye, you will some signs of a ship that is 20 years old.  Examples I could easily mention would be sun fade to things like the water slides and life rafts, a few areas of rust which were being painted, a missing arm rest to a chair in the Aqua Theatre but not of these items I saw effected our cruise.  They were no large areas of rust, thread bare seats, stained carpet etc…. things that made us stop and say OMG. 

We might even switch out cruise next year to be on Oasis VS Freedom - to which we also enjoyed. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks for the reminder.

If one looks with a critical eye, you will some signs of a ship that is 20 years old.  Examples I could easily mention would be sun fade to things like the water slides and life rafts, a few areas of rust which were being painted, a missing arm rest to a chair in the Aqua Theatre but not of these items I saw effected our cruise.  They were no large areas of rust, thread bare seats, stained carpet etc…. things that made us stop and say OMG. 

We might even switch out cruise next year to be on Oasis VS Freedom - to which we also enjoyed. 

Actually Oasis is about 15 years old (I think it was delived in 2009) but that doesn't change the point you are making. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

LOL 

Cheers

Oops! You are so correct!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Actually Oasis is about 15 years old (I think it was delived in 2009) but that doesn't change the point you are making. 

That means Cats has been on the ship longer than the ship has been sailing.  Ugh.

Cats was the only "negative" comment I gave on the post cruise survey.  I'm sure the actors, costumes, set etc are great, but the play needs to move on.  Even Lucy agrees. 🙂

• Haha 8

20 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

LOL 

Cheers

19 minutes ago, loug1601 said:

Oops! You are so correct!

You know, it was the ship that we thought was going to overrun ports of call by dumping out so many more guests.  Once we stepped on the ship we knew in minutes that it was a game changer, and it shows by how many times we returned to her.

• Like 3

I remember vividly the first time we saw Oasis.  We were at Costa Maya on a Celebrity ship and our cabin was port side so there was nothing next to us as we were docked facing the port.  When we exited the ship the gangway was on the starboard side.  As we walked out onto the pier…there Oasis was…completely blocking out the sun.  If you’re standing right next to her for the first time she is MASSIVE!!!  We shuddered and thought…we are never ever ever getting…on that ship!

But eventually our curiosity got the better of us.  We did sail her and were amazed at how well she was designed to break up the crowds.  Central Park was absolutely amazing.  There had never been anything like that before!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

That means Cats has been on the ship longer than the ship has been sailing.  Ugh.

Cats was the only "negative" comment I gave on the post cruise survey.  I'm sure the actors, costumes, set etc are great, but the play needs to move on.  Even Lucy agrees. 🙂

Tom and I will be back on Oasis but not until September, 2025. Hopefully, Cats will be gone!🤞 Maybe they'll replace it with All Dogs Go To Heaven.🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

Tom and I will be back on Oasis but not until September, 2025. Hopefully, Cats will be gone!🤞 Maybe they'll replace it with All Dogs Go To Heaven.🤔

I wouldn't bet your house on CATS being gone. I don't think it would be fun to be homeless.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wouldn't bet your house on CATS being gone. I don't think it would be fun to be homeless.

Maybe they'll "mistakenly" throw out all of the costumes during her refurb this Fall. One can only hope!

• Haha 2